X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And another interresting distro

http://solydxk.com/homeedition/solydk/

And another interesting distro (based on Debian 7) called exe gnu/linux it has two desktops Trinity and LXDE, quite interesting to load this up from a live CD and play around with Trinity (KDE3) brings back memories

Comment

Did that done that....

unfortunately even Linux geeks need a "chatty forum" and that is not there...

BUT...........ROCK SOLID!!!

woodneestovisitsmoke

Comment

Solyd came to be because Mint wouldn't officially support KDE on LMDE, I'm actually using it now. The installer urgently support using multiple drives (a problem most distros seem to have) but they are planning a new installer.
        Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

I tried SolydK for a month because the idea of a rolling release seems interesting, but it needs some more work to be really good.
          There are all sorts of small details to be ironed out, so I came back to Kubuntu.
          Je suis Charlie, how many more people have to die for religions
          linux user #447706 on https://linuxcounter.net
          A good place to start:
          Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers

Comment

Originally posted by mbohets View Post
            so I came back to Kubuntu.
            Most people do Welcome back.

Comment

Which version of KDE is the default in SolydK? I got the impression it's a old version, or as some consider it - a solid version. Is there something like kubuntu backports to support the latest packages?

Atm I'm leaning towards any distro that deliver a fairly stable version of Plasma 5 .. and the only distro that I know right now, which have a set date, is Kubuntu in October.

edit; of course there is Neon project, but that couldn't be considered 'fairly stable'... I think

b.r

Jonas
              Last edited by Jonas; Jul 18, 2014, 05:21 AM.
              ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
              Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
              Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
              Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
              - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
              >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas View Post
                Which version of KDE is the default in SolydK? I got the impression it's a old version, or as some consider it - a solid version. Is there something like kubuntu backports to support the latest packages?
                I tried to look on the official web site but could not find details of the current version of KDE it was using, so I looked on Distrowatch and according to them it is using KDE 4.13 (sorry, Plasma 4.13)
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas View Post
                  Atm I'm leaning towards any distro that deliver a fairly stable version of Plasma 5 .. and the only distro that I know right now, which have a set date, is Kubuntu in October.
                  The KDE folks are recommending that distributions not use Plasma 5 as the default desktop right now. But, as you say, by the time October rolls around, and Plasma 5.1 is out the door, things could change.

Comment

I agree, Steve. And, Neon 5's performance is such a significant increase that I will probably make it my default desktop when 5.1 comes out.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Neon is moving fast with typically some 80 updates per day.
                      But there are so many missing parts that I can't see it replacing regular Kubuntu any time soon.

Comment

http://crunchbang.org/ - Based on Debian Wheezy
                        http://linuxbbq.org/ - A Mix....crazy but fun

Best Regards,

MR
                        Beware the Almighty Command Line

Comment

One of the KDE/Plasma developers who is a member of the siduction forum has set up a "kde-frameworks" repo for us and there is an "early/developmental" version of KDE 5 and Plasma 5 available there, which will install as an upgrade on a siduction KDE 4 system (or at least it worked for me last weekend). I have it on a VM. But there are still quite a few missing pieces -- you wouldn't want to use it for anything important just yet. He also says that frameworks 5.1.0 and plasma 5.0.1 will be coming soon and will improve the functionality a lot.

Comment

Working...
                          X