X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winamp gone Dec 20 2013

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11..._to_disappear/

woodsmoke

Winamp was one of my favourite apps back in my Windows98/XP days. I had many skins for it ... it was ahead of its time in many ways.

I now use Audacious here in Kubuntu which is a very similar type of media player.
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

yep, back in my windblows days that was my main squeeze!

woodsmoke

Comment

The article misses some critical points. First, the RIIA is hamstringing streaming media offering music that Winamp played with copyright infringement suits and excessive per-play license fees, designed entirely to wipe out competition against its members offering such media through pay walls. Clemintine, for example, frequently pops up a "sign up, pay up" dialog. Greedy people are always putting in toll booths between our driveway and the street, even though we taxpayers paid for the street and the driveway. We can thank "Intellectual Property" for that, and bribes to Congress, who no longer supervise the USTPO.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          Clemintine, for example, frequently pops up a "sign up, pay up" dialog.
          I wonder if you have some goofy plug-in installed? Googling for "clemetine sign up pay up" revealed nothing. I am curious what you're seeing -- mind taking a screen shot next time?

Comment

It's a nag screen that pops up when you click on any but IceCast.
            Attached Files
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              It's a nag screen that pops up when you click on any but IceCast.
              you need an account to use those services ,, it's just asking you to fill in the info .

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

GreyGeek, I love Clementine!! Being that it's based on a version of Amarok that actually worked, it's stable and provides a terrific platform for playing my growing MP3 collection. I don't go out to streaming audio or radio sites much anymore - maybe around the Holidays - so I've not seen the nags. Hope I never do, either. Actually, I just went to SKY.FM, played a couple channels, and it didn't nag. So it probably (like everything else) "just depends".
                The next brick house on the left
                Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                  you need an account to use those services ,, it's just asking you to fill in the info .

VINNY
                  Last.FM requires a paid subscription to access the streams. The others in the lower left panel require a "premium" account to avoid nag messages or adverts.

Comment

I have never had a nag screen for clementine ever. Then again I never use any of the streaming services that need a login anymore, and disable unused ones.

Having said that, winamp is simply suffering the effects of every OS and device now having an included media player, and paid streaming services such as spotify becoming more popular. I quite like the Android version, actually paid for it. I will miss it, but without tears as there are so many to choose from in the mobile sphere.

Comment

Working...
                    X