This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mozilla's "Lightbeam" and the Kubuntu Forum

I read about a tool Mozilla developed, "Lightbeam", which gives a graphical indication of all your current browsing connections. It is available through the addons page.
    I currently have only two tabs, one showing the Kubuntuform and one showing the Lightbeam graphical display results. The big collections of flowers is the 8 sites I visited before and the one lone icon to the lower right is the Kubuntu forum. It shows only ONE "third pary" connection, which is a tool the forum uses. There are no other links. Here is the graph:
    Attached Files
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Opps! I wrote a tad too soon. Besides the "tapatalk.com" link another one appeared: skimresources.com.

Even though the google, drudge, cbs, fox, dailycaller and other sites are no longer associated with any browser tab they remain connected. The purple lines are the tracking cookies, and I have "no tracking" set.

What I need now is a tool that I can use to right click on a connection and break its "ESTABLISHED" link, which you can see by using "netstat -ap" in a Konsole.

DATA GATHERED SINCE Oct 25, 2013
    YOU HAVE VISITED 8 SITES
    YOU HAVE CONNECTED WITH 166 THIRD PARTY SITES
    EDIT: While watching the graph and being connected to Kubuntuforums only, it took about 10-15 minutes for the "ESTABLISHED" connections to break. Now, only my IPv6 tunnel, Kubuntuforums, dropbox, my IP Address widget and ubuntuone are showing established connections.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Oct 25, 2013, 10:11 AM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Have you tried Ghostry?

Comment

Nope. Does it have a disconnect feature for tracking cookies?

Comment

Im not exatly sure what it does, but it allows you to select which sites interact with the sites you visit.

How about just not accepting cookies?

Comment

Ghostery should delete Flash cookies..

My favore for cookies is "Cookie Whitelist" https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...-with-buttons/
            Rob

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              Opps! I wrote a tad too soon. Besides the "tapatalk.com" link another one appeared: skimresources.com.
              We show SkimLinks to non-registered visitors as a means to generate a bit of revenue. I haven't examined the plugin to see what it does when users are logged in.

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              Even though the google, drudge, cbs, fox, dailycaller and other sites are no longer associated with any browser tab they remain connected. The purple lines are the tracking cookies, and I have "no tracking" set.
              Third party sites are not legally bound to honor this setting.

Comment

I've been using Ghostery for over a year and it lists quite a few 3rd party stuff that's being blocked.
                I just installed this Lightbeam and it kind of confirms there are very few 3rd party sites getting through.

Comment

I think the problem is that you guys are accepting cookies from all these sites. What are your cookie settings like?

Comment

I refuse nearly all 3rd party cookies and only allow session cookies.
                    The exception is Slashdot, I don't want to cut into their income.

Besides, the smart ones can track me based on my browser finger print, mine is unique on a 1 in 3.5 million base...
                    https://panopticlick.eff.org/https:/...m-panopticlick

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                      I refuse nearly all 3rd party cookies and only allow session cookies.
                      The exception is Slashdot, I don't want to cut into their income.

Besides, the smart ones can track me based on my browser finger print, mine is unique on a 1 in 3.5 million base...
                      https://panopticlick.eff.org/https:/...m-panopticlick
                      That site is down, but investigating the EFF site which developed it I learned that it uses your font collection, primarily. If you run a stock browser on a stock Linux distro you won't stand out. Or, with some appropriate plugins you can make a Linux box running FireFox look like a Windows box using ELink.

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
                        Have you tried Ghostry?
                        I hadn't heard of it before you mentioned it. I installed it and works like a charm! Lightbeam sees only one or two where it used to see 168 links.

Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

Working...
                        X