This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
    The logo comes from the GUI interface (package hplip-gui on Ubuntu) to the HP Linux Printing and Imaging System (package hplip on Ubuntu). Hewlett-Packard provides resources for the open source community to use their products, which is better than what most other manufacturers do. The maintainers of KWheezy have decided to include this utility, given their stated desire: "To be easier for Linux or Debian newcomers. It is full-featured, with all the applications, plugins, fonts and drivers that you need for daily use, and some more." Can't imagine why you would feel offended and disgusted that someone wants to make Linux easier for people.
    Who cares what package it came from Steve? The fact is IT IS PROPRIETARY and the Kwheezy maintainer decided to make a an OBVIOUS default (enabling the system tray icon is proof of that), in your zeal to always prove me wrong, you yet again missed the point, FYI, Kwheezy was loaded with other undiserable features but I couldn't be bothered to mention all of them. Like you have shown in the past Steve, you are OK with certain corporations' behaviour, I on the other hand don't even use Google for ANYTHING anymore because of their behaviour, but then again, this distro is the little sister to one of the snoopiest distros ever so I'm not surprised.

So in the next Kubuntu release, have EVERY corporate proprietary utility known to man pre-installed and running (put lots of icons on the desktop and enable every system tray icon, lol) for the dumb masses since they are too clueless to click on a script icon for installation, sounds like a pre-loaded Windows name-brand PC/laptop to me, you guys are making me laugh.
    Last edited by tek_heretik; Dec 19, 2013, 09:13 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
      Who cares what package it came from Steve? The fact is IT IS PROPRIETARY and the Kwheezy maintainer decided to make a an OBVIOUS default, in your zeal to always prove me wrong, you yet again missed the point, FYI, Kwheezy was loaded with other undiserable features but I couldn't be bothered to mention all of them. Like you have shown in the past Steve, you are OK with certain corporations' behaviour, I on the other hand don't even use Google for ANYTHING anymore because of their behaviour, but then again, this distro is the little sister to one of the snoopiest distros ever so I'm not surprised.
      Dude, it's not proprietary, that's the point.

HP printers are better supported on Linux than most others because of HPLIP, HP have contributed to the FOSS drivers for their own printers. This is what we need more of, not less!

I do, however, understand the objection to having the logo on your desktop... but then again, what else could they use? It's specific to HP printers, so a generic printer icon would be misleading.

Feathers
      samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
        Dude, it's not proprietary, that's the point.

HP printers are better supported on Linux than most others because of HPLIP, HP have contributed to the FOSS drivers for their own printers. This is what we need more of, not less!

I do, however, understand the objection to having the logo on your desktop... but then again, what else could they use? It's specific to HP printers, so a generic printer icon would be misleading.

Feathers
        It's still corporate-presence-ware, FOSS or not, a slippery slope, the maintainer could have put an entry in the Kmenu for installation, that's the point, because not everybody owns an HP printer, it just comes down to advertising, we too are a 'market segment'. When installing a distro and it 'sees' an nVidia GPU and auto installs the driver, why not enable the nVidia system tray icon too? Maybe an Adobe icon too or the KDE system settings Flash utility by default? I'm ok with hardware vendors supporting Linux, I'm not OK with a maintainer advertising for them, that simple, bloat is bloat.

Comment

The printer is something the user needs to add by going through a setup dialogue, though, which makes it a little different to the examples you gave.

If the distro auto installs the Nvidia driver, the user doesn't need to do anything, so there's no need for the icon. Same with flash.

The icon serves a purpose, making it easy to set up an HP printer. It doesn't encourage people to install proprietary software, and I can't think of a better icon (can you?).

Even if the utility was hidden in system settings, the HP logo would still be the most useful and informative image to choose.

Feathers
          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

On my Kubuntu hplip images are here: /usr/share/hplip/data/images.
            I suppose one could replace the offending images with a picture of your cat or your girlfriend's... well we won't go there.

I have used HP printers for over 10 years now with mostly good results. They are not perfect but they don't suck too bad.

Ken
            Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Comment

Originally posted by lcorken View Post
              they don't suck too bad.
              In today's IT world, this is what goes for praise. Sigh. Will we ever see high-quality products again?

