This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Great Alaska Earthquake of 1964

Today is the 50th anniversary of the second largest earthquake ever recorded in the world.

The Great Alaska Earthquake of 1964
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Wow! A 210 foot Tsunami wave in the fords of Valdez.

Five events in the last 800 years? That means, on average, they can expect another one in 110 years.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Ummmm when in the USNav....I was on a "Tiger Airlines"..........sitting next to a woman who was the wife of an officer....in the USNav....and she was about ten months PREGNANT.......for well into almost a week.............

Flying parallel to us was a Russin AEROflot....... and NEITHER of us could actually "get off the plane"........and we landed at field after field, ........and we flew over "the great tear"...........

BELIEVE THIS OR NOT............I was the ONLY ENLISTED on that plane.........the Pilot "banked" over the "tear" so that one side could see it, and then "re"banked over it so that the "other side" could see it..........but since I was the ONLY enlisted that he had ever known that was .............a college graduate..........he had me in "the cabin" and I got to see it twice.......

Alll the people who are so "kool aid drinker" about...........just f&c$i^g c#aP............. needs to actually SEE something like that and all the POLITICAL CRAP.........Goes AWAY.

woodgoingtogetmyselfkickedoffyetsmoke

Comment

Woodsmoke old bean, I do find your posts a trifle idiosyncratic. Every now and then you seem to start shouting at me, I know I'm on my last legs, but I'm not visually deaf . Incidentally, why can't I do a carriage return in this forum, and why do I have to "Allow something or other" on this site before I can post, it happens every time?

Comment

Hi Bloggsworth, and thanks for the comment.

One of the problems of posting on a computer screen from halfway across the world is that what one "types" is sometimes not what is "perceived".

Upon consideration of my post I think that possibly the problem is the use of the word "tear".

The particular useage was not a "Tear of Allah" but instead a "tear of paper" as in ripping a sheet of paper.

I actually have a former student who works in AK and has communicated to me that the "tear" / "rent" of the land on the "sea side" of Anchorage is "still there" only much diminished by human activity.

Anchorage, has, apparently, been at least partially "rebuilt"........"more inland" or "higher up" than what was originally there during the quake.

Rather like when Clinton spent billions to "bolster up" the levees in New Orleans.............and it was spent on a REAL "bridge to nowhere" by " a certain political machine (which will not be mentioned for fear of the woodsmoker being banned) " , and then GWB spendtbillions to follow on with what Clinton did..........and the billions were .......yet again.......spent on a REAL "bridge to nowhere"......... the city now...........is only being "rebuilt" "in part" so as to minimize what will....INEVETIBLY.......occur again...ANOTHER HUNDRED YEAR HURRICANE... after all it is "weather"... cause by the solar cycles..........and "the rest of the city" is being built away from the floodplain...........

I mean.............. hurricane and the problem with the levees ..... was predicted by the environmentalists of the fifties and sixties...........and roundly EMBRACED by........."a certain political party" and also THEN.... IGNORED, "in money" by the SAME political party.............the money was spent by "that political machine"...on the REAL "bridge to nowhere" ...

But....no so in Alaska because the state used "IN STATE FUNDS".... THE LOCALS..... EXPERIENCED... what happened...

.....in AK, because of the huge amount of money from the Trans Alaska Pipeline, of which Pump Station One occupies an area smaller than my former organic farm.......

http://www.paulcolor.com/index.php#m...8&p=1&a=0&at=0

They had the money to "relocate" Anchorage.

So...."tear" in my previous post means the rending of the land........which was easily observable from the air in the Tiger Airlines airplane.

Sorry for the imprecise use of terminology.

woodsmoke
          Last edited by woodsmoke; Apr 06, 2014, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X