Clear All

I started with KDE on peanut Linux around '01

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk
    Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Originally posted by Robtygart View Post
      Phospores, you know the stuff that made old CRT screens light up

Comment

Not so much here... linux has been a progression.

My first linux based software was SLS 0.99pl11A on a whole bunch of floppy disks in 1993 (...like 60-70 of them.) I was running a Fidonet BBS at the time and looking for better O/S software. After spending lots and lots of time loading floppies onto a spare PC I had, I made it to the SLS shell prompt. Ok pretty cool, but not to much use after that for my original purpose. Consequently I took a 'linux hiatus' for about 7 years and then picked it back up with RedHat. Then moved on to Mandrake, then Ubuntu, and finally Kubuntu.

So far, Kubuntu has been able to do everything I have wanted to do at the desktop level. I also run Ubuntu server and CentOS for server / backend applications.

cheers,
        bill
        Last edited by bweinel; Nov 18, 2013, 04:19 PM.
        sigpic
        A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. --Albert Einstein

Comment

I started with Ubuntu 8.04 and I switched to KDE after a while.
          Kubuntu 13.10 saucy 3.11.0-12-generic 64bit (el_GR.UTF-8, kde-plasma), Windows 7
          AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ ‖ RAM 1750 MiB ‖ ALiveNF6P-VSTA
          nVidia C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] [10de:03d0] {nvidia}
          eth0: nVidia MCP61 Ethernet [10de:03ef] (rev a2)

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
            Phospores, you know the stuff that made old CRT screens light up
            Ya, the monochrome monitors that used the P1 phosphors for green, the P3 for amber and the P4 for white.
            They were usually detected as VT100's and required the Hercules highres graphic drivers.
            Screen savers were creates specifically to avoid the dreded "phosphor burn" that occurred, showing up even if the monitor was off, if the same pattern was left on the monitors for any significant length of time.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I spelled "apt-get dist-upgrade" on my abacus the other day and it turned into a slide rule. Can anyone help me?

Comment

Surprise to see an ASCII compliant abacus and now slide rule.
                Using admin privileges are known to be the cause of all sorts of curious escalations.

Comment

Working...
                X