Clear All

Windows XP Deadline Missed by IRS

Our tax dollars at work.

IRS Misses XP Deadline, Pays Microsoft Millions For Patches

Does this surprise anyone?
    sigpic

Nope!

Comment

AAaaaaRRrrrgggg ,,,,,,,, and thay want to garnesh my check for not filing 2008 taxes ,,,,,,,, I payed my taxes but dident file ,,,heck thay owed me a refund ,,,,,, but now I owe double+

seams status quo,,,,,,,,,,

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

While you are 'supposed' to file a federal tax return, if you are absolutely sure you are owed a refund, and you don't file, there is no penalty for not doing so; the IRS cannot subsequently create a liability (where you own them) when you didn't have one. Something isn't right. Have you now, filed your 2008 tax return? If not, do so, and it will show (assuming your statement is correct) you are owed a refund.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          While you are 'supposed' to file a federal tax return, if you are absolutely sure you are owed a refund, and you don't file, there is no penalty for not doing so; the IRS cannot subsequently create a liability (where you own them) when you didn't have one. Something isn't right. Have you now, filed your 2008 tax return? If not, do so, and it will show (assuming your statement is correct) you are owed a refund.
          ya ...well the contractor I was working for then is no longer in business and I cant get a copy of the old w2 ,,,,, so thay say I have no proof of paying .........like thay dont know .

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

Fear not! While the IRS may not know how to observe six years of warnings from Microsoft that XP was going away and make plans to migrate to another OS, they are adept at illegally looking into peoples private tax info and passing it on to politicians who use it for political purposes.

An aside: Before I retired one of my jobs for a period of time was to write software to compare IRS income tax information to state income tax information, and then run it and debug it. I downloaded over two dozen zip files from an IRS site, moved them to a computer which had never been connected to the Internet, as per IRS regs, and then processed them with my software to match them up with citizens of the state, culling out those whose IRS tax forms were different by more than a certain amount (was $1K but later set to $5K) from their state tax forms. The number was just about a couple dozen people, but several had difference of over $10,000 and one had a $100,000 difference. Then, one day, I read where some IRS employees had looked at the incomes of some Hollywood actors and were passing the info around their office. Those people were caught and "disciplined". A few days later I got a directive from the IRS. When ever IRS information was on my screen I had to keep a log of everyone who walked by my cubical, noting the date and exact time. The bosses got tired of that and moved the isolated computer to a room at the end of a long hallway. The door was always locked. No one was authorized to go down that hallway except the developer running the software and the bosses. It didn't matter that I never saw an IRS form or the information on it. My software only reported the name, address, SSN and the amount of the significant discrepancy. That information was passed to tax attorneys who then queried the IRS for photo copies of the actual 1040s, or what ever, and compared them with photocopies of the state tax forms submitted by the putative tax evader.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Think of the money the government would save if they converted to a rolling Linux release. Of course the initial cost of designing the system and software, converting all their systems to Linux, training employees etc. would be high, but they would never have to buy Windows software again and they wouldnt be throwing millions of dollars at Microsoft to support a 13 year old dead OS.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                Fear not! While the IRS may not know how to observe six years of warnings from Microsoft that XP was going away and make plans to migrate to another OS, they are adept at illegally looking into peoples private tax info and passing it on to politicians who use it for political purposes.

An aside: Before I retired one of my jobs for a period of time was to write software to compare IRS income tax information to state income tax information, and then run it and debug it. I downloaded over two dozen zip files from an IRS site, moved them to a computer which had never been connected to the Internet, as per IRS regs, and then processed them with my software to match them up with citizens of the state, culling out those whose IRS tax forms were different by more than a certain amount (was $1K but later set to $5K) from their state tax forms. The number was just about a couple dozen people, but several had difference of over $10,000 and one had a $100,000 difference. Then, one day, I read where some IRS employees had looked at the incomes of some Hollywood actors and were passing the info around their office. Those people were caught and "disciplined". A few days later I got a directive from the IRS. When ever IRS information was on my screen I had to keep a log of everyone who walked by my cubical, noting the date and exact time. The bosses got tired of that and moved the isolated computer to a room at the end of a long hallway. The door was always locked. No one was authorized to go down that hallway except the developer running the software and the bosses. It didn't matter that I never saw an IRS form or the information on it. My software only reported the name, address, SSN and the amount of the significant discrepancy. That information was passed to tax attorneys who then queried the IRS for photo copies of the actual 1040s, or what ever, and compared them with photocopies of the state tax forms submitted by the putative tax evader.
                do not any of you people who write software for the tax people bother to include a check to see if the person has payed their taxes and just not filed it ??

not mad at you @GG ,,,,,,just mad

VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                  do not any of you people who write software for the tax people bother to include a check to see if the person has payed their taxes and just not filed it ??

not mad at you @GG ,,,,,,just mad

VINNY
                  No offense taken, Vinny. As the writer of that software I would have had no way checking to see if someone paid their taxes. The zip files contained only information from FILED income tax forms. Information submitted by the tax payers themselves. Paying taxes to the IRS without filing a 1040 usually involves submitting the check along with a 1040-V payment voucher form. Employers would submit a Form 941-V along with the quarterly payments. Of course, complying with so many forms for so many situations is never easy. Should you use a 1040-ES, or a 1099-MISC, or a ......
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

No offense taken, Vinny. As the writer of that software I would have had no way checking to see if someone paid their taxes.
                    this is my point ,,,,,,there should be a record of the taxes being taken out of my check and deposited in the state/Federal acct. that should be assessable to the IRS and state IRS so that pore foke like me that can barley afford gas to get to work dont get squeezed for more money they cant afford to lose

ths is the rub,,,,,,,pore people dont have the accountants to do this kind of stuff and keep the records ........thay know that hitting a lower income person will probably result in a garnishment ,,,,, and do so ,,,, so more money for the gov.

Paying taxes to the IRS without filing a 1040 usually involves submitting the check along with a 1040-V payment voucher form. .....
                    the taxes were taken out of my check (as usual) and I was owed a refund ,,,,,,,I just did not file.
                    VINNY
                    Last edited by vinnywright; Apr 12, 2014, 07:47 PM.
                    16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                      ...I was owed a refund ,,,,,,,I just did not file.
                      VINNY
                      File now. Get that refund. It's still owed to you.

Comment

File now. Get that refund. It's still owed to you.
                        I do not still have the W2 ,,,,,,,,,and cant find the old employer .

this is from 2008

VINNY
                        16GB RAM

Comment

Contact the IRS and ask for a copy of your 2008 W-2. You can also contact the Social Security Administration in California. Both are provided income/tax information for all taxpayers by the employee's employer.

Comment

Contact the IRS and ask for a copy of your 2008 W-2. You can also contact the Social Security Administration in California. Both are provided income/tax information for all taxpayers by the employee's employer.
                            OK will try this ......................................IDK

VINNY
                            16GB RAM

Comment

GreyGeek, oh, so YOU are the guy who runs the compare between federal and State returns!!!
                              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
                              X