Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canonical and derivative work, Jonathan Riddell spoke.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exactly, oshunluver! Not only that, the GPL doesn't guarantee "free" either. It allows those who write and/or dispense GPL software to charge a fee for doing so.
    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html
    Many people believe that the spirit of the GNU Project is that you should not charge money for distributing copies of software, or that you should charge as little as possible — just enough to cover the cost. This is a misunderstanding.

Actually, we encourage people who redistribute free software to charge as much as they wish or can. If this seems surprising to you, please read on.

I have no qualms about paying for GPL software and/or contributing to those who write it, especially if doing so guarantees a continued supply of new and/or improved GPL software. When I first moved from Windows to Linux I paid for my copy of RH 5.0. When I switched to SuSE 5 months later I paid an average of $25 per copy for 22 consecutive releases of SuSE, until Novell bought them. I still have the WindRiver reciepts. When I switched to Mandrake, later Mandriva, I purchased a Silver plan every time I upgraded. Kubuntu is the first distro I've used where there wasn't a front page donation button or some kind of "extra" option one could purchase to support Kubuntu. Shuttlesworth set up that mind set when he was began giving away Ubuntu for free, even paying shipping costs to anyone who requested a copy be sent to them. It was a great way for folks who could not afford a connection that was fast eough to allow downloading to get a copy, if they couldn't rely on their friends.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Feb 19, 2014, 10:06 AM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
    X