Clear All

Intel NUC D54250WYKH

My NUC has arrived!

Excited
    samhobbs.co.uk

Ah! New toys!

Please Read Me

Comment

I've looked a similar systems. Let us know how it performs!

Comment

Embarrassingly, I can't actually install anything yet because I don't have any mini HDMI or mini DisplayPort cables!!
        samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Local store? If one is near you.

Comment

I'm considering installing Ubuntu to the new SSD using my laptop, setting up SSH then putting the SSD back in the NUC to boot...
            samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
              Embarrassingly, I can't actually install anything yet because I don't have any mini HDMI or mini DisplayPort cables!!
              What? What kind of techno-geek are you? I guess you don't mess with your phone much?

Please Read Me

Comment

I'm sorry for letting you down

My phone is a waterproof brick, I use my N7 (deb) for the things most people use their smartphones for, and that doesn't have any funky ports.
                samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Hmm... so I created an Ubuntu server live USB, stuck the SSD in an external enclosure and tried to install it, instructing the installer to use the whole of /dev/sdb which is the external drive, and partition it automatically. I get this error:

Any ideas why? Could it be something to do with the enclosure?
                  samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

I tried manually creating the partitions beforehand, which seemed to have worked, but then I got this error after telling Ubuntu which partitions to use for which bits:

I have a feeling this is due to me foolishly writing the .iso straight to the SSD with dd by mistake (I meant to write to my USB flash drive), should I write zeros to the SSD to clear it completely?
                    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Just curious here ... doing this on your laptop? What are the drives? One for the USB installer; one in the laptop; the external SSD? sda, sdb, sdc?
                      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                        Just curious here ... doing this on your laptop? What are the drives? One for the USB installer; one in the laptop; the external SSD? sda, sdb, sdc?
                        Yep, on my laptop. When I boot Kubuntu normally I have a 256GiB SSD in the laptop, which is /dev/sda , the 128GiB SSD in the enclosure, which is /dev/sdb , and the 64GiB live USB which is /dev/sdc.

When booting to the live USB, the first two are the same. The default option is to partition the SSD in the laptop (sda), I have to select manual and then tell it to partition sdb automatically, or direct it to use the pre-made partitions.

I've tried deleting everything from the pre-made SSD partitions on sdb from within the manual partitioner, which works, but when I get to the next step I still get that error about not being able to remove system files :s

I'm hoping it's just a problem with the cheap enclosure, not with the SSD.
                        samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Preparing to get out of town this morning, and so not looking deep at details, but did run into two similar:
                          https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1232264
                          http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/inde...t-1376277.html
                          (see linkrox comment)
                          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks, I came across those too but I'm not sure what the solution is!
                            samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Exactly. Yeah, looks like 'they' changed partition formats and Ubuntu version to make it go.

Comment

Working...
                              X