This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PCLinuxOS Makes Desktop Linux Look Good

PCLinuxOS is as close as a distro can get to masking all the technical things that scare people away from the Linux OS.
    http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/PC...ood-79418.html

I skimmed that. Only thing I can disagree with is, unless things have changed over at their forum, the "fiddling about" part the author suggests is heavily discouraged - to the point of blocking you from the forum if you even mention another distro or trying something "unsupported" (aka something Tex doesn't want you to do). I suppose one could fiddle about if you weren't going to use their forum for support.

The censorship (and angry threats) over there is what lead me to Kubuntu and KFN, so it all worked out in the end.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      I skimmed that. Only thing I can disagree with is, unless things have changed over at their forum, the "fiddling about" part the author suggests is heavily discouraged - to the point of blocking you from the forum if you even mention another distro or trying something "unsupported" (aka something Tex doesn't want you to do). I suppose one could fiddle about if you weren't going to use their forum for support.

The censorship (and angry threats) over there is what lead me to Kubuntu and KFN, so it all worked out in the end.
      +1 on that ,,,,,,,I got a post or two pushed to /dev/null over their for what seamed to me to be a perfectly reasonable question then reporting the answer I found for the question,,,,,,,very n00bish question ,,,,,,but I needed an answer!!

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I was still using PCLOS when I started experimenting with RAID. Trying to report my findings was bad enough, then I had the audacity to comment that I had been trying some other distros (Kubuntu was one) and I literally got an angry and threatening message from mod@ahole.com. Needless to say that was my last second on that forum.

Please Read Me

Comment

it seems (to me) like thay are very "appearance" conscious ,,,,,,,,,,if a post looks to n00bish,stupid,silly or contains something good about some other distro it's apt to disappear or get you a chastising.

whitch seems wrong to me as the newer you are the more help you will need and of course the n00bear you question will be

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

wow i didn't know they were even still making PCLinuxOS. only thing i see there that im not liking is RPM based, not that its bad but i have sometimes have nightmares of the RPM hell that used to happen on mandrake.
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
              wow i didn't know they were even still making PCLinuxOS. only thing i see there that im not liking is RPM based, not that its bad but i have sometimes have nightmares of the RPM hell that used to happen on mandrake.
              Which is exactly why I found Kubuntu. I came to PCLOS from Mandrake/Mandriva when I started having issues with it. Found PCLOS to be more user friendly (being very noobish at the time) and used it for a year or so. During my trials of other os's I used OpenSUSE for a few months, but in an effort to speed things up - it was miserably slow compared to PCLOS - I descended into that RPM hell you referenced - and broke it very well! I switched to Kubuntu and have vowed to stay with deb from now on.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                +1 on that ,,,,,,,I got a post or two pushed to /dev/null over their for what seamed to me to be a perfectly reasonable question then reporting the answer I found for the question,,,,,,,very n00bish question ,,,,,,but I needed an answer!!

VINNY
                +2 !
                I once question why they removed vi and it opened up a firestorm at Distrowatch, too which they created another ISO including vi.
                I wouldn't dare question them on their own turf. I have come across their tactics in the past. Never again.
                Boot Info Script

Comment

I descended into that RPM hell you referenced
                  Is that really a problem these days? DEB hell is equally easy to fall into, and some of the old utilities like dselect made this easy. Nowadays, most RPM-based distros use YUM or ZYpp for dependency resolution, which should avoid RPM hell just like APT helps us avoid DEB hell. (In fact, various claims are made about ZYpp's solver being one of the best around.)

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                    Is that really a problem these days? DEB hell is equally easy to fall into, and some of the old utilities like dselect made this easy. Nowadays, most RPM-based distros use YUM or ZYpp for dependency resolution, which should avoid RPM hell just like APT helps us avoid DEB hell. (In fact, various claims are made about ZYpp's solver being one of the best around.)
                    im sure your correct about that i have not really used an RPM based distro in a while ,i've played w/ fedora but didn't really do much package installing from what i did it seams much better then it used to be.
                    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

LO
                      I'm kind of amazed at the below posts. One reason that I am here is that i was BANNED from the forum for a post. But, apparently, according to some folks the ban was lifted.

The real problem is that I was there to PRAISE the distro in that Wal-Mart was making, AGAIN, an attempt to sell Linux based machines, and a customer had bought one online and had returned it to Wal-Mart, not because of PCLos, had not even attempted the install.

The machine was in pristine condition, and I purchased it as an "opened / returned" item for chump change.

Annnnnnd PCLos installed just fine, I just popped the cd in the tray and it did it's thing, found the net, found the printer/scanner (mine an HP of some kind) in other words I was there to PRAISE CEASAR not stab him in the back lol!

As a matter of fact, I still have the machine, what.... 8 years later.... in storage, because it is just way to slow physically, and thought I might donate it sometime, Wal-Mart did a good job with SOMEBODY at PCLos but....not either of their faults it didn't go.

woodsmoke

Comment

Well, admittedly my RPM experience is rapidly aging. The last time I attempted to actually use an RPM based distro daily was 2009. If you are correct about yum/zypp then maybe I would reconsider an RPM distro in the future. All I know for sure is I totally broke opensuse three times less than a month because of a circular dependency issue. When faced with yet another re-install, I abandoned ship!

Please Read Me

Comment

All I know for sure is I totally broke opensuse three times less than a month because of a circular dependency issue.
                          ZYpp's boolean satisfiability solver ("SAT solver") is supposed to avoid this, among other, problems.

Comment

YUM & ZYpp are pretty good ZYpp is better than yum though.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk
                            Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

I came here because I too had been down the Red Hat-Mandrake-PCLOS-(whatever)BSD-etc road. I like being here, I never look back, and I don't regret leaving that particular road. If YUM, et al, are better RPM handlers - then good for them, but I just don't care. I found the DEB-based *buntu distros to be superior, much more usable, and far more manageable; if something better comes along I might look. But KDE Kubuntu is standing out right now as the best of breed. The next step in Linux-world needs to be forward and upward. That's why the current word-wars surrounding Mir, Unity, Ubuntu, and Canonical are very interesting and indicate a definite change in the flow that is worth checking. Mir, itself, may not be the future, but the battle itself is showing an interesting direction.
                              The next brick house on the left
                              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Working...
                              X