This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by buddlespit
    if I add a repository, it breaks everything.
    I don't know if you still care about this, but if you do:

I've found that the cleanest way to add a repo in opensuse is to get a .ymp from that repo from software.opensuse.org, and then when you open that .ymp in yast, it prompts you as to whether you want to add the associated repo permanently or just for that single install.

Speaking more broadly, I've found that, in opensuse, if something CAN be done in yast, then doing it in yast is the cleanest approach.
    I run Kubuntu 18.04 LTS.

Comment

Good to know. I'll try that next time I try OpenSUSE. I'm currently on KDE Archlinux and have found that if I break something, it's pretty easy to roll back to a working system. Having to work with pkgbuilds is a little frustrating, if not just a pain, but it is neat to watch the build happen...
      I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Sorry for the delay - we were in North Carolina house hunting...

PDR60: I have been running btrfs for almost 4 years. Support has been included in Kubuntu since 10.04. You will need to install brtfs-tools for some features, but basic usage is available to you now.

Before you dive in, I suggest you do some reading on this forum - Myself and a few others have been posting about btrfs for awhile now. Other good sources are the Arch wiki btrfs pages and FunToo btrfs pages.

GG: The main thing that pushed me away from PCLOS was the forum moderators and a few members. I had the audacity to mention the existence of another Linux distro (Kubuntu!) in the Social section. I literally got threats from a member because of it and the forum mods weren't concerned or didn't care. They were anti-everything I know about Linux and it's community.
        Last edited by oshunluvr; Feb 11, 2014, 12:40 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          GG: The main thing that pushed me away from PCLOS was the forum moderators and a few members. I had the audacity to mention the existence of another Linux distro (Kubuntu!) in the Social section. I literally got threats from a member because of it and the forum mods weren't concerned or didn't care. They were anti-everything I know about Linux and it's community.
          That was my observation too. When TexStar was away the folks he left in charge let it go to their heads. The forum became clickish and hostile to anyone who didn't hue the party line. They even blocked people who would not be intimidated. Under their control the distro's quality sank to unacceptable levels and there was a masss defection, including me. I went back to Mandriva, and from Mandriva to here. This forum is an absolute jewel among forums, most notably for its tolerence and mutual repspect members who for each other, even if the passionately disagree with eachother.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
          X