This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
    When I went shopping for an SSL certificate, the price for wildcard domain validation was two to three times as much as simple domain validation. So I bought the simple.
    Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I remembered talking about this before, so...

Recently, Google announced it will bump up sites using SSL by default in search engine results, so I'm considering getting a "proper" SSL cert signed by a widely recognised root CA so that I can go https by default.

I'm also considering configuring some kind of Jabber (+VoIP*) server for my family, and it's not feasible to root all of my family's devices and install the CAcert root certificate on them...

In your opinion, are there any companies I should avoid using?

I don't need any in-depth verification, I just need it to be installed by default on Ubuntu, Android, Windows etc. and if there are any companies with dodgy business practices like GoDaddy I'll make an effort to avoid them.

Also, it looks like wildcard certs are ten times (£55/yr vs £5/yr!) more expensive than normal ones, so I may have to do some re-configuration. It's actually cheaper to buy a second domain name and cert than it is to get a wildcard certificate and use another subdomain!

* may require a second IP address for STUN... but that's another question.
    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

I got mine from Network Solutions. It's a domain validation certificate, so the common name on it is just rileyz.net. To avoid name mismatch errors, I don't use any www or smtp or imap prefixes -- everything simply points to the domain name.

Comment

Looks like I'll have to re-organise Apache; my PTR record and mail server already use plain samhobbs.co.uk.

Don't say you told me so
        samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Any good reason I shouldn't buy through a reseller like ssls.com (namecheap)?
          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
            Don't say you told me so
            If one looks carefully, one will observe a KFN administrator, quietly and unobtrusively observing his minions as they toil to and fro. Yes, quietly and unobtrusively.

Comment

Any good reason I shouldn't buy through a reseller like ssls.com (namecheap)?
              For reasons I cannot fathom or rationally explain, buying an identity from a reseller makes me squeamish.

Comment

If one looks carefully, one will observe a KFN administrator, quietly and unobtrusively observing his minions as they toil to and fro. Yes, quietly and unobtrusively.
                That would be Snowhog, surely?

samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

For reasons I cannot fathom or rationally explain, buying an identity from a reseller makes me squeamish.
                  I thought it might. I read somewhere that some people don't like it but I couldn't put my finger on why. If the signing process required them to see your private key that would make sense (because 2 parties seeing/storing it is worse than one) but it doesn't, so I'll probably use a reseller and save some cash.
                  samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Here's something you might find interesting...I got two emails today imitating fail2ban, sent by an external email server.

Here's the source for the email:

Code:
                    Return-Path: <fail2ban at samhobs.co.uk>
                    Delivered-To: <sam at samhobbs.co.uk>
                    Received: from samhobbs.co.uk
                    	by samhobbs (Dovecot) with LMTP id kZTaOIdcSlRQZwAA+i6E6g
                    	for <sam at samhobbs.co.uk>; Fri, 24 Oct 2014 15:04:55 +0100
                    Received: by samhobbs.co.uk (Postfix, from userid 119)
                    	id E5FD2140EDB; Fri, 24 Oct 2014 15:04:55 +0100 (BST)
                    X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 3.4.0 (2014-02-07) on samhobbs
                    X-Spam-Level: *
                    X-Spam-Status: No, score=1.3 required=5.0 tests=RDNS_NONE autolearn=no
                    	autolearn_force=no version=3.4.0
                    Received: from marinescus.ro (unknown [92.86.115.232])
                    	by samhobbs.co.uk (Postfix) with ESMTP id 9EC3E1403CD
                    	for <root at samhobbs.co.uk>; Fri, 24 Oct 2014 15:04:55 +0100 (BST)
                    Received: by marinescus.ro (Postfix, from userid 0)
                    	id 15DD5C11A4; Fri, 24 Oct 2014 17:01:02 +0300 (EEST)
                    Subject: [Fail2Ban] Apache-301-DoS: started
                    Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 14:01:01 +0000
                    To: root at samhobbs.co.uk
                    Message-Id: <20141024140444.15DD5C11A4@marinescus.ro>

Hi,

The jail Apache-301-DoS has been started successfully.

