This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mars in opposition tonight at 15:57PM CDT

Mars will be directly over head in Western Kenya at that time. It won't rise here in Lincoln until around 7PM CDT, 8.5 hours later, IF I calculated right.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

"Mars in opposition" -- that pesky planet, always causing trouble and starting wars

Comment

"Mars, bringer of war!" I can hear Holst now. Nice piece of music.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

We're working on the first movement in Seattle Wind Symphony. If you think listening to it is fun...playing it is a gas! Much of it is in 5/4 with some interesting across-the-bar syncopation. Whee!

Comment

Sounds like fun! Of all the things I regret, one of the most is not learning to play either the piano, violin or French horn.

Comment

Astronomers Earth wide reported mysterious flashes on Mars in groups of 3s.
            Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Comment

Originally posted by lcorken View Post
              Astronomers Earth wide reported mysterious flashes on Mars in groups of 3s.
              Specular flashes have been observed on the surface of Mars for over 100 years.
              http://www.alpo-astronomy.org/mars/a...LPO.pdf‎

The most commonly accepted explanation is that it is Sun light reflected from frost and/or ice on the surface. No unequivocal evidence of life has been found on Mars.

NASA also posted a very reasonable explanation:
              http://www.nbcnews.com/science/space...u-think-n74931
              It seems that the light was seen in the right hand stereographic camera BUT not in the left hand camera.
              Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 10, 2014, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                Sounds like fun! Of all the things I regret, one of the most is not learning to play either the piano, violin or French horn.
                Never too late to start. I would recommend piano -- you'll likely find greater selection of teachers, you can get used pianos or keyboards for very reasonable prices, and you can entertain folks wherever a piano happens to be.

Comment

Working...
                X