X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's good to hear you are back!
    sigpic

Comment

"Welcome to the hotel Kubuntu. You can check out any time you want, but you can never leave!"
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Our wayward child returns after only four days. Rejoice!

Comment

Originally posted by vw72 View Post
          Didn't Kubuntu say they were not going Mir and would go Wayland?
          Yes. Martin Graesslin, the KWin maintainer, has rejected taking patches for Mir. He is spending his time preparing KWin for Wayland.

Originally posted by vw72 View Post
          it seems a bit slower on my hardware than Kubuntu and Ubuntu Gnome, but ymmv.
          I have noticed the same thing. openSUSE includes an awful lot of customization and "branding." I don't know how much of that contributes to slowness, real or perceived. But something's definitely happening, because the overall feel is a bit sluggish.

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          I used OpenSUSE in the past and go tired of RPM hell. I've heard the package management is much better now, but the burn is still remembered so I'm staying away.
          Indeed, those days are long gone. RPM-based distributions no longer rely on RPM's weak solver, because it can't handle circular dependencies (the cause of "RPM hell). The most common front end, YUM, has a much better solver. openSUSE uses ZYpp, which has probably one of the best dependency solvers in modern use.

Originally posted by Buddlespit View Post
          When Ubuntu goes the way of Mir, what is going to happen to Kubuntu? The only way that any of the *ubuntu derivatives are going to be able to continue to use the Ubuntu base is to hope that A) Ubuntu still has X as a fallback or 2) other de's start porting to Mir. KDE has already said "no" to that. And I like KDE.
          We know that (2) won't happen. A variant of (A) is likely to be this: the team that maintains the Xorg-Edgers PPA will take on maintenance of Wayland for Ubuntu. Indeed, you can already see large chunks of Wayland in their PPA. The *buntu flavors that reject Mir can take Wayland from here.

the forums are full of 'anal retentive' people
          No retentiveness here. We've moved to the next stage: anal expulsive! Didn't you miss us? LOL

Comment

My friend, I scanned this forum daily, so I didn't miss y'all too much...
            I'm currently on my second install of Kubuntu on my main system since last night. It would prolly (I just added 'prolly' to my dictionary, so tired of seeing it 'misspelled') go better if I didn't try installing the trusty alpha on a dual raid system or try to get nvidia installed immediately.
            BTW, for those interested, I have found that
            Code:
            $ sudo mdadm --assemble --scan
            will scan and assemble both of my software raids accurately as long as the drives have the 'raid' flag set. This is vs:
            Code:
            $ sudo mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 (my root drive) && sudo mdadm --assemble /dev/md1 /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb2 (my swap drive)
            And if you were to C&P the Ubuntu Boot-Repair instructions (yes, I still have to run boot-repair on my UEFI Trusty 14.04), you have to edit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/yannubuntu-boot-repair-trusty.list to reflect saucy instead of trusty.
            I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

I can say I moved my 12.10 Desktop to 13.10 yesterday. Actually didn't take long at all. I was expecting an all day thing mostly because I'm used to that on Windows. Can say Install, updates done at Install and reinstall of all programs I use was done in 2.5 hours. I've been functional with no issues. So. Kubuntu yea! Welcome Home Buddlespit!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                No retentiveness here. We've moved to the next stage: anal expulsive! Didn't you miss us? LOL
                You never cease to amaze me!
                samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

OK, this didn't work.... <various reasons here> ...I'll be back on Kubuntu before the weekend ends...
                  Been there, done that!
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

My friend, I scanned this forum daily, so I didn't miss y'all too much...
                    I'm currently on my second install of Kubuntu on my main system since last night. It would prolly (I just added 'prolly' to my dictionary, so tired of seeing it 'misspelled') go better if I didn't try installing the trusty alpha on a dual raid system or try to get nvidia installed immediately.
                    BTW, for those interested, I have found that
                    Code:
                    $ sudo mdadm --assemble --scan
                    will scan and assemble both of my software raids accurately as long as the drives have the 'raid' flag set. This is vs:
                    Code:
                    $ sudo mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 (my root drive) && sudo mdadm --assemble /dev/md1 /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb2 (my swap drive)
                    And if you were to C&P the Ubuntu Boot-Repair instructions (yes, I still have to run boot-repair on my UEFI Trusty 14.04), you have to edit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/yannubuntu-boot-repair-trusty.list to reflect saucy instead of trusty.
                    I used to run all my installs using mdadm RAID since my PCLinuxOS days - circa 2007-8. Since then, I've discovered btrfs and use it almost exclusively now. You get better performance with RAID0, but btrfs has so many other pluses along with multi-drive RAID capabilities that I'm staying with it.

