password
    which replaced the previous top password: 123456

The other top passwords are:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	top_passwords.png
Views:	1
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	648106
    What does having a firewall or running an AV product mean if it is all thrown out the window with such weak passwords?

Opps! I forgot the link to the video, which has other interesting information, like password complexity, and the latest info about cutwail, the major source of malware.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Feb 22, 2014, 10:16 AM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Damn, better change all my PWs

I know so many people who use the same password for everything. looking through the logs on my server was a real eye opener:

Code:
    admin@samhobbs /var/log $ cat auth.log.1 | grep sshd > ssh_logins.txt
    ssh_logins.txt

!!

I should probably use fail2ban to save resources, but I find it interesting and I only use publickey authentication.
    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Wow! For nearly a week someone in Russia, from a single IP address, was pounding on your server every few seconds! And, on the last couple days to be joined by another person from a single IP address in China. More than likely it was government agents in those countries.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

That's not uncommon, either!

Seriously though, if you were going to write a script to try to guess SSH logins, wouldn't you try a few and if they all gave you "Permission Denied: Publickey" responses just move on? I know you only get that response if you try to log on as a valid user, but still... It must cost money to beat your fists bloody on the gates. My hypothetical script would give up sooner.
        samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

I'm not familiar with these types of attacks but reading the logins I recognise a pattern in the names, like it starts with a whole bunch of Italians and then moves to what I assume are Americans.
          Seems to me the attacker has lists of login credentials from different sources and is just trying these keys on your lock regardless of the chance Italians are typical visitors to this site.
          Brute force al right!

About that top password in the ATT honey pot, what's the attraction of 14060?
          Last edited by Teunis; Feb 23, 2014, 03:06 AM.

Comment

The thing is, that's not even the whole log! Pretty sure the log file was rotated during the attack, I'll check later.
            samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
              ...About that top password in the ATT honey pot, what's the attraction of 14060?

14,060 is the number of users with the password "password".

I agree with Teunis, the attack seemed to be based on a list of users and passwords, tried one after another, hence the reason why those two attackers spent 5 days attacking. 30 per minute, 1,800 per hour, 43,200 per day, over 200,000 for the 5 day period. 200K is about the lot size stolen passwords are sold in.

Comment

Ahhhhhh, 14060 dofus using password as their password
                Hmmm....

200,000 per lot, you know some funny business

Comment

Code:
                  admin@samhobbs /var/log $ zcat auth.log.4.gz | grep sshd >> ~/ssh_logins_new.txt
                  admin@samhobbs /var/log $ zcat auth.log.3.gz | grep sshd >> ~/ssh_logins_new.txt
                  admin@samhobbs /var/log $ zcat auth.log.2.gz | grep sshd >> ~/ssh_logins_new.txt
                  admin@samhobbs /var/log $ cat auth.log.1 | grep sshd >> ~/ssh_logins_new.txt
                  admin@samhobbs /var/log $ cat auth.log | grep sshd >> ~/ssh_logins_new.txt
                  Some more info (older), in case you're interested:

Code:
                  feathers-mcgraw@Hobbs-T440s:~$ truncate -s 999KB ssh_logins_new.txt
                  ^ a neat little trick I just learned, the forum has a 1000KB filesize limit for text files

Feathers
                  Attached Files
                  samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Reminds me of Spaceballs! Remember the Air Dome password which coincidentally was President Skroob's password on his luggage!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzEz-SHJbB0

Comment

That's the first time I've seen that, made me LOL!
                      samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Oh, you have to watch the whole thing! Classic in my opinion!

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
                          Code:
                          admin@samhobbs /var/log $ zcat auth.log.4.gz | grep sshd >> ~/ssh_logins_new.txt
                          admin@samhobbs /var/log $ zcat auth.log.3.gz | grep sshd >> ~/ssh_logins_new.txt
                          admin@samhobbs /var/log $ zcat auth.log.2.gz | grep sshd >> ~/ssh_logins_new.txt
                          admin@samhobbs /var/log $ cat auth.log.1 | grep sshd >> ~/ssh_logins_new.txt
                          admin@samhobbs /var/log $ cat auth.log | grep sshd >> ~/ssh_logins_new.txt
                          Some more info (older), in case you're interested:

Code:
                          feathers-mcgraw@Hobbs-T440s:~$ truncate -s 999KB ssh_logins_new.txt
                          ^ a neat little trick I just learned, the forum has a 1000KB filesize limit for text files

Feathers
                          Thanks for the info about the text file size limit!

I noticed a pattern in the text file:
                          Code:
                          Feb  4 14:01:20 samhobbs sshd[25192]: input_userauth_request: invalid user billy [preauth]
                          Feb  4 14:01:21 samhobbs sshd[25192]: Received disconnect from 213.80.171.86: 11: Bye Bye [preauth]
                          Feb  4 14:05:30 samhobbs sshd[25207]: Received disconnect from 213.80.171.86: 11: Bye Bye [preauth]
                          Feb  4 14:09:35 samhobbs sshd[25218]: Received disconnect from 213.80.171.86: 11: Bye Bye [preauth]
                          Feb  4 14:13:43 samhobbs sshd[25238]: Invalid user bind from 213.80.171.86
                          Feb  4 14:13:43 samhobbs sshd[25238]: input_userauth_request: invalid user bind [preauth]
                          Feb  4 14:13:43 samhobbs sshd[25238]: Received disconnect from 213.80.171.86: 11: Bye Bye [preauth]
                          Feb  4 14:17:51 samhobbs sshd[25249]: Invalid user bird from 213.80.171.86
                          Notice that if the name wasn't in your list of users the connection was marked invalid. Some connections are sequential "Received disconnect from ...". Did they hit upon a valid name but failed to use a valid password?

Comment

My server accepts publickey only for all users, so even if they guessed the right name they would be disconnected. Some of the disconnects are grouped together in a block in the logs, they're not always in a "connect, disconnect, connect, disconnect" order. The "admin" username login attempt would be interesting but it's too far back in the logs and has been discarded, I suspect they got a "Permission denied: publickey" response and moved on.

Feathers
                            samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Interesting thread!

At the college we have to change our passwords every six months or so, and there are those who say that such a policy makes little or no difference, don't know, it has to be done so I do it.

I really DID try to come with really oddball number/letter combos etc. but after a while the MS system.......said that the passwords were no good! :0

I got really irritated, because I've fiddled with passwords and the theory of them for quite a while. Annnnn, I do gotta say that there is a theory that what happened next is a good method.

Here is one talking head that says use "words" and also there is discussion of alternate strategies, from 2011 but probably still of some use.

http://readwrite.com/2011/01/21/why-...owQoCgIekQtkl2

Here is a talking head that says use numbers.....or a really loooonnnggg word! lol

http://netsecurity.about.com/od/news.../realwords.htm

As a joke after about, don't remember, ten attempts...........I typed in the name of an enzyme and the number 01, usch as Amylase01.

And microsludge declared that on a scale of one to ten that the password was a fifty! .........there were trumpets blaring, the windblows flag was flying across the page.

Since then I just pick a random street name and put 01 on it.

and since this is an academic setting...........hhhhaaarrruuumph....academics do it right! I will just follow my muse!

woodMr.Mxyzptlksmoke

Comment

Working...
                              X