Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it illegal to DDoS your own server over the internet?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Well, I'm a little late to the party. I came across this while looking for some other info, and since we're already WAY off-topic anyway... :P

I just wanted to say that I have come across your great site (samhobbs.co.uk) in the past, courtesy of my Google searches, and I now have it bookmarked. There's some great info there and I am especially interested in the Email Server tutorial, with some modifications to fit my own needs.

Going back to the original post re the legality of DDoS as a method of security testing... I honestly can't offer any more info on that aspect besides what's already been posted here. As long as it's not a long, drawn-out, ongoing attack, you *probably* will be able to get away with it here and there, but that's a calculated risk that ultimately is up to you to decide. I did want to point out that with a small, low-spec server like your Raspberry Pi, it probably wouldn't take much to really disrupt things and, in fact, you have already demonstrated that with your previous experiences that you've posted here. However, in the "real" world application of things, one person (in this case, your buddy) doing a LOIC attack on a full-blown website (Kubuntu Forums, for example) would have very little or no effect at all. Now, if you were talking about 10 or 20 or 100 or more people all coordinating a mass DDoS attack, THEN the effects will be felt.

Regardless, I have read this thread with interest as I am in the beginning stages of teaching myself server and website administration. I'm glad to see that you've made a trial-and-error learning experience for yourself, and that you continue to learn and share your knowledge with us here and on your website.

Just my two cents...

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
        Go find an old copy of MS-DOS still in its original packaging. Open it up and throw away the floppy disks. There... now you've deDOSed a box.

Oh my gawd!! That's probably the best computer-nerdy pun I've ever read!
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          Oh my gawd!! That's probably the best computer-nerdy pun I've ever read!
          Agreed. It hurt a little bit when I read it, probably because I wasn't the one who came up with it :P

Comment

Originally posted by GKNByNW View Post
            I just wanted to say that I have come across your great site (samhobbs.co.uk) in the past, courtesy of my Google searches, and I now have it bookmarked. There's some great info there and I am especially interested in the Email Server tutorial, with some modifications to fit my own needs.
            LOL, the internet is a small place after all! Thank you for the compliment... pretty much everything I've learned has been on this forum, which says a lot about the members since it's not really "supposed" to be about server side stuff but you can still get tons of useful information and interesting conversation from people here!

The first rule of KFN is that you need to be careful what you say when Steve's about, he'll jump on every chance he gets to make excellent bad jokes
            samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

It was in the job description when I got drafted was invited to join the admin team!

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
                LOL, the internet is a small place after all! Thank you for the compliment... pretty much everything I've learned has been on this forum, which says a lot about the members since it's not really "supposed" to be about server side stuff but you can still get tons of useful information and interesting conversation from people here!
                True, especially since Kubuntu itself is not a server installation. However, I would rather ask a question or two about server stuff here on the off chance that someone knows the answer rather than create yet another account on yet another forum devoted to yet another small niche ad infinitum. I had a question a few weeks ago about networking on a VirtualBox server and had an answer within minutes

The first rule of KFN is that you need to be careful what you say when Steve's about, he'll jump on every chance he gets to make excellent bad jokes
                If that's the case then I think I'll get along just fine here

Comment

Working...
                X