This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gnu/Hurd recent developents

Here is a video for all you insomniacs to watch when you can't get to sleep.

http://audio-video.gnu.org/video/ghm...lopments_.webm

At about 6.30 minutes into it .... drifting off to sleep ... can't keep ... eyes ... open ... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Wow! I never realized how slow Hurd development was. It uses ext2 and the 2.6 kernel. The speaker makes a lot out of being able to run a lot of system tools without having to use sudo. It seems to me that what they have implemented is about the same as running Linux as root. They've JUST STARTED 64bit development, and it has no USB or sound support, but they got the 64 bit Hurd kernel to boot. A speaker and a dozen listeners. The excitement level was so low it could be mistaken for a convention of undertakers.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I'd love to be able to see an alternate universe in which the Linux kernel was released after HURD, or not at all.

I remember reading that development of HURD just died when Linus released Linux. I wonder how successful HURD would have been.
        samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Working...
        X