Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any wireless router geeks out there? Can I use my router as connection?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any wireless router geeks out there? Can I use my router as connection?

We're about to depart on a long journey (6-7 weeks) in our RV. I had the idea that I could take my Asus RT-AC66u router on the road and use it to connect to the RV parks' wifi as a single device then connect various toys to it with cables. Some parks only allow a single device per camper and constantly re-logging on to switch devices is a PITA. Plus then my daughter's Roku can work effortlessly so she can enjoy her evening shows.

My problem is I don't know exactly what this usage is termed. I keep searching for "Access point" but that gets me the setup as I use it now. I want to use it like a wifi adapter with wired connections.

What do I search for?

Please Read Me

After thinking about this for a while, I don't think it is possible to connect your wi-fi (wireless) router to the camps broadband without connecting it to the phone line. If the camps that you will be staying at have access to a phone line in each parking bay then you should be able to connect the router to it using a cable. Otherwise I think your best option is to use something like this http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/t...ernet-wifi.htm but these type of devices use the 3G/4G mobile networks.

Edit: I've just found this http://www.countrymilewifi.com/how-t...t-devices.aspx
    Last edited by Guest; May 20, 2014, 02:15 AM.

Comment

I think you need to configure your wireless router as a wireless repeater.

Some googling found this, which looks promising:
      http://support.asus.com/FAQ/Detail.a...750&m=RT-AC66U
      sigpic
      "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
      -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Sounds like you may want a wireless Access Point. Some only receive wireless N or only have one wired connection. I haven't done this yet but was looking into it.

You could try this: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged.

How about a "Digital Detox"?

Ken.
        Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Comment

IMHO: Another term to look for is "bridge", but for what you want I agree with HalationEffect, "repeater" is probably a better term. Make sure and look at your manual, as the terminology doesn't seem to standard across vendors. From the link HalationEffect posted: "To setup the Media bridge mode, you need two RT-AC66U routers..." Hopefully that is just poorly worded and you don't really need 2 of the same router for that mode to function. I would definitely try this out before you have everyone waiting on you after a long day on the road !

If you have an old router, you might try an open source firmware. I put tomato on my old linksys wrt54g and I like it! However, haven't done anything fancy, but my disconnection problems went away. Sounds like a fun project. Have fun with it and your vacation.
          FKA: tanderson

Comment

If you download and install the proper DD-WRT firmware for your router: http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index
            you can use this video to show how to use it as a wireless repeater:
            Last edited by GreyGeek; May 20, 2014, 09:44 AM.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Yeah, GG I thought about that. I had DD-WRT on my old WRT54G (series 1) and it was a huge improvement over the factory firmware. I actually like the stock Asus firmware and last I checked, DD-WRT hadn't implemented AC yet. Regardless, I'll watch that video (thanks!) it might just lead me down the right path.

BTW, my new phone is amazingly quick connected to the Asus! I currently have dual band 2.4 + 5 GHz setup on it, but several of our older devices use the stock Verizon G connection anyway.

I think the Media bridge function that Asus talks about assumes you want a wireless connection to the router, thus the need for two routers. I just want to use the router to log into the wifi and then I'll plug into the ethernet ports. I think I should be able to do that with one router. One web page I saw last night made it look like I could do it with stock firmware.

Please Read Me

Comment

I just checked and DD-WRT does indeed support Ac now. I wonder if I could configure one radio to connect to the wifi source and one to connect to devices. That would be cool!

Please Read Me

Comment

I think I'll have to set up something like this. I'm moving to new digs, but will have to share the internet connection. Not sure I want to have all my shares visible, though my roomies are not overly techie. I have plenty of options at least.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                    I just checked and DD-WRT does indeed support Ac now. I wonder if I could configure one radio to connect to the wifi source and one to connect to devices. That would be cool!
                    Can't you just connect to your repeater's ethernet ports? Mine has 4 on the back. With passive router one could add four more to make seven.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

you might need to bridge then use an access point connected to a wan port so you can serve up a new signal without that device limit.
                      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                        Can't you just connect to your repeater's ethernet ports? Mine has 4 on the back. With passive router one could add four more to make seven.
                        Yeah, that's the actual plan. It's not like the RV is too big for cables

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                        X