This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Simon View Post
    I really wish I could have talked her into Linux because running Vista is only going to result in more issues for her.
    Did you really have to use Vista, rather than Windows 7?

Also, try this. Create a standard (that is, non-admin) user account and have her log in with that. Among other things, standard accounts can't install software. This should significantly reduce the likelihood of malware infestation.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      Did you really have to use Vista, rather than Windows 7?

Also, try this. Create a standard (that is, non-admin) user account and have her log in with that. Among other things, standard accounts can't install software. This should significantly reduce the likelihood of malware infestation.
      This was my first time meeting the lady, and she seemed very "rooted" in her ways. She had an older PC in the room and wanted us to take it back to the apartment to repair it. Frank managed to avoid the task very well by changing the subject. But not before she informed me it was her old XP on that one. If we get roped into more freebie computer work maybe I can put Frank's Debian/Gnome on there and tell her it is "Windows Advanced". His fish tank PC is still cooking, which I find awesome... and kind of scary. I will pass word to her through Frank about the restricted account. But if she is stubborn as I think, she will just bypass the admin password. Frank found a new girl friend for the new year, which is good, actually quiet for a change in here. He likes his death metal, I don't.

Comment

she will just bypass the admin password
        1. Log in to "Administrator."
        2. Create "Alice" (or whatever) as a standard user. Put a password on it or leave it blank, doesn't really matter.
        3. Change the current password on "Administrator" to something only you and Frank know.
        4. Log out.
        5. Win.

The only way to circumvent this now is to boot the computer from a USB, mount the Windows partition, and delete the SAM (security accounts manager) database. That's a tall order even for many geeks.

Frank found a new girl friend for the new year
        So is this an annual thing, then? LOL

Comment

Annual appraisal / performance review? Lol
          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

You could try this COMODO's cleaning essentials it's a free virus removal tool I've tried the companies Internet Security Software when I had windows on and it was perfectly fine for me, maybe it'll work for you....
            System Specs:
            Processor: Intel Core-i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz /// Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB GDDR5 /// RAM: 2 X 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz Memory /// Hard Drive Storage: 2TB SATA Hard Drive (Enabled), 120GB Solid State Drive (Disabled) /// Operating System: Kubuntu 16.04

Comment

I used to have my daughters computer (running Win7) set up with user/admin accounts. This lead to me having to go to her computer once every couple of days to type in my admin password when she wanted to install something or even update the virus definitions or run a quick scan. I just recently gave her user account admin privileges and told her that if she breakes her computer, then she'll have to either spring for a new copy of Windows because I won't buy it, or I'll have to install Kubuntu. She still comes to me and askes if I think it's ok to install 'such-n-such' program.
              I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Eh, Feathers is still new here, but (s?)he's showing all signs of the usual KFN corruption assimilation
                He! Although I do have reasonably long hair

You're suggesting that I'm a minority group with some distinct culture that can be absorbed into KFN... what would that be? Lol

Also, what are the signs? I'd like to know how long I've got left...

Feathers
                samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
                  He! Although I do have reasonably long hair

You're suggesting that I'm a minority group with some distinct culture that can be absorbed into KFN... what would that be? Lol

Also, what are the signs? I'd like to know how long I've got left...

Feathers
                  4446 posts until you reach "Cyborg"

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                    4446 posts until you reach "Cyborg"
                    Safe for a while, then...
                    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

I am letting Frank deal with his step-mom on this one. He wrote down the steps you told me Steve and he says thank you. While we are geeks Frank and I are of the medical breed of geekdom. But I am certain he can handle it.

Closer to a quarterly thing. He is a "pretty boy" and a player. She will need a whip and a chair to fend off the others before long. Come to think of it, I don't recall him breaking it off with the last girl he was seeing. At least with the new shiny he won't be in the apartment doing things that bug me. He likes to play on my PS3 with the death metal cranked until the neighbors start complaining. I told him to use head phones and he claims it is not the same. Hard to believe but we are pretty good friends still, who want to start our own clinic and lab in a few years. I hope he will mature.

Comment

She will need a whip and a chair to fend off the others before long.
                        Is this all part of his plan?
                        samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Come to think of it, I don't recall him breaking it off with the last girl he was seeing.
                          Choice, in free software and in women, is always a good thing.

Comment

Yes, but is she open source?

Please Read Me

Comment

Even if she was, everyone would have a different interpretation:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/31/sc...g-results.html
                              samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Somebody make me stop before I reply to this!

Comment

Working...
                                X