This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best rescue CD/USB?

Any opinions based on recent experience what is the "best" rescue CD to have on hand? Free, as in beer. It should be current, up-to-date, mainstream (maintained). It should have:
    a browser;
    graphical partitioning tools;
    testdisk, photorec;
    a terminal;
    what else?

Of course, three standards might be:
    SystemRescueCD http://www.sysresccd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage
    Knoppix http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
    UltimateBootCD http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

I've got GParted Live CD, but am disappointed in its web browser and terminal.

Opinions, tips?
    Thanks.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

I remain partial to my Parted Magic live USB stick. It is not the latest version, by a couple, but it sure comes in handy once in awhile. It does not have all your "recovery" utilities, unfortunately -- but it does cover all of the basics.
    Last edited by dibl; Feb 07, 2014, 10:50 AM.

Comment

I found this list, it is from 2010, but most are still current.
      I'm looking for a good rescue disk also. I'll post more as I find it.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10-...machines/1458/
      Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

KNOPPIX ... that was a turn-off. MD5sum OK'd. Tried both USB (via UNetbootin) and LiveCD (a k3b burn), both results the same: "sh: can't access tty; job control turned off" and dropped to a root shell (that I didn't know how to use). I never had this issue before with KNOPPIX and thought this was precisely what KNOPPIX was known for NOT doing. Anyone know what's wrong, btw?

Time to try another rescue option.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

oops, stupid me, looks like I downloaded the wrong file from KNOPPIX; am trying it again, hopefully this time w/the correct file!

Comment

It's only a week ago I used the latest Knoppix and it ran fine, very low on resources and that's what I needed.
            I did use a CD because the computer was too old to have a USB boot option.

An other option is to dd it to the USB drive.

Comment

I just ran the latest KNOPPIX, and it wouldn't open GParted.

Comment

I'm beginning to think that the best way to go is to simply make your own. Use Puppy and add things persistent. Or, better, use Live Kubuntu.

Question, for those who have kept up with progress:
                What is the status of Kubuntu live USB persistence? Does it work OK?

If so, on the USB, one could simply install a few things, like TestDisk, PhotoRec, MC, whatever. Kubuntu, I believe, already comes with gparted.
                Of course, you can install and use whatever programs as needed in a live Kubuntu session, but it would be nice to have some things persistent on the thumb drive, ready to go.

Comment

Just tried SystemRescueCD. After a few reboots/tries, I left disappointed.

cryptic, un-documented rant:
                  I don't recall these CDs being so bad. Maybe I missed something. Often, the documentation doesn't match the current CD. Looks like development has been dropped. Often difficult to figure out how to use what IS there during a live session--might have to rescue yourself from the rescue CD. Terminal experts may be OK. Good luck to GUI users, though. [end of such]

Yeah, use your live Kubuntu CD, install programs needed while in live session; keep handy a Super Grub 2 Disk, Gparted disk, TeskDisk disc (or install the latter in session).

So now, my question/quest is to determine if Kubuntu is easily placed on a USB w/persistence (which I think UNetbootin will do).

Comment

Just had another thought. Puppy might do for a rescue CD/USB, it used to work that way. Also, I had an old sidux USB I found today, ran it live, and it would have done pretty good as a helper in a "rescue" mission. Perhaps the new aptosid on live USB is the ticket, esp if it can be configured on the USB w/persistence.

Comment

(talking to myself here ...) Being short on time, for now, for me, I think copies of live CDs/USBs for SGD, gparted, and TestDisk/PhotoRec are going to have to do. I think knowing how to use the Kubuntu Live CD is a good idea, installing programs as needed in a live rescue session; having KNOPPIX and SystemRescueCD is not a bad idea, but be prepared for glitches.

One ideal solution surfaces (again, for me): a Live aptosid USB, persistent. That will be on my ToDo list sometime.

My How-To has some stuff on it:
                      RESCUE Partitions & Data
                      https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post116466

Reply #6 is on PhotoRec: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post161927

Reply #7, sidux Live Persistent Flash Drive:
                      https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post170998

sidux came with a lot of good rescue programs already on it, and I believe so does aptosid.
                      BTW, you do NOT want aptosid installed to the USB as a HDD installation but rather as a live USB-persistent installation--this is best if you plan to use the rescue USB on different computers.

Some of my how-to is outdated (e.g., use of GRUB legacy). However, the how-to, Post # 7, tells How to set up and run TestDisk & PhotoRec from a personal directory, and that method is useful (e.g., on a persistent aptosid flash drive)

All that said, I noticed two helpful things about this material:

-- The TestDisk/PhotoRec site is very well done and has been improved to include more detail and up-to-date information. (Under Live CD method, you may want check his comments about KNOPPIX and test to see that those issues are no longer a problem, if you plan to use KNOPPIX.)

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

-- The aptosid Manual is very well done and up-to-date and includes excellent material and tips on making persistent USB flash drives.

http://manual.aptosid.com/en/welcome-en.htm
                      http://manual.aptosid.com/en/hd-inst...romiso-persist
                      Last edited by Qqmike; Feb 08, 2014, 12:02 PM. Reason: formatting

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                        ... Also, I had an old sidux USB I found today, ran it live, and it would have done pretty good as a helper in a "rescue" mission. Perhaps the new aptosid on live USB is the ticket, esp if it can be configured on the USB w/persistence.
                        The installation method shown in the aptosid manual also works great with a siduction live ISO:

Code:
                        dd if=/home/mike/Downloads/yoursiduction.iso of=/dev/sdx
                        One reason to use siduction is that the 2013.2.1 iso is a year newer than the last aptosid release. I just happened to need to do a new installation and I used it and found it works flawlessly.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                          I'm beginning to think that the best way to go is to simply make your own. Use Puppy and add things persistent. Or, better, use Live Kubuntu.

Question, for those who have kept up with progress:
                          What is the status of Kubuntu live USB persistence? Does it work OK?

If so, on the USB, one could simply install a few things, like TestDisk, PhotoRec, MC, whatever. Kubuntu, I believe, already comes with gparted.
                          Of course, you can install and use whatever programs as needed in a live Kubuntu session, but it would be nice to have some things persistent on the thumb drive, ready to go.
                          This is what I've started doing, but I actually just install it to the USB drive. After installing the lowfat package, tweaking, and disabling everything not needed it works fine. Then just install whatever tools you need. It is modular enough to boot on almost every machine I've tried. I went with 32 bit for compatibility with 32 and 64 bit. The only catch is the 32 bit install won't run boot repair on a 64 bit OS. I recently had a problem with Kubuntu/openSUSE and UEFI. I had to use a 64 bit DVD and install boot repair to fix it. I can list all the tools I have installed if anyone wants them.
                          Klaatu Barada Nikto

Comment

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/multibo...sb-from-linux/

Download several Rescue systems & put them all on a flash drive
                            Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

dibl, thanks, I'll look into siduction. But, if one installed aptosid on live flash drive, and it was persistent, wouldn't the updates do the trick to bring it current?

(I'm skeptical of this, if you remember going back to the live flash drives were were building manually some years ago ...)

Comment

Working...
                              X