This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LXDE merger with Razor-Qt

For those following the merger, siduction has just released a Developmental 64-bit Live ISO with the new LXQt desktop.
    Last edited by dibl; May 11, 2014, 08:44 AM.

Do you know if this release supports btrfs at install time?

Please Read Me

Comment

I've seen only one screenshot of LXQt so far and it appears to be pretty much like KDE.
      Is LXQt desktop intended to be to KDE something like Xfce is to GNOME, i. e., a lightweight alternative that resembles the more resource hungry desktop environment counterpart?

Comment

LxQt is lxde rewritten with Qt . I would not say it has any real relation to kde. The move to Qt is due to gtk2 no longer being maintained, and gtk3 isn't light enough for Lxde's purposes. It still looks the same as it always has for years, to my eyes.

It is much much more light weight than xfce.

I am sure lxde apps and kde ones will likely visually look better on each other's desktop, and wonder what the future brings.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk, like that really matters

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          Do you know if this release supports btrfs at install time?
          I saw the expected "Searching for btrfs filesystems" in the early boot messages, so it's a yes. The partitioning screens were a little non-intuitive, to me. It wants to default to a /, /home, and swap 3-way scheme, and I just learned that you are allowed to enter "0B" in the second two, which is what I would have wanted to do on a VM installation. I got it installed on a VM as the 3-way scheme, and it boots and runs fine, but now I'm having an issue with vmware tools. The tools installer claims to be seeing a pre-existing vmci module that it didn't install, and won't proceed. I found one instance, removed it, and cannot find any further instances with "find", so I dunno. The built-in "settings" let me change to a 1400x1024 window for the session, but I haven't had time to investigate how durable that is across boots -- I suspect it is not.
          Last edited by dibl; May 11, 2014, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Ahh, a light weight distro that starts with 64-bit, weird...

I'm presently running QTRazor on my 'Media Center' , a 600MMHz PIII with 192MB of RAM and it works well, I'd be very interested in giving the newly merged desktop a try but will have to wait for the 32-bit version.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
              Ahh, a light weight distro that starts with 64-bit, weird...

I'm presently running QTRazor on my 'Media Center' , a 600MMHz PIII with 192MB of RAM and it works well, I'd be very interested in giving the newly merged desktop a try but will have to wait for the 32-bit version.
              If you really want to try LXQT in 32 bit then download the edition from Manjaro http://sourceforge.net/projects/manj...qt/0.8.10-0.7/

But just like with the siduction edition the Manjaro edition is still a work in progress (beta)

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                ... will have to wait for the 32-bit version.
                Me too -- I have an older Toshiba NB-280 netbook that presently runs siduction LXDE, 32-bit. Since LXDE is "end of life", more or less, I'll be installing LXQt when they release a 32-bit image.

Comment

lxqt/lubuntu ppa
                  I don't see a "lubuntu-desktop" package yet, don't think they are that far along keeping up with the Lxqt folks, but the package to install is lxqt-metapackage

There were some conflicts with some old lxde packages, so I had to manually uninstall some things, but it does work.
                  And I lied a bit, since it uses Qt bits such as file picker (which looks a hell of a lot like KDE one, which it might actually be using) It really does have a certain KDE flair that didn't use to exist in older Qt things. It is interesting how so many of the dialogs and popups are the same between KDE and Qt, which didn't use to be the case. Plain Qt used to be butt-ugly wrapped in doo-doo.

Pcmanfm still rocks

Some of the systray/panel icons look like the old early KDE4/kde3 ones

Comment

Originally posted by dibl View Post
                    The built-in "settings" let me change to a 1400x1024 window for the session, but I haven't had time to investigate how durable that is across boots -- I suspect it is not.
                    Update: I was pleasantly surprised to find that the custom screen size, which is actually 1400x1050, is preserved across reboots, so maybe I don't care so much about the vmware tools issue. It is running nicely in VMware Player today, fully updated this morning and able to see and share files with my host Linux user folder. A nice little pet guinea pig for experimentation.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl View Post
                      A nice little pet guinea pig for experimentation.
                      Until you grow tired of playing around. Then you can do to it what my cat did to the spider he discovered this morning: after a few minutes of batting the poor thing around, he gobbled the thing up! Ick.

Comment

And I've played a bit with this Siduction 14.1.0 DEV release. Very nice and fast, and it does have a KDE feel, probably because of Qt and some icons.
                        Here's an interesting review
                        Cheers.
                        Last edited by geoaraujo; May 20, 2014, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X