This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Thoughts on the Avant Browser

Back when I was browser hunting for a Windows friend, I came across this; http://www.avantbrowser.com/ and just about died laughing at the hype on this webpage alone. The images look like they are promoting a new graphics card. You could almost imagine the webpage being read in the deep movie guy voice over. Some to most of their "100% guarantees" are questionable at best. They say things like "no advertisements and no malware" and "no memory leak" not fewer or less but none. I am a doctor and I never deal in absolutes.

Don't bother looking for a Linux version but for laughs I had her download and we gave it a test run. First she was looking for on the fly translation which this apparently doesn't have. I went to a heavy flash webpage with flash games. They told me the browser was out of date please upgrade to Chrome, IE, or Safari. So this explains how they prevent or block those ads if the browser has issues with flash.

She was pressed for time so we removed Avant Browser. Otherwise I'm certain more testing would have discovered much more results about this odd browser. I don't mean to make sport of people's hard work, but if you want to wrestle control out of the hands of IE, Chrome or Fox, you need to be honest, support common features, and not just run a graphic intense webpage.

Avant Browser in it's simplest form IS Internet Explorer, with some added functions. It uses Trident, the renderer engine of IE, etc. from IE. Since some time there's a second version of Avast that includes also Webkit (renderer engine of Safari and till a few months ago Google Chrome) and Gecko (renderer engine of Firefox).
    So if there's a safety problem in IE (or Safari, or Firefox), it's also a problem in Avast.
    Most, maybe even all, extra functions Avast has can be installed via extensions and similar. Since Avast is build upon those other browser(s), updating is always behind the original IE, Safari, Firefox, etc., I think it's much better to use the original. Especially for safety problems fast updating is important.
    Last edited by Goeroeboeroe; Apr 29, 2014, 07:15 AM. Reason: I never miss my traditional typo, grrr

Comment

Rather like MyIE2.......

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
      X