Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, the irony... I made a standard Kubuntu 13.10 USB and installed using that (ubiquity!!!!), which worked flawlessly.

No idea why Ubuntu server wouldn't work, but it doesn't matter now!
    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Ha! I had read somewhere about something that recommends, in fact, using the Server version for things like this. When, in fact, the regular flavor was best here, huh?
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Ridiculous, eh? To be fair, I do think it could be something to do with the enclosure, or how the laptop handles external drives, or USB2.0 devices on USB3.0 ports... I was doing updates whilst running Kubuntu from the external SSD on the laptop, walked away and came back a while later and Kubuntu was treating everything like the SSD had been unplugged. Maybe it timed out or something?

Anyway, I installed openssh-server and am about to try booting using the NUC.

Glad I got something installed without waiting for the cable (ordered one yesterday with Amazon Prime but it hasn't arrived yet).

Wish me luck!
        samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Ok so the NUC wasn't booting Kubuntu because there is a flaw in the original BIOS. I updated the BIOS to the newest version and now it's working
          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Good to hear that you've got those issues out of the way. Hope for smooth sailing here on out for you!

Comment

Buggy BIOS, ey? I never thought such a possibility exists. But if you follow the BIOS guys, or mess with booting very much, you know it's an issue. AdamW didn't have much good to say on this topic recently,
              AdamW:
              UEFI boot: how does that actually work, then?
              https://www.happyassassin.net/2014....rk-then

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I had a quick skim and it looks like a nice article, written in an entertaining and informative way, thanks! Something to look forward to reading later.
                samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                  Buggy BIOS, ey? I never thought such a possibility exists. But if you follow the BIOS guys, or mess with booting very much, you know it's an issue. AdamW didn't have much good to say on this topic recently,
                  AdamW:

I like how that guy writes! Very good article!

Comment

AdamW:

Read end to end. Thanks.
                    sigpic

Comment

As soon as I saw this:
                      You do not have a ‘UEFI BIOS’. No-one has a ‘UEFI BIOS’. Please don’t ever say ‘UEFI BIOS’.

I fell in love!

Comment

Finally got through the article (and left a reply). It's very good, and confirms many of the things I've posted here. I also learned a few new bits, too. Thanks for posting it, QQ!

Comment

Do you have a UEFI-BIOS?

Comment

GRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGHHHGRRRRRRGHHHHH!

hahahahaha

Comment

It's alive!! Muahahahaha
                              samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Got it backed up --- yet?
                                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                                X