This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"You stay with what you started on".

I know.....very POOR sentence structure! and for an AINGLYSH teacher!

But, I was just at DistroWatch and saw a new, to me, distro and was reading about it and intrigued and then saw "based on Puppy".

I immediately dismissed it.

I've tried "the Puppy Way" and can see it's merits and the wonderful forum etc. but....

I just "can't get into it."

And was reminded of the often made quote to the effect of: You stay with the distro, (or probably packaging system) that you "started with" or "trained on" or "grew up on(in Linux)."

Comments, correct, incorrect, Yea, Nay,?

woodsmoke

not necessarily true. The first distro I tried was Red Hat, kept it for a while then moved to Mandrake. After an absence of 5 years I get myself another pc and then used Ubuntu as I had a copy from a magazine then used that for a couple of years. Then from last year, 2012, I switched to Debian and Manjaro. I am one Linux user who is not afraid to use any distribution.

Comment

It is fairly true for me, been KDE guy since I found a mandrake 7CD in a magazine. Then I became a single disk small distro guy..

If the statement was totally true, I'd be using haiku (beos) .

Sent from my dlx using Tapatalk

Comment

I started in linux with Mandrake 7.0 also - but on 3.5" floppies! I have bounced around distro-wise but stuck with KDE primarily. I did use E17 on a netbook for awhile. I tried Gnome for a couple weeks but couldn't stand it. The others - LXDE and ilk - I've used when necessary but prefer KDE. I did switch from RPM to DEB and really REALLY don't want to go back. Been with Kubuntu longer than any other - PCLinuxOS second. Not really looking forward to leaving Kubuntu, but will have to if it doesn't leave Canonical behind.

Please Read Me

Comment

I've used Puppy on some ancient desktops and it worked very well, much better than the Windows that was on the machine to begin with, and it was a lot faster than the gui desktops with bigger footprints in memory. Puppy, however, takes some getting used to, just like DSL (Damn Smll Linux), and the other ultra-lite Linux distros.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I stay with what I started on, *nix.

OK, there was a bit of a jump between OS-9 and Linux but the first's Umacs was not very different to the latter's Emacs on Red Hat
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS-9

And I'm still on Linux.
            Last edited by Teunis; Nov 13, 2013, 05:06 PM.

Comment

@NickStone: I was very similar (Red Hat/Mandrake) with rpm.

I never liked rpm though and years later when I tried Ubuntu 8.04 I immediately liked the .deb way of doing things. So I changed packaging systems quite happily and have gone back to KDE with Kubuntu. I much prefer the newer KDE to any version of Gnome and especially Unity!
              Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
              Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

I started with Mint + KDE, have looked at other operating systems, and I am still using KDE, so far I don't see me changing.

I do like Puppy Linux and carry it on a thumb drive. My favorite so far is "Precise", they have made a lot of improvments since "Lupu", and I think its much easier to use.
                Rob

Comment

RobtYgart! I do not know that we have exchanged phospores before! Hello!

Keep the comments comming folks!

woodsmoke

Comment

I started with Ubuntu 7.04 because it was the most popular distro at the time. I was new to Linux and didn't really know how to get things going like I did Windows so I abandoned Ubuntu and stuck with Windows. After 4 reinstalls of Windows (which continuously broke), I decided to try Ubuntu 7.10 hoping it wold be better than the last. It wasn't and I decided to give up on Linux and tried OpenSUSE. I like OpenSUSE much better than Ubuntu, but I still had a hard time with it so I went back to Windows.

I stumbled upon Kubuntu at 10.04 and thought "What the heck!" and installed it. I immediately knew this was the Linux distro for me and I never looked back. I still had problems but I stuck it out this time and either found solutions, found better programs, or learned to live without.

As of now, I can be entirely Windows free (I wish I could say the same for my wife). Everything I need I can get with Kubuntu 12.04 and most times it works better than Windows.

However, I still have Windows 7 on my laptop and am not going to change that. The installation on it just works perfectly and I'm one of those guys that believes that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Of course, i hardly ever use it except for when I'm on the road and then I usually just watch movies on it. It's nowhere near the workhorse my Linux desktop is.

