Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 7 crash and burn, but Precise saves the day!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 7 crash and burn, but Precise saves the day!

I friend of mine on whose machine I installed a dual boot of Precise a couple years ago called Friday and said his Win7 side was "stuck in Explorer".

It happened at the end of an update, which required a reboot. After rebooting and logging in his desktop showed Windows Explorer opened to a "Save" or "Run" page, refering to the FireFox browser. When he clicked run nothing happened. When he clicked save nothing appeared to happen. Every time he tries to open an application it appears in that Explorer page offering the same two options.

I picked up his laptop and brought it home. When I booted it I got the same Explorer page, and for any other app I attempted to run, even from the "Run" box, while attempting to open a console screen so I could run regedit and clear up the bad links. I tried Ctl+Shft+Esc to bring up the task manager and then tried to open a console from there, but that didn't work either. None of the three methods to open a console in Win7 worked. I noticed in the Task Manager that over 600 copies of explorer.exe were running. The first was using 47Kb of memory, the rest just 1.5Kb. I right moused on the first and used the option to open explorer on that directory, highlighting explorer.exe. I renamed it to explorer_x.exe and watched as all but the first of the instances of explorer.exe unloaded. When I "End Process" on the remaining explorer.exe the desktop disappeared, as I knew it would.

I found out that every time the "save or run" explorer page appeared, even when called by system services, one didn't have to click either save or run, explorer automatically replaced the executable with an explorer link.

Since grub was on sda2, the reserve was on sda3, Win7 on sda5 and Kubuntu on sda6 I wasn't afraid of losing access to Kubuntu. I booted into Precise and used K3b to save DVDs of all the important documents on Win7. I ran antiav on sda3 and sda5 and found 10 viruses and 11,900 destroyed executables and files, mostly system. The Win7 installation was hosed.

I rebooted and selected the recovery mode for Win7. It gave me two options: 1) reinstall the system files but leave the data intact. 2) format the C: (sda5 as far as Win7 knew) and reinstall the system. I tried the first and rebooted. No joy. Same mess as before. On the reboot I took the second option. That worked. It gave me a pristine Win7 desktop. I installed MS Security Essentials, then FireFox, LibreOffice and adobe flashplayer, and unpinned Explorer and the Welcome app, and uninstalled Bing, EBay and McAfee. Now his Acer 7250 is in the exact same shape it was in when he bought it new and had me put Kubuntu on it. Since grub defaults on Kubuntu, and following this horrific experience even with MS SE installed and active, I suspect that he will spend most of his time in Precise from now on.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; May 18, 2014, 12:56 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Foresight and Kubuntu Linux, a powerful combination to be sure.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Seen that many, many, many times. MS recovery is actually a joke. 99% of the time I've had to reinstall.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        I installed MS Security Essentials
        I can no longer in good conscience recommend this. Since 2012, Microsoft has been shedding security products. The firewalls (ISA Server and Forefront Threat Management Gateway) are long gone. The server protection editions (Forefront for Exchange, SharePoint, Office Communications Server) are discontinued. The important remote access features in Forefront Unified Access Gateway were moved into Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2. Forefront Identity Manager is still around, but it's likely to receive only one more update in 2015, and then be subsumed into Active Directory. Forefront Endpoint Protection, the enterprise client version of Security Essentials, is also still around, but has been moved into the System Center product group. That group is likely to lose interest in it eventually.

tl;dr: Microsoft appears to be abandoning the security products market, and the talent that maintained them has moved on. I would recommend Malwarebytes instead.

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
        MS recovery is actually a joke. 99% of the time I've had to reinstall.
        True for Windows 7. In Windows 8, it's actually pretty decent.

Comment

Luckily we don't (at work) or even I personally don't have Windows 8 to even "experiment" with that. Hopefully they did improve that.

Comment

Do I dare even think about posting this?

Die-hard Kubuntu/Linux here. You know me, end of story. That said ...

New (i5, 8GB, 750 GB, etc.) Asus laptop for the spousal unit, who is not computer proficient, just wants on-demand email, sports scores, Skype, browsing, family photo management. Comes with Windows 8.1. I haven't used Windows since XP in 2007 or so. But I gotta say, I can't yet see anything wrong with 8.1. You quickly get used to the Start (Tile) menu; and can quickly switch between it and Desktop w/o problems. And so on. The Recovery option looks good to me, and am glad to hear S-R's comments above. It comes with Windows Defender. My reasoning for using it is simple: surely MS wouldn't risk tons of laptops by reputable makers, used by tons of users, if Defender weren't good enough. For sure, 8.1 is not for me necessarily (though I used it to maintain and help with her system); but it seems to work nicely, without to much ado for her, and, therefore, it is nice for me. Thoughts on Defender? Or am I starting something naughty here?

Last edited by Qqmike; May 28, 2014, 06:13 AM. Reason: formatting
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
              It comes with Windows Defender. My reasoning for using it is simple: surely MS wouldn't risk tons of laptops by reputable makers, used by tons of users, if Defender weren't good enough. For sure, 8.1 is not for me necessarily (though I used it to maintain and help with her system); but it seems to work nicely, without to much ado for her, and, therefore, it is nice for me. Thoughts on Defender? Or am I starting something naughty here?
              In Windows 7, Defender was limited to anti-spyware. At one time there was a subscription-based product, One Care, that included anti-virus and -- perplexingly -- a host firewall (why add a firewall when the operating system has one? Duh.) That product was dropped and replaced by Security Essentials, which included the anti-virus portion of One Care, an updated anti-spyware detection/removal mechanism, and a basic intrusion detection mechanism based on heuristics. Installing Security Essentials on Windows 7 will disable the built-in Defender.

To ensure perpetual confusion amongst customers, the thing called Defender in Windows 8 is actually a new version of Security Essentials, redesigned for Windows 8. Defender in Windows 8 is not just anti-spyware as it was in Windows 7; it's the complete anti-malware engine from Security Essentials.

Nevertheless, I'd recommend you shut it down and replace it with Malwarebytes.

Comment

Thanks for that, Steve. Appreciate your taking time to illuminate this for me/us.
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks for you input, Steve. I am sending the link to this thread, and your comments, to my friend whose Win7 installation I re-installed.
                  $25 for the premium version of Malwarebytes is a reasonable price.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                  X