This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
    Somebody make me stop before I reply to this!
    Ahhhhh, my evil plan begins to unfold....

Please Read Me

Comment

@oshunluvr: IF you mean was she very open girl, yes I think she was open to everyone at the bar that would buy her a drink.

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
      Even if she was, everyone would have a different interpretation:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/31/sc...g-results.html
      Good article Feathers. I wouldn't put much stock in those $99 online DNA tests and here is why. While 99.9% of human DNA sequences are the same in every person, there is normally enough to identify the person unless they are an identical twin (monozygotic twins) where the same egg splits at conception. As far as being able to identify you, most professional labs that perform DNA profiling uses repetitive sequences that are highly variable, called variable number tandem repeats (VNTR) and short tandem repeats (STR). Therefore I think these cheapo $99 tests are just using simple testing, and are not being very honest with the outcome. Other considerations is contamination of the sample in collection and the rate of laboratory error. The difference of going to to an astrologer and not an astronomer.

Unrelated individuals are extremely unlikely to have the same VNTRs so it can be used to test for genetic family relationships such as paternity, maternity, siblings, etc.. When you hear people say, risk of a coincidental match is 1 in 100 billion, that is true to some extent, but remember that about 0.2% of the world population is composed of identical twins, so the real odds are closer to 1 in 1000. Of course I think most of us would know, we had an identical twin.

There are some rather strange cases of people being born with 2 sets of DNA called a chimeras, are actually 2 eggs fused at conception. The result is a person who might have one eye of a different color or both male and female organs. These individuals are rare in the extreme. Also people who undergo transplants and bone marrow infusion can give complete different DNA results. But even with these rare factors DNA is better than fingerprints in my opinion.

The woman in the article was using DNA testing for genetic predisposition which is NOT an accepted form of scientific discovery. I for one believe lifestyle and environmental factors play a much larger role in many common diseases, including cancer, obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and mental illness. Anyone seeing the sci-fi movie Gattaca (1997) it shows in the first 10 mins a baby born and DNA screened. The parents are told he will die of heart failure at the age of 35 and is labeled as an invalid. If the medical community was so sure what DNA coding was the cause for any disease then we would also have the cure for that disease. In short the baby in the movie could have been "repaired" with some simple gene therapy. Most patients with congenital amaurosis, lymphocytic leukemia, multiple myeloma, and Parkinson's disease --just to name a few-- have success stories with gene therapy.

It somewhat troubles me that my grandfather on my mother's side died of lung cancer at a young age. But not so much when you consider his environment and lifestyle. Born in Japan and a chronic cigarette smoker. Thankfully my mother does not smoke and neither do I. Some day with genetics, we will eliminate all disease once we can pin point the cause. The day that occurs it will then be up to various government to lift bans and restrictions against genetic practices in general. I mean to say, the leaders don't want us to live forever and over populate the Earth after all. The cure could be much worse than the disease.

Comment

It pays to have experts on the forum! That's really interesting, thanks.

Richard Dawkins had his genome sequenced (by the human genome project IIRC) - I guess this is different because they actually did it properly? Although there's probably still a fair bit of interpretation of the results.

The results were really interesting, I think he had a 75% chance of being born with the disease that "mad king George" may have had (poryphyria). Again, it's been a while since I watched the programme, sorry of any of the details are misremembered!
        samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Working...
        X