This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Fugitive David Jansen : Come Watch Me Die episode

This is not a post about the particular episode, but instead the difference between the "film noir" and the "well developed" programs of the fifties / sixties television series in the U.S and today's

very wonderful series........really today's are very COMPLEX............... but those.........were simpler and "more to the point".

a) This is "black and white" which allows one....

tooooo

....., in retrospect" to "concentrate" on the "story line"/ and the "music" and / the "atmosphere"

which were usually "film noir" or at least close.....

programs like Peter Gunn / T.H.E. Cat, etc. . (Note" although I like the actors and story lines and especially the "jazz: of Mr. Lucky it is not in "this category" per se.

AND it is narrated by the star of the t.v. series Cannon!!

However, another whole seres such as "Danger Man / Secret Agent man" included all of the above"...

But, the point is.... that this one episode encapsulates what happened in the really good episodes of such programs.

twist in plot, great music, good characterization, reversal of "what was going on beyond the twist in the plot"...

yes, quite a lot of the fifties / sixties stuff was less than great compared to "the CSI programs", Castle, Bones, Law and Order, Covert Affairs, Burn Notice, etc. but...still..............

the plots tended to be "simple and more straigtforward"...............and thus.......possibly more salutary for a parent to watch with a young person.

ANY COMMENTS?

just a thought, of little worth.

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Apr 06, 2014, 11:07 PM.

The only things that attracted me to Peter Gun was the catch tune (Mancini?) and Lola. LOL!

My house was the first on the block to get a TV set around 1954, IIRC, and we watched Hopalong Cassidy, Tarzan, The Lone Ranger, Roy Rodgers, and tons of B-grade westerns and serials. Most were less than 20 years old.

Now with dozens of TV stations to choose from on the cable, my wife and I prefer to watch METV and its 50 year old TV shows like Perry Mason, Ironsides, I Love Lucy, and old romance and comedy movies on YouTube and Amazon, which we watch via our wireless connection on our digital TV. Most of today's TV shows are too idiotic ("reality" tv, Family Man, etc...) or too violent/psychotic. Anyone who has served in combat, been in law enforcement, or done criminal forensics of murders (I've never been in combat) has seen enough of blood and mayhem to last a lifetime.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

IMO, The best show of that era was "The Avengers." I watched it every Saturday afternoon for years. As I got older, "Mrs. (Emma) Peel" (Diana Rigg) became the yardstick to which all women were measured. Tall, thin but shapely, dark haired, and in the show intro they had her dressed in skin-tight black leather or latex. Whatever it was - she was hot! The women in American TV shows of that era were not appealing to me at all. Lucy Ball, Barbara Billingsley, etc., all looked like the Mid-Western housewives on our block. The European/British women of that time were much sexier IMO. However, Lola Albright is indeed quite a looker!

I liked The Fugitive, Ironsides (early years) and but once I discovered The Twilight Zone and Night Gallery, I left the detective stories behind.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks for the comments folks

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
        X