Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installed my 1st program using a .tar.gz file!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed my 1st program using a .tar.gz file!!

There are just some programs you just can't live without and you got to have it one way or the other. Dvdstyler is one of those programs for me. I love it! Unfortunately, when I did a fresh install of 12.04 in my old computer which I had just put in a new SSD, it simply did not work anymore. It kept crashing. So, I looked into it. The repositories have Dvdstyler 2.1 and the program itself is up to 2.5.2 on it's website. So I downloaded it.... and saw it was a .tar.gz file... and then I went... "oh, crap!"

I'm not a Linux buff. Hardly ever have I bothered to stray beyond the simplest of terminal commands and I strive to install programs either with Synaptic or very simple tutorials where I simply copy and paste said commands. I like Linux, namely Kubuntu, because of it's very stable once you get the bugs out. I can leave my computer alone for days, weeks, months at a time and come back and it'll still works just as good as the day I left, no reboot needed.

Soooo... crap! I was now treading on unfamiliar ground. I don't like unfamiliar ground. You can step into a hole and break an ankle on unfamiliar ground. But alas, I had to have Dvdstyler, so onward I went.

First thing I did was, of course, look up a tutorial. I changed directory of the terminal to the folder containing the extracted contents of the .tar.gz fie, ran "./configure", and.....

... "crap!"

Something about something not being met or some sort of thing. I had no idea. The Terminal said "Stop" or (I forgot exactly what it said). Again, I had no idea. Back to the google I went, looking up the key phrase which killed my "./configure". Come to find out, I didn't have the necessary dependencies installed. I needed something called "Cairo" or whatnot. Of course, this was not to install Dvdstyler, but "wxyzt" or whatever, another dependency of Dvdstyler. Come to find out, "./configure" will tell you what dependencies you lack and then stop. All I had to do as install the dependencies as I went. Once you've installed all the dependencies, "./configure" will finish and make the necessary files.

And so, after googling, downloading some .dev files, installing via synaptic some of the dependencies... finally.... yes!!!... finally!!!.. I typed in "make" and some really funky stuff started to happen. Turns out, that funky stuff was good stuff. All sorts of gibberish I had no hope of understanding was running across my terminal screen! Kinda cool. And, after it was done, I typed "sudo make install" and soon, I had installed everything.

I immediately opened Dvdstyler via terminal and started my project.... and it died while trying to make the menu. Crap!!!!! Turns out, there's a bug in my install, but it's easily fixed by putting in a audio file in the menu. After that, it worked like a charm. Thus, my odyssey with the .tar.gz files was over and Dvdstyler now works like a charm.

Yes, I'm now just a little bit smarter than I was a few days ago. I'm sure I can handle just about anything.....

... oh, crap!!!
    Last edited by charles052; Nov 04, 2013, 11:47 PM.

Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Don't delete the file and software from which you installed your tar file. The step involving "sudo make install" causes the make comand to use the file "Makefile" install stanzas to install the parts of the app into the various files. In many MakeFiles there is also an "uninstall" stanza which deletes those files. If your Makefile has an "uninstall" stanza you can run "sudo make uninstall" to remove the app. If it doesn't have the "uninstall" stanzas, or you have deleted the installation files/directorries, you will have to remove each file manually, after you locate them.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        Don't delete the file and software from which you installed your tar file. The step involving "sudo make install" causes the make comand to use the file "Makefile" install stanzas to install the parts of the app into the various files. In many MakeFiles there is also an "uninstall" stanza which deletes those files. If your Makefile has an "uninstall" stanza you can run "sudo make uninstall" to remove the app. If it doesn't have the "uninstall" stanzas, or you have deleted the installation files/directorries, you will have to remove each file manually, after you locate them.
        and this is why I like "sudo checkinstall" instaed of "make install" .

checkinstall makes and installs a .deb so it can be removed with a package manager .........

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Great advice, VINNY!
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
            and this is why I like "sudo checkinstall" instaed of "make install" .

checkinstall makes and installs a .deb so it can be removed with a package manager .........

VINNY
            See! I didn't know any of that. I wished I used checkinstall now, but I still have all the files intact and they're safe where they are. It's not a problem to go back and "make uninstall"

Kinda sad since I've been messing with Ubuntu and other linux distros since 2007. But hey, I'm a Jack of most trades and a master of one. Now, if I can only figure out how to replace my outer door handle on my Chevy Silverado truck. Dang thing has power windows and the manufacturers make it plenty hard for average joes like me to mess around in there.

Many thanks for the advice guys!!!

Comment

Welcome to the world of compiling from source code! Your next adventure: compile all of KDE from scratch.

checkinstall is indeed a very handy tool; alas, I hardly ever see it included in how-to guides.

Originally posted by charles052 View Post
              Now, if I can only figure out how to replace my outer door handle on my Chevy Silverado truck. Dang thing has power windows and the manufacturers make it plenty hard for average joes like me to mess around in there.
              Code:
              sudo apt-get install --reinstall --with-window-assist --target-release=Silverado exterior-door-handle

Comment

:ROFL:
                I didn't realize that apt-get was that powerful. I'm going to fix the scratches on the side panels of my Saturn SL2!
                Last edited by GreyGeek; Nov 06, 2013, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                  Welcome to the world of compiling from source code! Your next adventure: compile all of KDE from scratch.

checkinstall is indeed a very handy tool; alas, I hardly ever see it included in how-to guides.
                  KDE from scratch!!! Yikes!!!

As for checkinstall, perhaps next time. I have 2 different downloads directories, one on my primary OS drive and the other on my 2nd storage drive. I hardly ever mess with my OS drive so the files are safe in there and it's a very simple matter to cd and uninstall via terminal. Heck, it might even be easier to do so.

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                  Code:
                  sudo apt-get install --reinstall --with-window-assist --target-release=Silverado exterior-door-handle
                  :ROFL:
                  I didn't realize that apt-get was that powerful. I'm going to fix the scratches on the side panels of my Saturn SL2!
                  :lol: Heck, I gotta rear differential on a 1972 Opel gt that needs rebuilding too!!! But I just can't seem to get the USB to plug in.... dang legacy hardware!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X