Please Read Me

Comment

OK, this didn't work. I can't see my screens because they're blurry, my games are running to slow (10-15fps vs. 25-35fps on Kubuntu), the forums are full of 'anal retentive' people and, God forbid, if I add a repository, it breaks everything. I've run alphas that were more stable!
                      I'll be back on Kubuntu before the weekend ends...
                      Sorry... we rented your room out already! You said you weren't going to need it, and we needed the money ....
                      Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
                      DACS Linux Sig | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
                      Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Comment

Originally posted by dragonbite View Post
                        Sorry... we rented your room out already! You said you weren't going to need it, and we needed the money ....
                        Good one! Funny, that's the same thing I told my kids!

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by dragonbite View Post
                          I've been waiting to tell my kid that one
                          I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Good one! Funny, that's the same thing I told my kids!
                            My parents didn't say it directly. Instead they "took over" the room, and painted the walls pink and put frilly furniture accessories all around.

I got the hint
                            Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
                            DACS Linux Sig | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
                            Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Comment

I used to run all my installs using mdadm RAID since my PCLinuxOS days - circa 2007-8. Since then, I've discovered btrfs and use it almost exclusively now. You get better performance with RAID0, but btrfs has so many other pluses along with multi-drive RAID capabilities that I'm staying with it.
                              How long have you been running btrfs? I wasn't going to switch to it until RedHat put in production. I'm using ext4 for everything now and I would sure like some of the features of btrfs. For work we run RedHat/Centos but at home I'm on LTS. Will 13.04 include support for btrfs? If so I'll sure give it a try.

Comment

That was the same period, about a year and a half, that I ran PCLOS too! IIRC, toward the end of that period TexStar was blown out of Huston by a hurricane and was absent from the day-to-day management of PCLOS. That's when it began to go south and I left for better climates. Also, IIRC, it was #1 on distrowatch for that period as well, which shows how inaccurate that page hit counter is.

Originally posted by PDR60 View Post
                                How long have you been running btrfs? I wasn't going to switch to it until RedHat put in production. I'm using ext4 for everything now and I would sure like some of the features of btrfs. For work we run RedHat/Centos but at home I'm on LTS. Will 13.04 include support for btrfs? If so I'll sure give it a try.
                                Oshunluver convineced me to try btrfs and I haven't been disappointed. I'm running Trusty in dualboot with Win7, which I rarely ever log into, A couple days a go a major upgrade of Trusty involving well over 250 packages hit the repository. I opened a Konsol, mounted my btrfs partiion, /dev/sda4, on /mnt (while I am in it and running it!), and created a snapshot backup for both @ and @home. Then I umounted /mnt and ran the upgrade. Everything installed fine. If it hadn't I would have mounted my /dev/sda4 on /mnt again, renamed @ as @old and @home as @home_old, and renamed @bkup as @ and @home_bkup as @home, checked fstab to make sure the uuid's reflected the new situation, unmounted /mnt and rebooted, giving me my system before the faulty upgrade. Oh, backing up both @ (which is "/") and @home (which is "/home") took all of 30 seconds total. Snapshots are almost instantaneous. So is renaming. Backing up and/or restoring a system running on ETX4 would have taken HOURS. Word of caution: don't be seduced by "snapper" or apt-btrfs-snapshot. While they work as advertised, the automatic making of snapshot can eat up diskspace very rapidly. Snapper is set to make hourly snapshots of "/" and "/home". One can edit the snapper config and reduce that to 3 or 4 each for / and /home. Apt-btrfs-snapshot will create a snapshot of / and /home everytime the system, or you, run apt-get. It's up to you to cull the old ones. All things considered, I decided to remove both snapper and apt-btrfs-snapshot because making snapshots is drop dead easy and lightening fast, and manually, I can make them when I need to.
                                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                                X