Regards,

Fail2Ban
                    This had me puzzled for a while before I realised what had happened. First thing I noticed/checked is that fail2ban hadn't actually restarted.

Then I noticed the incorrect spelling of my domain name "samhobs.co.uk" - this is an error in the action definition for a custom Fail2ban jail I wrote (specifically, the error was in "sender" for the sendmail-whois action, but the destination was spelled correctly). The error must have been copied and pasted from my tutorial into this person's configuration, they didn't change the details so that they are relevant to their domain, and now they send emails to my root user when they restart the jail.

It occurs to me that if you wanted to mess with someone this might be a good way to go about it, at a glance the email looked plausible.
                    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Yeah, that's interesting. I'd recommend changing your tutorial to use a generic domain. example.com | .net | .org are reserved for this purpose. See RFC 2606.

Comment

Yep, I think I'll do that. To date, I think I've done it about half of the time, apparently it's not uncommon to just copy and paste stuff straight over.
                        samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

apparently it's not uncommon to just copy and paste stuff straight over.
                          Laziness is not uncommon, alas.

Comment

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have just this moment received a spam e-mail from some "barrister" in Malaysia.
                            Code:
                            Return-Path: chamber_lewfirm@yahoo.com.my
                            Received: from nm19-vm6.bullet.mail.sg3.yahoo.com ([106.10.149.117]) by
                             mx-ha.gmx.net (mxgmxus003) with ESMTPS (Nemesis) id 0MOfTs-1YLNX22C86-00641k
                             for <davidharrison45@gmx.com>; Sat, 31 Jan 2015 14:07:47 +0100
                            DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.com.my; s=s2048; t=1422709663; bh=EBzqNontsKdsiNC7hKYkXpZst6ZZ2wP95DoII9jxOO0=; h=Date:From:Reply-To:To:Subject:From:Subject; b=IHKi42GRbkQtFAK1fqllgLwu8XAtIC8n/4umSa30Dbkp3nLG2d5Bs5k+n2RAKLQTGnt4D45hneOlf2mla0WlGLNCM3AiMB03GYTYivAtgpTyg5cRytGJZ1Eqka4CSaFSljTh2hj4m5b65JWnyvugYYtxUvtk0he6fUxxm19Wz+riru3r/wxojSyoc15lF9Fy+QTWbFWkBqLjhUFGPkZHy/J9MS39hxYyiM2dQpbVY654oVdLvmSw647vHTw32WBWxQUKsTKR4VA55jeOLgy3p5Rc+0C5L4tYV25Wbcm7gj+cqJUn6XduPkSmICDDoEqwQkHyxPlocrh6prRiZ4H8Bg==
                            Received: from [106.10.166.127] by nm19.bullet.mail.sg3.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 31 Jan 2015 13:07:43 -0000
                            Received: from [106.10.150.23] by tm16.bullet.mail.sg3.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 31 Jan 2015 13:07:43 -0000
                            Received: from [127.0.0.1] by omp1024.mail.sg3.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 31 Jan 2015 13:07:43 -0000
                            X-Yahoo-Newman-Property: ymail-3
                            X-Yahoo-Newman-Id: 376792.92675.bm@omp1024.mail.sg3.yahoo.com
                            X-YMail-OSG: M3F7G.sVM1nqWX_8OARRbxYAP9IEe7r7JdlCaINhPvh7TIZg4wf_BWOJ2svf1eD
                             wpRFUusSyFvp3auA9sAxGbG_AUEYBtPra5nfVvXAXm3TDqwpU4Fsqy5bry6cFcijdQrtYBg9HvgG
                             Vyhlk8qRwmKlcRvsDzwGpSrmtyAVHWsRNcAkE1jL.nB.MSfXtUf.DIebVK.BZhgDR523qA_GpN1A
