Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upcoming Asus Chromebox looks like it would make a decent cheap home server?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They serve different functions. WOL boots the operating system currently installed on the computer.

PXE runs entirely in the firmware, before any installed OS. PXE locates the NBP and executes it. In most enterprise deployments, the NBP is used to install a fresh copy of the OS onto the machine. Internet cafes often do this. Alternately, the NBP could boot an OS over the LAN; it's how diskless workstations start.

Comment

Cool stuff, thanks for explaining
      samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
        At least one per room?! Add a couple more and you could turn the heating off, low power consumption or not!
        Nah, here in the US we use new LED flat screens that produce virtually no heat. You should really recycle those old back-and-white tube TV's you guys are still watching down to Pub!

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          Nah, here in the US we use new LED flat screens that produce virtually no heat.
          I will continue heating my house with CRTs and VAXen until the day I die!

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
            Nah, here in the US we use new LED flat screens that produce virtually no heat. You should really recycle those old back-and-white tube TV's you guys are still watching down to Pub!
            What, no holograms yet?

We actually had a very old CRT in our student house a few years ago, which was almost unbearably dark where it was wearing out, even on full brightness. It did used to heat the room up quite well though, which is just as well seeing as we didn't have the heating on unless it was snowing... its only other redeeming feature was that it was so heavy, when we were burgled the scum left it because they didn't fancy carrying it!
            samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

t did used to heat the room up quite well
              Yeah, radiation will do that.

it was so heavy, when we were burgled the scum left it
              You mean it wasn't worth stealing!

Please Read Me

Comment

That too! Wouldn't make for a quick getaway either, it was quite a big one.
                samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                X