Comment

Originally posted by lcorken View Post
                On my Kubuntu hplip images are here: /usr/share/hplip/data/images.
                I suppose one could replace the offending images with a picture of your cat or your girlfriend's... well we won't go there.

I have used HP printers for over 10 years now with mostly good results. They are not perfect but they don't suck too bad.

Ken
                Lol! Not a bad idea! The cat, that is...
                samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

I see tek got himself banned. I really hope it's not because he vehemently disagreed with an admin.

To be honest, I think he makes a very valid point and I think a couple of you here are missing what he's saying, either by misinterpretation or willful ignorance. And to expound on a small point made earlier, I shouldn't have to try to figure out how to get rid of that icon from my status bar if I'm not connected to an HP printer. Currently, my laptop, running OpenSUSE, has the icon and it's not connected to the printer. Nor can it find the printer on the print server. I haven't tried to delete hplip yet. But once it annoys me enough, I will.
                  I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddlespit View Post
                    I shouldn't have to try to figure out how to get rid of that icon from my status bar if I'm not connected to an HP printer. Currently, my laptop, running OpenSUSE, has the icon and it's not connected to the printer.
                    Don't you use the icon to tell your computer to connect to that printer? If it was hidden until you were connected, it would be a lot less useful.
                    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Why do you think he is banned? I think the word under his name is self edited in his profile.
                      Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
                      Always consider Occam's Razor
                      Rich

Comment

Maybe I missed the point. It's a rather large dust-up over what amounts to little more than an opinion over whether or not a certain program or driver set should be part of the default install. Last time I checked, Kubuntu did not claim to be purely a FOSS distro nor would most of us want it to be. This has been said before but is worth repeating: The beauty (one of many) of Linux is I am in control of my OS and can simply purge anything I don't like - unlike most other OS's including Android. Furthermore, I can choose another distro which closer mirrors my own beliefs - if I have any.

[soapbox] In a way, this illustrates why Linux has failed to make it to the main stream more than it has: One camp of users screams for convenience and usability while another camp whines about one company or another worming their way into the infrastructure. Absolute silliness on both sides. Sorry if that offends anyone, but I'm a more pragmatic type of fellow. If I don't like something, I tend to look for a solution first, then complain afterward. In my view, far too many people complain but are unwilling to do anything to make themselves happy - or at least satisfied. [/soapbox]

@Buddlespit: Personally, I run my HP 8600 Pro (best printer combo I've ever owned, BTW) via my server so all the driver software resides there. But I believe - if the HP icon is in the system tray - you should be able to disable the icon by simply unchecking it in the system tray settings. Look there if you haven't already.

@Richb: love the new sig line.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks oshunluvr.

I totally agree that the default configuration in Linux is important, but less a factor than the ability to reconfigure it. A pre-configured system is necessary for new adopters, and HP is a very popular printer choice. It gives comfort to those users to see it in the system tray with the HP logo. A user can quickly learn to remove it and any other applications he does not need or use.
                          Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
                          Always consider Occam's Razor
                          Rich

Comment

IMO one of the best things about Linux is how easy the community makes it to learn how to change things you don't like.

This is a prime example, you guys have given many different working solutions already!
                            samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
                              Don't you use the icon to tell your computer to connect to that printer? If it was hidden until you were connected, it would be a lot less useful.
                              It doesn't see my network printer, which, btw, is an HP. I don't print on it from my laptop, since my laptop is just a toy to me. I have tried clicking on it, it just doesn't see a printer. In fact, I just manually installed and tested the printer, and HP-Toolbox still doesn't see it.

Originally posted by richb
                              Why do you think he is banned? I think the word under his name is self edited in his profile.
                              That would make more sense. I really couldn't fathom getting banned for getting frustrated and disagreeing with an admin. Unless I says stuff that's insulting or degrading.
                              I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

if you right click that HP icon you can click quit ,,,,,or settings and check never show ,,,,,,or remove "hplip-gui" and it's gone .

I use it though so ............................

VINNY
                                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                                16GB RAM
                                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                                X