This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So has anybody tried Manjaro?

Just read this and my interests are perked.
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Arch-...t-420996.shtml

I like how they have LXDE, KDE and Openbox versions. Plus they have access to the Arch repos so there should be a decent amount of programs available. I may have to try out the Openbox one on my old laptop....Im getting tired of Crunchbang. Ive never been on the Dark Side of the Linux world.... Im scared

Yes I have Manjaro as well as Debian (Wheezy) it is a very good rolling release distribution based upon Arch. It uses the pacman package manager and has access to AUR but has its own repository and generally packages are updated approx 2 weeks after being released in Arch.

Considering its a rolling release it is very stable (you can use the unstable / testing branch if you prefer to help test future versions) The main editions of Manjaro are XFCE; Openbox; KDE and net install which you use to add the apps you want. But they also have other community based editions for desktops such as Cinnemon, LXDE, Enlightenment.

Manjaro has a very good utility called MWHD (I think its called that) which is very useful for adding / removing kernels.

Give it a try I think you'll like it, most people who do try it love it - just read their forums at http://forum.manjaro.org/

Comment

I tried the older version (KDE) which ran fine, but the artwork was BUTT UGLY. You couldn't tell you were running Arch. It looks like they have taken control of that area, and made it look nice like the other versions. I remember it asking what services I wanted to run such as samba/printing, and it would set them up for you. Arch makes you do everything by hand. Arch was a very stark contrast to the Kubuntu/openSUSE way of doing things. Manjaro seemed like it was somewhere in between. Downloading RC1 now...
      Klaatu Barada Nikto

Comment

Originally posted by 67GTA View Post
        I tried the older version (KDE) which ran fine, but the artwork was BUTT UGLY. You couldn't tell you were running Arch.
        Your not running Arch, your running Manjaro.

Manjaro is to Arch what Ubuntu is to Debian. Ubuntu is based upon Debian but it is not Debian the same with Manjaro and Arch

Comment

Yes, it was a simple arch. I now run straight arch

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk
          Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Working...
          X