This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open Source Cola... really?

Alright...........just which one of you made this! Steve Riley! DID YOU DO THIS!! :0

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-OpenCola

However, this one seems to be a little more "doable"

http://homemadesodaexpert.blogspot.c...omemade-cola.h

wood........hmmmmmm.................smoke

Brilliant.

Perhaps it was RMS, IIRC he is boycotting coke and prefers Pepsi, in sure he'd take OpenCola if he could get it, though!

Feathers
    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Too many ingredients.

Apple juice and yeast is good. Needs more time though.

Ken.
      Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Comment

2.36 kg granulated white sugar in 2.28 Liters of water

That's 5 POUNDS of sugar dissloved in a half gallon of water! Almost syrup!
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
          Alright...........just which one of you made this! Steve Riley! DID YOU DO THIS!! :0
          Heh. Nope, not me. I actually don't like cola, or other soft drinks...

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          ...this would be why. Blech.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post

Maybe because it is. The recipe calls it "concentrate". A later step dilutes it with soda water.

Regards, John Little
            Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
              Maybe because it is. The recipe calls it "concentrate". A later step dilutes it with soda water.
              At 5:1, but that only means 5 pounds of sugar in 2.5 gallons of water. My wife and I drink an average of 2.5 gallons of water a day. If we drank that cola instead we'd each be consuming 2.5 lbs of sugar a day, or 910 lbs per year. I can only imagine how big we'd be by the end of that year. Probably diabetic, with ulcers on our legs and feet, and fungi rashes in the folds of skin covering huge amounts of adipose tissue. Between 1987 and 1992 I was writing an accounting system, alumini records and donation system, grades and class scheduling system, etc. for a small college where I was also teaching physics, calculus, microbiology, anatomy & physiology and quantitative analysis. I was putting in 16 hour days 6 days a week and to keep awake I decided I needed caffiene. I chose diet Dr Pepper to avoid getting fat. I ended up drinking 1.5 gallons of that drink every day. Funny thing about Apartame. If the solution it is in gets warm any time before it is consumed, aspartame breaks down into phenylalnine and methanol, also known as wood alcohol Methanol attacks the brain, liver and kidneys. Another about aspartame is that it triggers carbohydrate consumption. My weight rose from around 205 to about 265, and I had back problems. I had looked into the possible connection between aspartame and my symptoms earlier but the NutraSweet corporation claimed that aspartame caused no problems even when given in 1 gram doses to pregnant women. The FDA NutraSweet trouble hotline was a direct connection to the NutraSweet corporation. They assured me there were no connections to my symptoms and offered a free case of Diet Dr. Pepper. By the time I finished that programming and teaching job I had a hard time remembering the names of my two kids. A month after I stopped drinking diet Dr Pepper the red rash that covered my torso from my waist to the top of my head, the oily sweat and the cracking headach disappeared. A couple months later my wife came home from grocery shopping and gave me a can of diet Dr Pepper. Within 30 minutes the rash, oil and headach returned. That was the first time I connected the problem to aspartame. It didn't take long to find more data online about NutraSweet, and the lady who led the fight against it. http://www.amazon.com/Deadly-Decepti.../dp/1884363148

Now I drink 3 or 4 cups of green tea to get my daily injection of caffiene.
              Last edited by GreyGeek; Feb 14, 2014, 11:57 PM.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I looked more closely, and at about 200 g of sugar per litre of water, it has nearly twice the sugar equivalent of Coca-Cola, infamously high in sugar. Something's badly wrong there, syrup indeed.

I sympathize with your with your terrible experience with Diet Dr Pepper, but 1.5 gallons a day was asking for trouble, as was working 6x16 hour days, for several years! Superhuman! Given the vast consumption of aspartame (in the countries that permit it) if your attribution of your affliction to aspartame was correct the epidemiologists would be screaming at us by now. Mind you, they screamed about tobacco smoking for decades to deaf ears... Aspartame seems to me to be a lesser evil than high fructose corn syrup.

Anyway, what was wrong with coffee, black and strong? I really enjoy coffee, but have to limit my consumption to avoid too much caffiene.

Regards, John Little
                Regards, John Little

Comment

Greygeek, are you sure you had 1.5 gallons of it a day? That's almost 6L!!

