This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

low carb works

This is not for anyone who is "morbidly obese" or "diabetic" or has any other kind of medical condition.

It is only for people who might want to "drop some pounds".

My doctor wanted me to spend the next five months dropping weight from 182 to 155 since I have lost income and can't dive. In addition he said that I should get my waist down because I would probably figure out a way to triple my lost income, I usually do that kind of stuff, and I was going to buy a full suit in addition to my shorty.

So... do low carb.

So I said, "Sounds like a plan, when can you get me the diet?"

He just laughed, and said something like "Hey you need something to occupy your mind and you've actually taught this stuff so figure it out on your own" lol... send me a copy of your gameplan!"

So, coupla days later I was standing in line at the grocery store, yes one of those accursed and detested of the elites, "small community version of a big box store" but still evil... and in the magazine rack next to the magazines with aliens and what is the latest goings on with Oprah et. al... was...

First For Women Magazine with a blurb about losing 20 in 20. Hmmm I coulda probably picked up at least two of the women in the line when I picked up the mag and started perusing it...

But, I was a gentleman...

Basicaly there was an article dealing with a new book on low carb that is written for women by the guy who wrote "Shred".

It is much milder, keeping one "below' fifty to seventy carbs not going down to zero or doing the Carnivore diet.

Basically it provided three days of the five for four consecutive weeks. two days are to "rest".

Well, I figured that I could prolly spend some bucks on a book, or spend time going to libraries, eor etc. So...why not just buy this mag and wing it!

Maybe just do the three days in sequence, over and over and not take any days off...

One must consider that this is not "just losing water"...because one drinks four huge glasses of water per day.

So....I did the first set of cycles just to see if I could even DO it...

After I had figured out "if I could stand it".. I then ....started researching on the net about "low carb foods" and found an old Atkins diet dictionary that listed all the foods, back then, and their carbs.

What I found out was basically.

YOU...need to figure out what tasts "good" to you, with as many variations as you can find so that you can stay "interested" in the diet.

You WILL lose the weight and ALSO the waistline.

You will get "ketone breath", you will get "some kind" of headach, I got the "uh oh am I starting a headach", kind, you are NOT to exercise, I even stopped interval walking, and you will need at least ten hours sleep per day because of loss of calories...

Do NOT stay on the "zero to fourty" kind of diet more than four weeks.

I dropped from 182 to 155 in 53 days and really do feel "better" physically, emotionally and intellectually. And, I've dropped two inches on my waistline.

One guy that I had not visited with for a few months actually had a jaw drop shocked reacdtion when he saw me a couple of weeks ago.

I added in two capsules of a "men's fitness" generic vitamins which DOES NOT HAVE Iron ...you will get somewhat constipated and the iron will only make it worse.

I religiously ate half cup of grapefruit sections daily and a quarter cup of steel cut oatmeal in addition to the four huge glasses of water to stave off constipation.

I added in also a liquid called "pH Thrive" which provides an excess of electrolytes and I think, personally, that it helped to hold off "the headache".

You will get a "reaction" when you go into "Ketosis", the body fat being converted to Ketones. They are excreted through the breath and urine. You should get the "Ketone sticks", and yes there are those who decry them, but they worked for me, after a while when I "hit the wall" I could literally see it on the sticks.

If you approach it logically, you will also.......start cooking for yourself, if you do not already do so, and know what is actually going into your body.

I have eliminated "wheat/rice/corn ....totally..." except for one brand of "brown bread' which has only "whole grainS"..notice grainS.... I make pancakes, cookies, bagels, etc. and bread with coconut flour.. I converted to coconut "oil" actually a solid, I've made some really creative "chilies" which the staff at the college absolutely inhale when I take a half crock pot in.

I have also started eating flax seed with the coconut flour stuff I bake and also a little in the oatmeal, which makes a nice binder instead of using stuff like Arrow Root or Guar Gum, and one also gets some protein.

I started with using the "zero cal" Jello but it has a lot of additives and soon went to making my own jello using the "flavourings" that one can find near the spice racks and also use stevia in place of sugar about half the time.

Again, the problem is caloric intake.

I start the morning with an omlette of 4 - 6 eggs, chicken strips first brunch, fruits second brunch, and a low carb soup or chili for evening. Sometimes steak, sometimes chicken breast, grilled, or tilapia. I have avoided, personally, dealing with shellfish because I can't eat the volume that is usually offered for sale.

Lotsa coffee and tea, a "diet soda" once a day, or Schwepps.

I do not buy "distilled water", I use tap water and let it sit open with a "collander" over the top of a glass jar. And that beause the chlorination here is not egregious. And, yes one can get into a rant about "other stuff' in the water, but that is one of the many benefits of living in the midwest. Usually good water with a little chlorination.

Peanut butter cookies with this recipe: 1 cup "whole" peanut butter, not the "kid stuff", one cup white sugar, or brown, which is white with food colouring, one egg, cook on parchment paper at 350 degrees F for 8 to 10 minutes. For St. Patty's day, I added green M and M's. lol

If you go at it logically it really is a life style change. You will, relatively quickly, figure out what you can eat at restaurants so you don't have to get paranoid... shrimp scampi, steak, grilled chicken, Tilapia, salad with dressing on the side, etc.

It is NOT a "meat only diet", just a lot of meat to keep the calories up, and evolutionarily, or God did it, we are all "adapted" to eating meat...

However, I would recommend not eating a "lot' of "beef" because most people will get swolen ankles, lower legs etc. because of the "red" in it.

Vegans will probably have problem with this just because of the sheer bulk of what they would have to consume. However, Quinoa can alleviate that.

I do NOT recommend this to anybody who is "morbidly overweight" or who has diabetes or any other kind of medical condition.

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Mar 23, 2014, 10:09 PM.

Four years ago, I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes. At the time I weighed 235 lbs, and I am only 5' 7" in height. I was placed on medication. I began to research the proper diet for this condition and I began to eat to treat my disease. Basically, this is a low carb diet. In one year, I lost 80 lbs, and brought my blood sugar under control, so that I no longer need medication. I have now been at the same weight for the last three years, and my blood sugar continues to be normal. I feel great. BTW, I am 72 years old.

Comment

My Mom (76) has lost 45 lbs. since October sticking to low carb. I've done it in the past as well to lose 20-25 lbs. a couple of times.

It's really pretty basic: carbs in your mouth = fat on your body.

The tough thing is giving up bread. No pizza crust, no garlicy-buttery Italian loaf, no sandwiches. Oh - sorry dieters...

Please Read Me

Comment

good stories folks, and I think from your posts that the important things were a) needing to do it, b) being able to stick to it.

I'm glad there was success.

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
        X