This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What browser do you use?

I was a die hard Opera fan, but then they stopped supporting Linux. Ive been using Firefox for the past six months, but I find it to be really unstable. It crashes on me constantly and since I upgraded to 14.04 everything in Firefox is web 1.0. So Im shopping for a new browser. Any suggestions?

I use Firefox myself here in 12.04.4 and it's as solid as a rock and always has been. I've never known it to crash ... ever.
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Same here, FireFox. I've never noticed any crash issues BUT I have heard others say that. Don't know what would cause that but for me here it seems fine and runs great.

Comment

I'm on 12.10 and use Firefox as main browser. And even with 52 extensions it never crashes. Maybe some extension is causing problems?
        I use Google Chrome to test sites in, never crashes. But I don't use it for normal surfing because of Google looking over my shoulder...
        There's an Opera Linux version coming: http://ruario.ghost.io/2014/03/02/li...powered-opera/ But Opera removed literally everything that made Opera Opera, even a lot of very good articles about html/css/JavaScript on their site. And since they use Blink for rendering sites, just like Chromium/Google Chrome, I guess you might as well use Chromium.

Comment

Firefox here. I've had no problems with it either in Windows or Linux.
          The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

I use Firefox on both Linux and Windows. I haven't experienced any notable issues issues with it.
            sigpic

Comment

Google Chrome and Chromium. If anyone thinks that using any browser preserves privacy on the Internet, I would respectfully say think again.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-data...l-information/
              Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
              Always consider Occam's Razor
              Rich

Comment

Firefox Current, Firefox Aurora, Google Chrome stable. Can't remember the last time either crashed. We use Google Apps at work, and my job is support of a web-based application, so I am always in at least 2 browsers.

Comment

I started with Chrome some years ago when Firefox and npviewer were either unstable or leaking memory all the time, and I've stayed with it even though Firefox seems to be stable and respectful of resources in recent times. I use Ghostery, Adblock, and Adblock Plus extensions. Occasionally I come across a forum or e-commerce site that Chrome doesn't handle correctly and so Firefox usually works for those cases. I run Chrome with the "--disk-cache-dir" option and let the cache run in /run/user/1000 (which is me). That way the cache goes poof whenever the computer gets shut down. I have Firefox set up the same way.
                  Last edited by dibl; Mar 10, 2014, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Hmmm....I wonder whats wrong with my Firefox. Its horrendous. Will be debugging next time I nave free time.

It seems more stable in safe mode. I only have 3 addons...Adblock Plus, Ghostry, and Ubuntu Firefox Modifications. Nothing too weird....
                    Last edited by whatthefunk; Mar 10, 2014, 08:54 AM.

Comment

For quite some time, I've been using Chromium (still am on my 32-bit 14.04 laptop). But since the upgrade to 14.04 on my 64-bit 14.04 laptop, I've switched to Firefox, as Chromium seems to have a memory leak that causes it to abruptly terminate. I'm hoping that some update will fix it.
                      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

SR Ware Iron

Please Read Me

Comment

@whatthefunk
                          I've been a Firefox user for many years, even pre-linux (8.04 was where I removed windoze and went full linux).
                          I'm now using the bleeding edge Firefox Aurora. That is the daily build version. I'm having no trouble, repeat, no trouble.
                          I do update it about every three days (39.1Mb download), just to get the latest. I like it...
                          Currently I'm running Kubuntu 13.04 on a dell laptop and a gateway desktop.

NOTE: Aurora is not from the repository, it is direct from Mozilla. That may be a part of your trouble. Have you tried a direct install from the Mozilla site (not from a repository)?
                          Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Lots of people have said they are using Firefox, but are they running the verison from the Blue Shell PPA with KDE integration, or the standard GTK version?

Perhaps that is the reason why it's stable for some and not for others.

I've recently switched from Chromium to the Blue Shell version of Firefox, and like it a lot.

My one gripe is that its menus seem to take up considerably more precious vertical screen space than Chromium.
                            samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Firefox & Qupzilla

Opera is little more than a rebranded chrome now
                              Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Working...
                              X