This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Presentation: Attack Progressions

My employer, Riverbed Technology, is the corporate sponsor of Wireshark, an open source network protocol analyzer. Each summer, we hold an annual four-day event called Sharkfest, in which many cool people come to share very geeky stuff about networks.

In 2012 I delivered a keynote talk called "In the cloud, everything you think you know is wrong." Unfortunately, it wasn't recorded.

In 2013, I delivered a presentation called "Attack Progressions: first they came for bandwidth...now they want to make a difference." It's an overview of the vulnerability landscape, how it's changed over time, how attackers evolve their techniques, and how defenders can improve. A recording of this talk is now available. Since we've been discussing security in various threads here on KFN, I figured some of you might enjoy this.

Not to be missed is my colleague Charles Kaplan's talk, "To engineer is human...so is being lazy." He tells several humorous stories about poor security engineering he's seen during his career.

Thanks Steve!

I've been tinkering with Wireshark recently, it's really interesting (although a little bit daunting at first).

Feathers
    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Just watched your presentation, it was really interesting!

I'll fight you over your civil engineering comparison, though, especially when it comes to geotechnical engineering

You may know to a high degree of certainty what's in your steel beam (because you made it!), but you know very little about what's in the ground: usually you're going on just a few borehole records and making a reasonable guess based on those. Your assumptions about how the superstructure (above ground) will behave may or may not be valid based on various soil-structure interaction effects, for example whether or not your connection to the foundation can move or not, and that depends on those elusive soil properties...

Plus, of course, most complex analyses are done using... finite element analysis software! So following the steps may not give you the result you wanted
      samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Far be it from me to argue with a man whose apparent expertise happens to be dirt.

Comment

Pahaha. If you ever meet a geotechnical engineer and you want to wind them up, insist on calling all soil "mud".

So... what kind of mud do we have here?

Works every time!

You'd love some of the geotechnical engineering stuff btw, it's full of innuendo - rotary boring / shaft friction... you couldn't ask for better material!
          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Yeah I could dig that...

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
              Yeah I could dig that...
              Ugh!
              samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

You tend to make it rather easy for me...you and Oshuluvr both put stuff here that I simply can't resist responding to

Comment

They're called "straight men"!
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hey! I resemble that remark...

Please Read Me

Comment

Honestly, with what I know of Steve's sense of humor and the text posted by Feathers, I assumed there would be a few more "dirty" comments.

Please Read Me

Comment

Is that the sound of a gauntlet being thrown?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                          Is that the sound of a gauntlet being thrown?
                          As Zen koans go, what IS the sound of one gauntlet thrown?
                          Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.9.3, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu
                            As Zen koans go, what IS the sound of one gauntlet thrown?
                            It's the same sound as one hand clapping, or that of a tree in perpetual free-fall.
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

So do I!
                              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                              X