X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] New to all this - Just got going with Trusty

Hi.

I've been fed up with my old computer for quite a while now. To cut a long story short, it was a cheap desktop boutght from a liquidation sale in early 2008 with Vista on it. Within weeks, I'd been forced to run Ubuntu Hardy Heron due to a crash with Vista screwing up my file permissions.

Eventually, Hardy ran out of steam and I was having problems with updated versions, finally stalling with Natty Narwahl. This machine just doesn't like Unity/Gnome 3/Cinnamon and was really quite unreliable. X was crashing all the time with videos and the machine was put out to grass in the kids' playroom as an add-on when dad was using the big one downstairs. I used it a lot when we had guests in the room with the big computer too.

We have vistitors, and I was using this machine again, yesterday. I got so fed up, I had a hairbrained idea to see if Kubuntu would be any good. I'd tried Kubuntu on the other machine and thought it OK, but always preferred Cinnamon. So, I installed this yesterday, (Kubuntu Trusty) and I'm very, very impressed. It seems everything is stable and works really well. OK, it's not going to win speed prizes or eyecandy prizes, but it looks good (translucent window borders! Whatever next?) and doesn't keep crashing like the old versions did.

TBH, I may well look at installing this on the big machine downstairs, too. We'll see how it goes.

Big thumbs up from me!

Nice commentary.

I've been using Kubuntu since 2007 and completely rid myself of Windows a few years ago (had it installed in a virtual machine). I find Kubuntu to be, for me, a fully acceptable replacement to Windows. I'm not a Linux/Kubuntu fanbois nor a Windows anti-fanbois. I recognize both for what they are: tools, and I can and do, work with both. But here, at home, I have the choice as to the OS I want to use while at work I don't.

I will admit that I am not the 'typical' PC user. I'm much closer to being a power user having more than a reasonable grasp and understanding of 'how it works' than many I know. I like computers. I like working from the CLI (re: console [DOS prompt]). I like Linux / Kubuntu.

Welcome to Kubuntu Forums . Net
    Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 20, 2014, 10:11 AM.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

My desktop PC is an ebay find for 50 dollars, from about 2010. My daily driver is a refurb laptop from 2008 bought on auction as well.
      It is nice that middle-aged hardware works so well with modern OS's still, and probably will for some time it seems.

Comment

Well, I was so impressed, I've just installed Kubuntu Trusty on the main computer too. Sorted a nice little workaround to stop Nouveau overscanning on my TV, and I'm getting the baby sorted out like I want it.

Further bulletins if events warrant. And how lovely to have wobbly windows back after all this time!

Comment

Just had a hassle-free skype with my elder daughter and not had any significant problems on the main machine at all.

Got hold of a better monitor for the upstairs machine, and of course, the display modes screwed me up, so I did a quick reinstall and it's now going great again. I really like this OS.

Comment

I bought a dell optiplex 755 for 70 bucks, a 1 gig video card and a 120 SSD drive and Kubuntu 14.04 runs flawless. I also admit I'm not a normal user and love kde and the effects. I bought my pc on Amazon so if your looking for a cheap a great pc that will handle Kubuntu then take a look a the dell I have. I did buy myself a 525 psu upgrade for $20 so the video card won't be under powered. Lastly is for the price this pc is upgradable with the CPU, Memory and graphics card. I'm gonna use it for my development and other things. I also have dual 20 inch monitors on her and it's running nicely but will need to get my memory up to 16 gigs but with 8 she does rock kde. Just thought I'd let you know a cheap way which I think cost me total little under $200.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X