Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And then there was one. Installed Kubuntu on HP laptop.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[LAPTOP] And then there was one. Installed Kubuntu on HP laptop.

Previously, I had 2 Kubuntu computers I built myself and 2 laptops that came with Windows 7 and 8. I had the mentality that "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" for quite a long while and used Windows 7 on this laptop and it did work perfectly. However, upon hearing that Windows has possibly created custom made backdoors for the NSA, I had a change of heart. Sure, I have nothing to hide, but the idea just irritates me. So the other day, while I had my laptop torn down working on it, I decided to switch out my old HD with the brand new one from my wife's new laptop and install Linux.

At first, I was going to install Kwheezy after GreyGeek's post about how well it works, but ultimately decided to stick with Kubuntu, though I will try out Kwheezy on my desktop eventually. First off, my touchpad worked great from the get go and my wireless card worked too. So I could connect to the internet no problem. I clicked to install 3rd party apps and download updates while installing. When I came up to the partitioning option, I decided to go manual, since I was wanting to do a particular setup. It crashed twice. I'm not so sure this was an issue with Kubuntu as it was a Windows issue because the HD did have 8 installed on it and I can't help but think that it had something to do with the crashes. After I ran KDE Partition Manager and wiped the partitions that way, I didn't have a problem.

After installation, I wanted to see if I could close the lid and have the computer wake up from hibernation. This was a key issue for me with Linux. I opened up the lid to a blank screen. I ended up having to do a hard rebooot, twice! After some research, trying to find a solution to the problem, I finally realized that I only needed to get the AMD proprietary drivers for my graphics card. Worked perfectly afterwards.

I have to say, my laptop is faster than ever and wakes up from hibernation much faster than Windows can ever dream of! I haven't really installed that many programs on it yet but I do plan on customizing it far more than my other 2 Kubuntu computers. I definitely need a firewall manager and VPN since this thing's going on the road with me. But I have to say I'm very impressed. What a great distro!

A few days ago I had two crashes during manual assignment of previously made partitions.
    The second time around I found what looked like what was not a coincidence, I assigned a FAT partition to /dos.
    Third time around I did not assign the FAT partition an all went well.

Comment

Working...
    X