Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, if your printer is installed to another computer on your network, you don't need hplip-gui anyway because it doesn't do anything AFAIK. "Attach" your printer via the net driver and use "Manage Print Jobs" in the System Tray instead.

EDIT: Aww Vinny - you beat me to it!

Please Read Me

Comment

Yep, mine is attached to my OpenWrt router via USB, and I had to add it manually in Kubuntu.

I don't know many people who attach printers like this though, they're normally connected to the LAN via WiFi. When mine was set up like this the HPLIP GUI was pretty useful...

Neither OpenWrt nor DD-WRT support WPS though, which is the only non-USB way to get my particular printer to connect over LAN, do when I switched to *wrt I had to find a different solution.
      samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
        Yep, mine is attached to my OpenWrt router via USB, and I had to add it manually in Kubuntu.

I don't know many people who attach printers like this though, they're normally connected to the LAN via WiFi. When mine was set up like this the HPLIP GUI was pretty useful...

Neither OpenWrt nor DD-WRT support WPS though, which is the only non-USB way to get my particular printer to connect over LAN, do when I switched to *wrt I had to find a different solution.
        That's how mine is set up. USB printer on dd-wrt. I have to set up an ipp at socket://192.168.1.1:9100
        I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddlespit View Post
          That's how mine is set up. USB printer on dd-wrt. I have to set up an ipp at socket://192.168.1.1:9100
          Snap! Haha. Unfortunately, I can't set up a scanner with sane yet because the version of HPLIP that has the drivers for the whole all-in-one (including the scanner, not just the printer) hasn't been released as an .ipk or .opk, it's several versions behind the Debian HPLIP.
          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

My scanner works fine via the wired network. Does it behave differently over wireless?

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              My scanner works fine via the wired network. Does it behave differently over wireless?
              I can't connect my printer/scanner to my *wrt router via WiFi because it requires WPS.

Once the printer/scanner is connected to the router via USB, any machine connected to my LAN (via WiFi or Ethernet - doesn't matter) can print fine.

I'm just having problems scanning, because I can't get a new enough version of HPLIP to use with SANE that will run on *wrt.

Make sense?

If I wired the printer/scanner to a desktop that was connected to the network, I'm sure it would work perfectly because the Ubuntu repos have new versions of HPLIP. I don't have a desktop, though, and wouldn't want to leave it on ask the time if I did! Perhaps I could use a Pi.
              samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

I have and use a HP Photosmart C5240 printer and hplip-gui has never been installed with my other printer drivers and softwares. I just a few minutes ago installed the program and it looks like it could be very useful. Is hplip-gui usually not installed by default?
                Linux User #454271

Comment

Originally posted by notabug View Post
                  I have and use a HP Photosmart C5240 printer and hplip-gui has never been installed with my other printer drivers and softwares. I just a few minutes ago installed the program and it looks like it could be very useful. Is hplip-gui usually not installed by default?
                  It isn't installed on Kubuntu by default, IME. I've installed it myself in the past to test it, and thought it was pretty good for its intended purpose.

Feathers
                  samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Feathers. Now I know I need to remember to add it to my app install list on new Kubuntu installations.
                    Linux User #454271

Comment

Working...
                    X