This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open Street Map for Android: OsmAnd

I recently discovered this. It's a really cool FOSS app that can do either online or offline routing.

https://f-droid.org/app/net.osmand.plus

Open Street Map data is downloaded and stored locally on the device.

Install a free-as-in-beer GPS app and you can look up your current location for routing etc.

Open Street Map data in the UK is very high quality, here's an example. It just happens to be where I am now, I haven't chosen a location to make OSM look better or anything like that:

Google maps for the same area:

You can choose what is displayed on the map using checkboxes, for example different points of interest:

Using it as a SatNav for driving, the only thing I would say needs improvement is the way the route line is matched to the map, there's a slight delay when you turn: the map rotates a split second before the route line.

How is the data near you?

Feathers
    Last edited by Feathers McGraw; Jan 30, 2014, 04:57 AM.
    samhobbs.co.uk

Looking at the two maps you posted, there are massive amounts of differences. Which one is more accurate?

Comment

Looks pretty good. I will have to try the navigation. I had to download the US New York Region and World Base maps which are large files. I have the free version.
      Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
      Always consider Occam's Razor
      Rich

Comment

Originally posted by richb View Post
        I have the free version.
        If you download it from F-Droid, the full version is free-as-in-beer too!
        samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

The link to the osmand site? That charges for the Paid version. I do not see a direct link on the F-droid site.
          Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
          Rich

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
            Looking at the two maps you posted, there are massive amounts of differences. Which one is more accurate?
            Difficult to say.

Both are imperfect... looking at satellite images you can see that OSM has a better representation of Oakfield Close, but a worse representation of Woodside Close. Search for Amersham Station UK if you'd like to compare yourself.

Also, in terms of style, OSM seems to go for straight lines instead of curves.
            samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Just to add, OsmAnd has a few features I really like that Google Maps doesn't:

1) the next instruction is shown in the top left, AND the one after that underneath it (smaller). Very useful if you're making a couple of turns in quick succession.

2) your current speed is displayed, and you can optionally be warned when you're exceeding the speed limit

3) when changing lanes, OsmAnd shows all the lanes on the road as arrows and greys out the ones you shouldn't be using, highlights the ones you should. Very useful on the M25!

I think I'll stop using maps now, I'm convinced!
              samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

I may need to investigate this again. Last time I looked at any OSM-related stuff, it lacked info on public transit for Seattle and San Francisco. Such data is very important for me, as I don't own a car or even drive. Google Maps really rocks for public transit; maybe OSM does now, too.

Comment

I think stuff like that is rubbish for ages (so nobody uses it) then all of a sudden it becomes good enough to be useful and the rest of the improvements come in a flood as lots of people make small improvements.

Hope things have improved, I think it's important to have public map data that isn't controlled by the whims of a corporation, no matter how good a job they're doing now.
                  samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

OsmAnd a good back for emergencies

Before I had an Android phone (I only got one last year), I used OsmAnd on an Android tablet for a few years. I travel a good deal (around Northern California), and way back then I had no wireless or 4G / 3G connectivity (except at Starbucks or something).

OsmAnd (western U.S. maps installed) got me where I needed to go and got me out of a number of scrapes (when I got very lost). I still keep it on my backup tablet in my car for times when I am lost and out of 4G / 3G range (but have only used it once for that purpose).

There is nothing better than Google Maps, though. It includes real-time travel estimates for commutes and ETAs that I have never found to be less than 1 minute accurate (since it is updated by traffic cam data and by others users' similar-area commuting data in real-time fashion)! I can tell people to the minute when I am going to be somewhere, even when driving hundreds of miles. Google is the epitome of big-data utilization. Apple's mapping system doesn't do that at all (and anything Apple has become a pain-in-the-burro to use compared to Android).

So, unfortunately, OsmAnd remains relegated to my emergency back-up tablet. (Oh yeah, I use the free version of OsmAnd from F-Droid at https://f-droid.org/repository/brows...et.osmand.plus .) On Kubuntu, of course, I am pretty much always connected online, so always use Google Maps.

Kubuntuguide Maps and GPS:

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Kubuntu_Saucy_Maps_and_GPS
                    Last edited by perspectoff; Feb 01, 2014, 10:15 AM.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
                    and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

@perspectoff

Neither method for installing Google earth works in 13.10 that is referenced in your link.

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Kubuntu_Saucy_Maps_and_GPS
                      Rich

Comment

I agree that time estimates are better on Google Maps than OsmAnd.

At least OsmAnd doesn't do this, though... my post code ("zip code!") starts with GU since I'm in Guildford...

Why the f**k is Google suggesting I want to find a gun shop?! In the UK!!
                        samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Targeted advertising, dude. Been feeling frustrated lately, have ya?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                            I may need to investigate this again. Last time I looked at any OSM-related stuff, it lacked info on public transit for Seattle and San Francisco. Such data is very important for me, as I don't own a car or even drive. Google Maps really rocks for public transit; maybe OSM does now, too.
                            Omg I don't feel so out of place! I don't own or drive, either. Google does have public transport down pat here in Savannah, too, now that the city took back operating the buses and provides better route data.

Other maps/nav options are always welcome.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk, like that really matters

Comment

You guys are lucky. Almost not an option to not drive where I live. I have two cars, one driver. A 1990 Nissan 300 ZX and a 2014 BMW 320iX. Also two bicycles, roller skates and a skateboard.

(Two feet as well).
                              Rich

Comment

Working...
                              X