                             H8CjGVVAwBae_3foZX9GJSyP.1QkQv2anWOf86.Qv8F_UJufLWdx9tKzBzhalyZiYiXdYsuBn7H3
                             n70PYTivqpmfFwfffcWfYJ1_2I2C.o.7xpVqP_._XvWBqu47v6RDwbvIsqmu0TWLGmr2eYZ0mPPw
                             lS2QAETHPc60J6o.9jaOm8vkBR8vEDr8FEgwiO2g.KD4hqH81RDp3ZyR_Azkv1tEbh13Q1zzspoo
                             O7u95xqcmzeyuY2Md9b1n5Z6foZ.u5CjHhDiaDwlN6xlzawM.jF5mzSaQCiOW2nA1aS4-
                            Received: by 106.10.196.94; Sat, 31 Jan 2015 13:07:42 +0000 
                            Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 13:07:42 +0000 (UTC)
                            From: Barrister Zarinah Binti Ghazali <chamber_lewfirm@yahoo.com.my>
                            Reply-To: 
                            	Barrister Zarinah Binti Ghazali <barristerzarinah.ghazali@yandex.com>
                            To: "davidharrison45@gmx.com" <davidharrison45@gmx.com>
                            Message-ID: <59076231.142009.1422709662539.JavaMail.yahoo@mail.yahoo.com>
                            Subject: Attention.......David Harrison
                            MIME-Version: 1.0
                            Content-Type: multipart/alternative; 
                            	boundary="----=_Part_142008_810138120.1422709662536"
                            Content-Length: 5510
                            Envelope-To: <davidharrison45@gmx.com>
                            X-GMX-Antispam: 0 (Mail was not recognized as spam); Detail=V3;
                            X-GMX-Antivirus: 0 (no virus found)
                            X-UI-Filterresults: notjunk:1;V01:K0:C0/RuU652HE=:1vSpJNdC8dilnZTKb5/EvMFiXm
                             Hvdg7EuVgfCZpJADKXkfx2XkXYKMUU7EjekOpMcsxTmQmYiCX+pLIKQKy0ezeCmf8gAs7xYic
                             eukdR/x3monltTZ1WRsMTPWJRyoGxWlOume1cLoPTWAZd8OBnrrNq6qcr0nBYlLh/DeOy8eAu
                             lEIbKJRB/CF6VsBS5AXkOdUnqbqm4N+tZfpU6UJZKX6a9EQt0G8aXH+M8bBbtKgJ3dUOOu3WZ
                             j1BsPNSbq5C85muA2CeLHSrY7P5N9EoJ948Kw8rUYplu1CURL0xquj29uv5cJp6xpOrtYbVMI
                             XvXqPpv9Fa1K84CgcvNWdneFYEsnMGvms+3BBJExxpHo6lplcXjodPAtsvO8vP2Gc3hFhvK3m
                             wPKLd7gQGcsLd7jUYKhXgFnjwf/o4/S5z5SlBN3jHBuGCALgEwp35avZYN4wXFO4xcgflzEav
                             foRT3Iv6yFHXE36vXRjKpTw2Y3dvigLctx0xj4OnMONU8QltUEEj+dyf5faOYDWPinWq96K4A
                             2x6eafzFekz+8jeJbm62lC7dNniAu/DpcpsmmL1JMPJPyhiZgfzFFO9dRL40teWv1LWR0qvOh
                             efb3wxv1aq5TQUUbYSnEPuatVhCa8Os1mULrdCNlFN9gSQjnPv1XhB6zqkIBVKyqEjOFw9A5W
                             4ixjoKslztt2Dcw8BRpivMpesBlfvRbmrOMzBOcS5cQPNLiCE2Wo0gI3AKTCHPArULY2ggS+s
                             ChUl55sHeF2toCitc0EXXOIDSj0zquOuYSHGp1O2BWLCR/WU4s2aIl1i5N5EbvrWlFZgsrkXb
                             M4WmrDHhjT/vLQDhdYJI+PrqBN54e2BfbbwNj8L8QDYYYscz4Pb22X6LEV3xfZf4ctK+zvgK8
                             ZnIQCeZj9hucDLM3iYtDPaEt+TRx753u6Gca9Ju1omHZtIcDzdPKKBs57FN59OyZzL17On1fL
                             aq2WH0HNmAoF8MtOD3ApCmwcLR04/h3Ih7fAcSYEsjcF/ItiCRlZnJ19rORGyUwqtahAK/24J
                             9oAKCkhW4iT4FQJard4ncNxYcasH3ohxt/lQ7E3AY41mOF6UMp43t7MvuD55xvdLQhejxozYF
                             4Et/ZL8IsylLCSLyLSbz/U3TjvOKx5OOa2+YHkdkh0yE0R+8TOAE6dMcCLMabs0BwWnPSz+So
                             kJsXhaal+3IeuwUeSMuvgkCB0o8/Tqfeqqq9GpXWSHr/6nGQpadri8uRaHGln3zydFZNnidRa
                             ilcyjaZ6YdBJf3izPNpyrflMR1PfLWzvN2lkHSO+j7gRYv5dhEcqLGqQu0wPxU7xeS+ECGbFS
                             e3LiE21bgLGIVRqcIJJytwqrsw==

