X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your wi-fi is watching you

Well, not yet, but soon.

Wi-Fi signals enable gesture recognition throughout entire home

Forget to turn off the lights before leaving the apartment? No problem. Just raise your hand, finger-swipe the air, and your lights will power down. Want to change the song playing on your music system in the other room? Move your hand to the right and flip through the songs.

University of Washington computer scientists have developed gesture-recognition technology that brings this a step closer to reality. Researchers have shown it's possible to leverage Wi-Fi signals around us to detect specific movements without needing sensors on the human body or cameras. By using an adapted Wi-Fi router and a few wireless devices in the living room, users could control their electronics and household appliances from any room in the home with a simple gesture.

"This is repurposing wireless signals that already exist in new ways," said lead researcher Shyam Gollakota, a UW assistant professor of computer science and engineering. "You can actually use wireless for gesture recognition without needing to deploy more sensors."
    What is WiSee?

WiSee is a novel interaction interface that leverages ongoing wireless transmissions in the environment (e.g., WiFi) to enable whole-home sensing and recognition of human gestures. Since wireless signals do not require line-of-sight and can traverse through walls, WiSee can enable whole-home gesture recognition using few wireless sources (e.g., a Wi-Fi router and a few mobile devices in the living room).

WiSee is the first wireless system that can identify gestures in line-of-sight, non-line-of-sight, and through-the-wall scenarios. Unlike other gesture recognition systems like Kinect, Leap Motion or MYO, WiSee requires neither an infrastructure of cameras nor user instrumentation of devices. We implement a proof-of-concept prototype of WiSee and evaluate it in both an office environment and a two-bedroom apartment. Our results show that WiSee can identify and classify a set of nine gestures with an average accuracy of 94%.

Neat but scary.

Imagine what the neighbours going to think when your all lamps start to twinkle because of "bedroom gestures"

b.r

Jonas
    ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
    Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
    Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
    Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
    - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
    >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Do it outside, then!

Comment

OMG......are ALL THOSE WAVES coursing throughout my body!?

What if they sterilize me!?

Ooops, I kinda fell into that one, I imagine that a LOT of folks would just as soon that I NOT produce progeny!

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas View Post
          Neat but scary.

Imagine what the neighbours going to think when your all lamps start to twinkle because of "bedroom gestures"

b.r

Jonas
          This has real potential! You could program your lights to dim, fireplace to light, and Barry White to start playing all with a simple gesture of your...

...sorry. I just can't help it! LOL

Please Read Me

Comment

...and light your cigarette with a different gesture.

Comment

I read some time ago about the police deploying wifi devices around a building in an ad-hoc network and then using a computer to detect the motion of people inside the building. If the people aren't moving they are harder to detect, but the heart always moves and they are tinkering with their software and hardware to be able to detect people via their beating hearts. Here's some links about some of the work:
              http://people.csail.mit.edu/fadel/papers/wivi-paper.pdf

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-574...through-walls/

I read about this use of Wifi several years ago, perhaps even before I retired in 2008, so I imagine that it has come a long way by now and may even be in use by one or more of our government agencies.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Interesting!

Comment

OR, someone is watching your Wifi!

I just read a news story in Der Spiegel about NSA spying. Among the MANY devices they have is one called "Nightstand", which allows them to hack into a wifi from as far as EIGHT MILES away.
                  http://www.spiegel.de/international/...-a-940969.html

Cryptographer, developer and activist Jacob Appelbaum took to the pages of Germany’s Der Spiegel and the keynote dais of the 30th Chaos Communication Congress this weekend to deliver a damning expose of the catalog of backdoors, monitoring programs and products that potentially have and could be compromised by the National Security Agency.

The full keynote is given here and is well worth the time taken to watch it. It gives evidence that the spying has been going on much longer and is much deeper than you might have suspected in your worse nightmares. Some of his data is 5 or 6 years old, based on some of the hardware and operating systems mentioned, but some is as recent as the telephone tapping of the German president, Merkel.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                    telephone tapping of the German president chancellor, Merkel.
                    The frustrating thing about that episode is that she really didn't seem to care about NSA snopping around Europe until she found out they specifically targeted her, according to a few reports I read when the fulmination erupted. Talk about hypocrisy...
                    Last edited by SteveRiley; Dec 31, 2013, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Steve, did you catch the part in the video about EXT3 having (had) an exploit?
                      And that the NSA was using Fedora 3 to hack into Windows running Explorer 5 or 6?

Comment

Still doing some work. I plan to watch the video later.

Comment

Working...
                        X