Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After you've got Kubuntu working just right, what then?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I've got everything done on my Kubuntu computer and everything's working great. So.... now what? Me, personally, I just stick with what works. If your computer is working great, leave it alone and find something else. If I'm bored with my computer, that means it's perfect!

But what about you guys? What do you do when you're done? Start another distro or do you just do something non-computer related?

Hi
    That is a very thoughtful question.

I, personally, have a stamp collection that I work on when not doing other stuff.

As you can see from the photograph of my most recent efforts, I really do have a tough time rearranging them, after all four stamps can recombine into quite a few complex arrangements.

It is a time consuming process, but I soldier on whenever I have time:

Exhausting, but rewarding because I know that ultimately I will get an ideal arrangement!

woodfingersworkedtothebonesmoke

Comment

Kewl! What rare stamps to you have?

I like to collect 80's action TV show memorabilia. I have about 30 General Lees from the Dukes of Hazzard (my favorite TV car of all time), and I don't know how many KITTs from Knight Rider, 7 or 8 of them I believe. I even have a die cast Airwolf helicopter that I bought for $15 which is now worth closer to $70. I still have yet to get the Fall Guy truck or the A-team van, but I'll get them eventually.

My favorites though, I gotta take a pic of these, is 3 cars I got from a brand called Joyride which made the General Lee, Starsky and Hutch Torino, and Smokey & the Bandit Trans Am, but they made them into funny cars kinda. Dang near impossible to find nowadays. Funny, since I only bought them a couple years ago.

Found a pic of the Bandit, my fav of the three:

And one of the General:

Last edited by charles052; Nov 25, 2013, 07:09 PM.

Comment

This is what i can spent more time on now

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-yamaha-fjr1300a-abs3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	273.7 KB
ID:	640531
        sigpic

Comment

Hi charles, ummm what you see in the pic is the totality of my collection!

Kewl rendition of the Smoky car btw!

and.....Gerard....I never allow mysel o be on less than four wheels! lol

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
            Hi charles, ummm what you see in the pic is the totality of my collection!

Kewl rendition of the Smoky car btw!

and.....Gerard....I never allow mysel o be on less than four wheels! lol

woodsmoke
            Thanks!

And I must say, after closer inspection of the stamps, I must say that I'm impressed! I think the 75th anniversary of Colorado is my favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by GerardV View Post
              This is what i can spent more time on now

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4483[/ATTACH]
              Nice!

Comment

I think that possibly the OP should add a poll to this thread.

I just did an upgrade to 14.04, Trusty whatever the poor animal is....and ummmm no problems!

The poll might be:

Do you think that, because Kubuntu now provides such effortless upgrades that:

a) we will lose people because the bleeding edge people will become bored that they will leave for Trisquel, or Kyldewhatever.

b) we will gain people because, really deeep down inside everybody really wants stability and their posts about bleeding edge are just to impress the noobs.

lol

woodsmoke

Comment

I try my best to break it, and have succeeded several times.
                  Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
                  Always consider Occam's Razor
                  Rich

Comment

I'm with Rich - 2 or 3 weeks is all the stability I can stand LOL! Thank goodness I have more than one computer to break.

Seriously, I usually come up with some project or another to play with. Lately it's been my music collection. Too much junk and stuff no one listens to. Using Picard, I've correctly tagged and identified everything (about 9000 songs) and removed a bunch of stuff in the process. It's been about 4 weeks of work in my spare time. Next will be to re-load everything into Google Music and then I'm done.

I've stopped upgrading at every release because I got tired of re-fine-tuning every six months. I'm going to move to 14.04 when it stabilizes some what - around June likely - then I will re-evaluate based on the Wayland/Mir situation. But that's a topic from another thread...

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by charles052 View Post
                      If I'm bored with my computer, that means it's perfect!
                      Obviously you're doing it wrong, then.

Originally posted by richb View Post
                      I try my best to break it, and have succeeded several times.
                      What he said.

Originally posted by charles052 View Post
                      What do you do when you're done? Start another distro or do you just do something non-computer related?
                      "Done"? "Non-computer related"? You aren't making any sense, dude!

Comment

Originally posted by The Title
                        Two things went thru my mind when I read this:
                        a) How in hell did you accomplish this?!?!?!
                        2) You upgrade and start over
                        I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

1. Back it up
                          2. Break it
                          Klaatu Barada Nikto

Comment

Originally posted by Buddlespit View Post
                            Two things went thru my mind when I read this:
                            a) How in hell did you accomplish this?!?!?!
                            Simple: by accepting the things that I cannot change. I'd love to be able to use the back button on my mouse to work with dolphin, but it just won't so I gave it up. Not really necessary anyways with keyboard shortcuts and such. Also, I used hardware that I was relatively certain would work with Linux. Now, when I a) upgrade my computer or b) upgrade Kubuntu, it'll be a different story.

As of now, I've got Netflix playing and I can stream movies from one system to another with samba, which works great! Flash is working too!

I don't need much else.
                            Originally posted by Buddlespit View Post
                            2) You upgrade and start over
                            Only until my LTS (12.04) has run out. Until then....
                            Last edited by charles052; Nov 27, 2013, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                              Obviously you're doing it wrong, then.

What he said.

"Done"? "Non-computer related"? You aren't making any sense, dude!
                              Now you just hush!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X