This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canonical Financials

Found this about their current losses...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTU3MDg

So, how long can any company sustain this level?
    Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.9.3, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Well, SABDFL is worth $500 mil. Canonical could out live him if he keeps it afloat...

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
      ....So, how long can any company sustain this level?
      I read an interview in a German mag, a few years ago, in which he is quoted as say that he was putting about $10M/yr into Canonical, from when it started until then. Later, when I called it back up to c&P the exact quote into an LT post I was making, that section of the article had been removed.
      I am surprised at how much money he is pulling in, but apparently not enough to cover his expenses. However, book-keeping is such a creative process these day that the published results cannot be trusted.

Anyway, as I've said before, I believe his abandonment of Ubuntu's stepchildren following 12.04, and the creation of the 5 year release, indicates to me that he is giving Canonical till 2017 to capture a worthwhile piece of the tablet and smartphone market or he is shutting down Canonical and turning Ubuntu loose.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if that extra £10m this year is from their smartphone push. HP lost a LOT of money when they had their WebOS fling! Ubuntu is pretty lucky that SABDFL can afford to prop up a project like this just because he believes it's worthy. I really don't think his end game is to make money back from it... just to set up something that can keep ticking over nicely.

Feathers
        samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

ticking over nicely

THIS IS NOT A RANT AGAINST LOWER POSTERS ...butttt.

for the filthy rich having any kind of pulseat all is better than having a bunch of blathering geeks ranting and raving.....

the whole word "Ubuntu" means......................WHAT!!!!??

I mean the man has said OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN....

and the Linux fanbois and geeks keep slathering against Microsith.......

NOBODY can say that I......the woodsmoker is not slathering against Microsith but......

GIVE ME AND SHUTTLEWORTH A FU@#$%^% BREAK

Ubuntu (philosophy)
          From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
          This article is about philosophy. For other uses, see Ubuntu.
          File:Experience ubuntu.ogg
          Nelson Mandela in 2006 was asked to define "ubuntu" in a video used to launch Ubuntu Linux.[1]

Ubuntu (/uːˈbʊntuː/ oo-BUUN-too; Zulu/Xhosa pronunciation: [ùɓúntʼú])

is a Nguni Bantu term (literally, "human-ness")

roughly translating to "human kindness." It is an idea from the Southern African region which means literally "human-ness," and is often translated as "humanity towards others," but is often used in a more philosophical sense to mean "the belief in a universal bond of sharing that connects all humanity".[2]

In Southern Africa, it has come to be used as a term for a kind of humanist philosophy, ethic or ideology, also known as Ubuntuism or Hunhuism (the latter after the corresponding Shona term) propagated in the Africanization (transition to majority rule) process of these countries during the 1980s and 1990s.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_%28philosophy%29

woodJEEZEsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
            ticking over nicely

for the filthy rich having any kind of pulseat all is better than having a bunch of blathering geeks ranting and raving.....

the whole word "Ubuntu" means......................WHAT!!!!??

I mean the man has said OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN....

and the Linux fanbois and geeks keep slathering against Microsith.......

NOBODY can say that I......the woodsmoker is not slathering against Microsith but......

GIVE ME AND SHUTTLEWORTH A FU@#$%^% BREAK

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_%28philosophy%29

woodJEEZEsmoke
            What connection does this have with anything that the above people have said

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
              HP lost a LOT of money when they had their WebOS fling!
              And their Carly Fiorina fling...
              And their (ongoing) EDS fling...
              And their Leo Apotheker fling...
              And their Autonomy fling...

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
                ticking over nicely

Ummm... As, I believe, the "lowest" poster here, I have to confess (beating of the back, tears, etc.) that I don't have a clue what you mean.
                Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.9.3, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

He's probably using the "newest posts on top" setting, so everything posted before he wrote that appears below his post, hence it's all "lower".
                  samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                    And their Carly Fiorina fling...
                    And their (ongoing) EDS fling...
                    And their Leo Apotheker fling...
                    And their Autonomy fling...
                    And their flipped webcam wiring fling...
                    And their replacement parts garden fling, where only HP parts can repair HPs.

Now I am waiting for their "bankruptcy fling"...
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

You'll be waiting a while for that, they're much bigger more secure than their position in the consumer market would suggest!

Besides, if they go under where are you going to get a printer that you can plug into a Linux box and reliably expect, based on the brand alone, to "just work"?
                      samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                      X