X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0?

This tablet:

Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 (16GB, White)

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-16GB-White/dp/B00BQH8UEY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393246861&sr=8-1&keywords=Samsung+Galaxy+Note+8.0+Wi-Fi+Tablet

Anyone have any opinions or experience with it? It's 8", which I think might be more convenient for handling than the 10". It's a mainstream, popular product, heavily promoted by major retailers; but I have seen a couple users (at another forum) who had some reliability/return issues with it, though googling does not turn up anything specific on it being a lemon or problematic. I seem to be sold on it being a good choice for a tablet, not too big, not too small (for an older user, age 62). Some users claim that a 10" tablet is a little clumsy to use, for example, sitting up in bed using the on-screen keyboard. That an 8" (or smaller) might be handier.

(btw, For a casual user, email, Skype, browsing, reading.)
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

I have the Samsung Tab 3 8" and I am very happy with it. The Samsung Note 8 has a little more RAM and a quad core instead of the Tab 3's dual core, but they are comparable. I mostly use my Tab 3 for reading ebooks, but it works well for wifi internet browsing and I really appreciate the extra 1 inch of real estate compared to a previous 7 inch tablet I still have but don't use anymore. The gyroscope works very well, flipping the screen almost as fast as you can rotate the tablet. For your anticipated usage, I think you would be happy with either. I recommend you buy a cover since the case is plastic instead of metal like more expensive tablets. I only paid about $15 for a nice cover on Ebay. Be sure to match a cover to the exact model tablet you buy.

I haven't tracked battery life, but for the way I use my Tab 3, I only need to recharge it about once a week. Daily usage is probably around an hour a day. The Note 8 has a larger battery, but also has two more processor cores to support. So your mileage may very.
    Linux User #454271

Comment

notabug, thanks, nice account you've given. I've asked people about the need for a screen protector and it's about 50-50% pro & con. But, I read in the Manual this morning that it is NOT recommended by Samsung to use one: "Do not use a screen protector. This causes sensor malfunctions."
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I think you're right about not using a screen protector. Some Samsung tablets are using a super hard scratch resistant glass called Gorilla Glass. Plus the sensor interference you mentioned.
        For a list of tablets incorporating Gorilla glass... http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_..._Gorilla_Glass
        Linux User #454271

Comment

Working...
        X