------=_Part_142008_810138120.1422709662536
                            Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
                            Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
                            Content of the e-mail is
                            Code:

No. 3 (1st Floor) Jalan
                            Kemajuan Batu Gajah Seremban
                            Kuala Lumpur Malaysia.

Dear David Harrison.

My name is Mrs. Zarinah Binti Ghazali, a legal practitioner with Bh Koh, Soong, Zarin & Partners. No. 3 1st Floor Jalan Kemajuan Batu Gajah Seremban Kuala Lumpur Malaysia.

I saw your contact and profile and decided that you could cooperate with me in this proposition.

I have a client by Name Mr. Abdul Albert Harrison, who was deceased in November, 2012, in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I am contacting you because you have the same surname as my deceased client and I felt that you could help me in the distribution of funding that were left in my deceased client's bank account. This funding is closed to be declared UN-serviceable by the bank as there were no indicated next of kin or next of beneficiary of the funding in the bank account.

The total amount of cash in the bank account of my deceased client is US$ 12.5 Million (Say, Twelve Million, Five Hundred Thousand United States dollars) The bank had issued to me a notification to contact the next of kin of my deceased client for either to re-activate the bank account or to make claim of beneficiary of the funding in the bank account, with a month surcharge of 6% to be deducted as an Escrow safe keeping fee of the bank account, so as to avoid the indefinite closure of the bank account. My proposition to you is to seek your consent, and to present your kind self as the next-of-kin and beneficiary of my deceased client since you have the same last name with him.

This means that the proceeds of his bank account would be paid to you as his next of kin or the legitimate beneficiary. When the proceeds in his bank account are paid to you, we would share the proceeds on a mutually agreed-upon percentage of 55% to me and 45% to your kind self. All the legal documents to back up your claim as my client's next-of-kin would be provided from high court of Selangor Malaysia. The most important thing I would need is your honest co-operation in this proposition. This would be done under a legitimate arrangement that would protect you from any breach of the law.

Contact me at once if you are interested, reply through my Personal email (barristerzarinah.ghazali@yandex.com)

Regards,
                            Barrister Zarinah Binti Ghazali.
                            Even if it is genuine, which it isn't, then this "law professional" is trying to encourage me to break the law by fraudulently claiming that I am the next of kin.

The sad fact is though that some people will be gullible enough to fall for this type of scam.

Comment

What? Dude, you're gonna be RICH!

Woohoo - new 'puters for everyone!

Please Read Me

Comment

I've been getting some interesting ones recently, including "how to get pregnant just by reading this email", which would be quite impressive really.
                                samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X