Most people I know don't drink that much fluid, even if you include tea, which happens to make a massive difference over here

IIRC, 2L of water a day and you're meeting the guidelines. I actually drink a lot more water than that but I'm weird, most people probably don't manage it.
                  samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Nothing wrong with green tea! The trick--assuming you are part of the 97% and on a budget--is to buy it in 100-tea-bag boxes (at large Asian importer stores) for $5-$8/box, rather than your local store's 25-bag boxes at $4-$5. I used to drink coffee all day, but learned that isn't the best thing for me. Interesting what one gets used to, adjusts to. I have a friend who drinks real Cokes all day, 6-10/day. That would kill some of us. Just one 12-oz can knocks me on my butt (sugar+caffeine). Water is best, but I think you can drink too much, something becomes toxic, like an electrolyte imbalance or some such? The current medical advice is, not to be indelicate: when you see the yellow river flowing, drink a little more water!
                    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

if your attribution of your affliction to aspartame was correct the epidemiologists would be screaming at us by now. Mind you, they screamed about tobacco smoking for decades to deaf ears... Aspartame seems to me to be a lesser evil than high fructose corn syrup.
                      I learned a lot about R.G. Serle and Aspartame. http://www.rense.com/general33/legal.htm

"In 1985 Monsanto purchased G.D. Searle, the chemical company that held the patent to aspartame, the active ingredient in NutraSweet. Monsanto was apparently untroubled by aspartame's clouded past, including a 1980 FDA Board of Inquiry, comprised of three independent scientists, which confirmed that it "might induce brain tumors."

The FDA had actually banned aspartame based on this finding, only to have Searle Chairman Donald Rumsfeld (later to become the Secretary of Defense) vow to "call in his markers," to get it approved.

On January 21, 1981, the day after Ronald Reagan's inauguration, Searle re-applied to the FDA for approval to use aspartame in food sweetener, and Reagan's new FDA commissioner, Arthur Hayes Hull, Jr., appointed a 5-person Scientific Commission to review the board of inquiry's decision. It soon became clear that the panel would uphold the ban by a 3-2 decision, but Hull then installed a sixth member on the commission, and the vote became deadlocked. He then personally broke the tie in aspartame's favor.

Hull later left the FDA under allegations of impropriety, served briefly as Provost at New York Medical College, and then took a position with Burston-Marsteller, the chief public relations firm for both Monsanto and GD Searle. Since that time he has never spoken publicly about aspartame."

The two attorneys used by Congress during their "investigation" later became attorneys for NutraSweet. Wikipedia gives the sanitized version, that protects its owner from lawsuits.

In 1991 the National Institutes of Health, a branch of the Department of Health and Human Services, published a bibliography, *Adverse Effects of Aspartame*, listing not less
                      than 167 reasons to avoid it. Aspartame is an rDNA derivative, a combination of two amino acids (long supplied by a pair of Maryland biotechnology firms: Genex Corp. of Rockville and Purification Engineering in Baltimore.)

I recalled that while drinking diet Dr. Pepper my weight increased by 60 lbs. Here's why: Richard Wurtman, an MIT neuroscientist, discovered (The New England Journal of Medicine, No. 309, 1983), that the sweetener defeats its purpose as a diet aid, since high doses may instill a craving for calorie-laden carbohydrates. One of his pilot studies found that the NutraSweet-carbohydrate combination increases the "sweetener's effect on brain composition." Searle officials denigrated Wurtman 's findings, but the American Cancer Society has since confirmed the irony-after tracking 80,000 women for six years-that "among women who gained weight, artificial sweetener users gained more than those who didn't use the products," as reported in Medical Self-Care, (387). My office and labs were in the basement of the student center. On the floor above me was the snackbar which dispensed diet Dr. Pepper and popcorn. I ate popcorn all day long and never understood why I craved it.

Anyway, what was wrong with coffee, black and strong? I really enjoy coffee, but have to limit my consumption to avoid too much caffiene.
                      Nothing, if you like it. Caffiene doesn't really bother me. I can drink a cup of Uncle Lee's green tea before bed and have no trouble falling right to sleep.

Comment

Working...
                      X