Admittedly, many things do "just work" with Windows that takes a bit more setting up in Linux and I like that about Windows. What I don't like is the price and the security issues. One of the things that I love about Linux is not having to worry about a virus and such and that I can pay what I think it's worth rather than ponying up $200 for a version of Windows to get the accessibility and functions that I can get from Linux for free. I really, really hate that if you build a new computer and bought an OEM Windows disk for your last build, you have to buy a whole new Windows for your new one. I don't mind a company making money and such for their OS, but Microsoft is just too damn greedy for me.

Comment

Not really. Started with Fedora, Mandrake, then Xandros. So I am not with what i started with.
                      Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
                      Always consider Occam's Razor
                      Rich

Comment

Started with Ubuntu 6.06. Quickly switched to Kubuntu, and used it for several years.

Seriously tried: Fedora, Mepis, Arch, E-Live, sidux/aptosid.

Played a bit with: bodhi, Debian, slax, xandros.

Settled upon: aptosid, then siduction, with KDE desktop. Have been with this for ~3-4 years. No reason or desire to change.

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
                          RobtYgart! I do not know that we have exchanged phospores before! Hello!
                          Rob

Comment

Started with Kubuntu 6.06. Was told, to get started, it most closely resembled XP on the desktop. And I liked it.

Played with: Many. Years ago, in Mepis, had half-naked Beyoncé dancing on one face of a cube long before it become so fashionable to, well, play with desktop cubes. Phased through installing various Linux OSs to live flash drives using the old GRUB, the old-fashioned way: manually; did a sidex wiki how-to on it at one time.

Most impressed with: sidex (yep, that was a lower case "s"). Reason: It's slick.

Flirted with and have a lasting impression of: Puppy.

Fact is: I like straight, basic, vanilla Kubuntu. In my old age, I'm a real simple fella.

(Have gotten used to KDE 4.x and use it 95% of the time but feel guilty because I know I am using only a very small % of its power and capability. On another machine, still maintain and use daily Kubuntu 8.04.3 with KDE 3.5, but it is slowly fading.)

I am with what I started with. And hope to be, ad infinitum.
                            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

After having to do a Win95 re-installation 5 times in four months, with multiple daily crashes, it was hard making a living writing code, so I decided to return to OS/2, which I had been using to run Win3.11 FWG in its DOS box. At B&N I saw a paperback, "Learn Linux in 24 Hours" for $25. It included a free copy of RH 5.0, which I installed on May 1st, 1998. Running RH5.0 my 5 month old Sony VAIO was stable as a rock. Been running Linux every since. Switched to SuSE 5.3 in Sept of 1998 because it offered KDE 1.0 Beta, which I liked the looks of. Been using KDE every since and never had a reason to regret it. When Novell bought SuSE I switched to Mandrake. When Mandrake changed to Mandriva I switched to MEPIS. After Woodford was AWOL from MEPIS for a while I looked at LibraNet, my first Debian based distro, which I really liked, but the guy who made it died of cancer. I tried KNOPPiX, which I also liked very well, but the RPM hell thing drove me back to Mandriva, which I was running when I tried Kubuntu 9.04 Alpha, in Feb of 2009. Been with Kubuntu right up to Nov 9th, a week ago, which was when I replaced Kubuntu with KWheezy 1.3, in order to move to a distro that was based off of Debian. I am really impressed by it. It is the most fully populated distro I've run since I was running SuSE.

EDIT: I forgot to insert between KNOPPIX and Mandriva that I used PCLinuxOS for about 18 months, during the time when it was ranking #1 on Distrowatch's PHR system. I left it because when the hurricane hit Huston it destroyed TexStar's home and he took over a year's sabbatical from managing it. it took less than 6 months for petty territorial in-fighting among those in whose hands he entrusted PCLinuxOS to turn it into a bug ridden mess.
                              Last edited by GreyGeek; Nov 20, 2013, 09:27 AM.
                              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                              X