This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] Kubuntu helped me acheive A's on two course related projects :]

For my Advanced Hardware/Software course (which is centered around Windows) I selected a topic about what is Virtualbox, installation, and recorded demonstration. I used Kazaam to record my voice/audio and my desktop, Libre Office Impress for the presentation and went to town. Everything worked smoothly and my audience were in awe how cool Kubuntu's environment looked and how everything came out so professional like it was ready to be uploaded for a review on YouTube or some type of Podcast. Second time was for my online class where we had to do a presentation on the "hottest tech" out currently, I did mine on AMD's HUMA technology; once again I used Kazaam to record my voice and Impress to create my presentation, scored a 100. Others were having issues getting their desktop recording software to work in Windows hehe. Once again this was a class centered around Windows so it's cool to show off what Linux can do in a modern era. Nonetheless, love how KDE still respects the desktop user in their DE.

Great job! Both with showing off the real usability and superiority of Kubuntu and Linux in general, and of course with your excellent class work. Congrats!

I love this kind of story. Too bad the business world is so slow at waking up to what Linux has to offer.

Please Read Me

Comment

Brilliant! I've never used Kazaam before, might check it out.

Kudos for branching out and doing something different!

Feathers
      samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

You might give vokoscreen a try for recording the desktop. I like it better than Kazaam.
        Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
        Always consider Occam's Razor
        Rich

Comment

Bravo!
          I teach college bio/phy sci/env sci.

I have actually had three students from many years of teaching that actually used Ubuntu, so that is pretty good I guess, but NOBODY did what you did, especially in an "IT" class because they are lockstep windblows.

However, more to the point

The Windblows system is SO BAD that the college has installed "Camtasia" to try to get the instructors to try to do a "welcome" video to put on Blackboard.

So....again, good on! and come back more often!

woodsmoke

Comment

Thumbs up to ya.
            Linux User #454271

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              Great job! Both with showing off the real usability and superiority of Kubuntu and Linux in general, and of course with your excellent class work. Congrats!

I love this kind of story. Too bad the business world is so slow at waking up to what Linux has to offer.
              Thank you. Linux is one of the best secrets out there.

Brilliant! I've never used Kazaam before, might check it out.

Kudos for branching out and doing something different!

Feathers
              It's awesome! Glad I helped someone discover something new.

You might give vokoscreen a try for recording the desktop. I like it better than Kazaam.
              I checked it out, looks early in its lifestyle but is shaping up to be something very nice. I like how it can do webcam at the same time for screencasting purposes. That would have been nice to have during my presentations; will definitely test it out.

Bravo!
              I teach college bio/phy sci/env sci.

I have actually had three students from many years of teaching that actually used Ubuntu, so that is pretty good I guess, but NOBODY did what you did, especially in an "IT" class because they are lockstep windblows.

However, more to the point

The Windblows system is SO BAD that the college has installed "Camtasia" to try to get the instructors to try to do a "welcome" video to put on Blackboard.

So....again, good on! and come back more often!

woodsmoke
              Nice. Indeed people are still afraid to try Linux. It seems many have pre-convieved notions that it is a "command line" only operating system and not "easy to use" like Windows. It is quite the contrary now, I am pretty proficient in Windows (even in user group policy stuff etc.) and found Windows 8/8.1 a regressive nightmare. I feel those who say "they warmed up to it" do not work in a productive environment, just use social media/stay stuck on one screen in a kiosk esque manner, or installed a 3rd party app that helps the start bar and window manager go "somewhat close" to what it was in 7 (might as well stay with 7 at that point). It was funny that one of my classmates did a presentation on some of the features of Windows 8 (that he swore up and down he learned no problem) and could not even answer some of the questions about what he covered, sometimes it is not good to turn a blind eye to things and rationalize something to make it appear better than it actually is. Even in my Network Operating System class it was sad how they only taught Linux (using an old Fedora 13 I might add) as a bunch of command line functions (which is definitely not a bad thing) but lacked lessons about how good the desktop environments are and how you do not have to rely on terminal unless you are doing something serious (which is no different from Windows). The Windows side of lessons consisted of easy to do gui tasks which made Linux looked like a raw and difficult operating system which is far from reality. Quite sad I must say.

Speaking of recording desktops on Windows that reminds me of when my spreadsheet teacher was recording her lecture using Record My Desktop software for her online students and she thought the audio was recording; it turned out during the whole time no audio recorded. Let's just say she was pretty frustrated and next thing ya know she chucked her headset ricocheting off the desk barely missing me lol. The whole thing was funny I must say; seeing a cute pair of pink headphones flying right by me and whatnot hehe.

I'll try to come back more often lol, it is just difficult when you have a reliable "set it and forget it" like Kubuntu operating system you seem to forget about the operating system layer and start accomplishing things.

Thumbs up to ya.
              Thanks!
              Last edited by Aries K; Jan 04, 2014, 01:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aries K View Post
                you do not have to rely on terminal unless you are doing something serious
                Or want to play.
                Code:
                tr -c "[:digit:]" " " < /dev/urandom | dd cbs=$COLUMNS conv=unblock | GREP_COLOR="1;32" grep --color "[^ ]"
                (source)

Speaking of recording desktops on Windows that reminds me of when my spreadsheet teacher was recording her lecture using Record My Desktop software for her online students and she thought the audio was recording; it turned out during the whole time no audio recorded.
                Perhaps she needed the help of our friend the command line:
                Code:
                avconv -f x11grab -s $(xdpyinfo | awk '/dimensions/ {print $2}') -i :0.0 -f pulse -i default \
                -c:v libtheora -q 10 -c:a libvorbis desktopwithaudio.mkv

I'll try to come back more often lol, it is just difficult when you have a reliable "set it and forget it" like Kubuntu operating system you seem to forget about the operating system layer and start accomplishing things.
                Wait, what? You're actually doing work? Don't tell anyone! This Linux stuff is just for geeks, not for actual, you know, productivity or whatever.
                Last edited by SteveRiley; Jan 04, 2014, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                  Or want to play.
                  Code:
                  tr -c "[:digit:]" " " < /dev/urandom | dd cbs=$COLUMNS conv=unblock | GREP_COLOR="1;32" grep --color "[^ ]"
                  (source)

Perhaps she needed the help of our friend the command line:
                  Code:
                  avconv -f x11grab -s $(xdpyinfo | awk '/dimensions/ {print $2}') -i :0.0 -f pulse -i default \
                  -c:v libtheora -q 10 -c:a libvorbis desktopwithaudio.mkv

Wait, what? You're actually doing work? Don't tell anyone! This Linux stuff is just for geeks, not for actual, you know, productivity or whatever.
                  Well stated Steve.

Comment

Working...
                  X