This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

English (Traditional, Simplified)

This was making the rounds at work today...

Yuk yuk.

Haw haw haw.I like to hear the British version spoken. Kinda like I like to watch a procession of Civil War cavalry re-enactors go by on their horses, complete with swords and flags. It all takes me back to the olden days .....

Comment

That's a good one!
      The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Well British English is traditional english. When the Americans adopted the English language they butchered it to simplify it. For example removing letters from common English words (e.g. color instead of colour) and replacing letters in words based on the sounds (e.g. organization instead of organisation)

Comment

Or getting rid of French heritage in words like center vs. the original centre.
          And continuing to expand the Great Vowel Shift.

Somewhat similar to what happened to the Dutch language in South Africa.
          (always wondered where/when this icon would fit)

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
            For example ... replacing letters in words based on the sounds (e.g. organization instead of organisation)
            You're wrong about that one. The -ize spellings are the original English spellings, and they still are for the Oxford University Press. Spelling -ize words with -ise started in the later 19th century under the influence of French. Unfortunately, schools in the UK have standardized with the -ise spellings, so a couple of generations have grown up thinking that -ize is American. They really don't like it when they have to use "academic" spelling, with the -ize.

Regards, John Little
            Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
              Well British English is traditional english. When the Americans adopted the English language they butchered it to simplify it. For example removing letters from common English words (e.g. color instead of colour) and replacing letters in words based on the sounds (e.g. organization instead of organisation)
              Well, I don't know sod all about language, but if you think modern Brits speak "Traditional English" you're either telling pork pies or you're all at sixes and sevens!

Please Read Me

Comment

Maybe Feathers could chime in here soon and set us all straight!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                  Maybe Feathers could chime in here soon and set us all straight!
                  The UK is the same as the rest of the world with regards to dialects, and they are all different depending on which part of the UK you are.
                  The only part of the UK where there is no dialect is Oban in Western Scotland, anyone who was born and grown up there speaks what we term as Queens English. no dialect or accent at all.

Be thankful Linux does not use Yorkshire or Geordie English.

In English,
                  The last time I looked Leeds was still in West Yorkshire, and in the early 70s Leeds education dept did the same to make it easier or so they thought, thankfully it was dropped.

In Yorkshire English.
                  T' last tahhm ah looked t'big city wor still part o' west Yorksha, 'n int' early 70s t'big city education dept did t' sem, changed orl t' spellin ta mek it easia, or sa thee thowt, thankfully it wor droped.

In Geordie English.
                  The last time ah leukt Leeds wes still in west yorkshie, an' in the early 70s Leeds education dept did the syem tuh myek it easyior or see the' thowt, thankfully it wes droped.

And for what it is worth I have lived both sides of the pond,

Comment

Working...
                  X