This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ImageShack No Longer Free

Just found this out not long ago when I went to my account it says I have 30 days left. I don't know where my online pictures will end up but I don't plan to pay for a service when there are tons available. I wonder (speaking percentages) how many will pay the bill?

I hope this is not a trend with others jumping on the bandwagon. I use photobucket but have also use Imageshack.
    Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
    Always consider Occam's Razor
    Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
      how many will pay the bill?
      Not me!
      I'll move to something free.
      Kubuntu 13.10 saucy 3.11.0-12-generic 64bit (el_GR.UTF-8, kde-plasma), Windows 7
      AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ ‖ RAM 1750 MiB ‖ ALiveNF6P-VSTA
      nVidia C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] [10de:03d0] {nvidia}
      eth0: nVidia MCP61 Ethernet [10de:03ef] (rev a2)

Comment

they want $1 a month. A quick search come up with about 100 other hosts who don't want any money... wonder if some people will pay just to avoid moving pictures,i know i won't.
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

It's a classic bait and switch, just that sometimes the gap between the bait and the switch can get long. I'd suspect that they hope that those with a large number of files won't be willing to attempt a move. Their next step will be, like the frog in a pot of water, to gradually raise the price. There is always a battle between cost and profit Those good at math and data collection will derive a solution to a linear program simplex method which gives the max & min (min cost or max profit) of any system of contrained linear equations. That's where they will set the price, eventually. If they know what they are doing. Too high a profit and they'll drive away business. If the costs are too high they can't stay in business. One cannot sell below cost and hope to make it up in volume.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            It's a classic bait and switch, just that sometimes the gap between the bait and the switch can get long. I'd suspect that they hope that those with a large number of files won't be willing to attempt a move. Their next step will be, like the frog in a pot of water, to gradually raise the price.
            I dont think so. Imageshack has been around for a long time and they have switched profit gaining strategies more than once. A long time ago, Imageshack was not the same kind of free service it was before this latest shakeup. You had to register and all users were given a very small free account. For small annual fees, you could increase the size of your account. I had a paid account with them for years but dropped it when other free services started to become available. This is about the same time that they dropped the payment plans and stopped requiring users to register. Then they went Fascist for a while and started blocking images on sites that didnt register with them and provide a hotlink back to their site. I think they are struggling to keep profitablility in an age where storage space on the web is so easy to come by.

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
              Imageshack has been around for a long time ...
              Yes, and I have been using their free service for about 6 or 7 years now. I was just reviewing all the old Kubuntu desktop screenshots that I uploaded there over the years -- a nostalgic trip down memory lane. Too bad to lose all of that, but it was only snapshots of the current configuration at prior points in time. Nothing vital or particularly valuable for future purposes. Buh-bye! With 5GB free all over the place, and 50GB on Mega available, there's simply no reason to pay. Period.

Comment

Use Firefox with the imgur extension, just right click your old images on imageshack to transfer them

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk
                Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

There's mediacrush too

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk
                  Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Ok.
                    It MIGHT..................MIGHT.....................

FU#$%^& MIGHT TAKE WHAT..............................

TEN SECONDS for a coder to e-mail every frigging............USER IN THE WORLD

to let us know this..................JEZUS : LOUIZEEEE ..........................

for a BUCK...........they cannot pay a guy minimum wage to let the ulsers know!!!

JES#$ H...CH493s5 l...............

woodsocarelessbutsofu@#$%^madthattheydidn'tnotifyu s!!!!!

typical coders

Comment

I just went there and it said I had 8 days left. Thanks for the heads up. I have been using Imageshack for years.

Comment

Working...
                      X