X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

isoHunt closed and fined $110M

Story here.

Now all they have to do is go after Asia and the Orient, lol, but that won't happen, too hard to chase ghosts that don't have the same level of legal recourse. The MPAA just lost all those movie makers a customer. The biggest mistake this guy made, not basing his operation in an untouchable country like Tonga.
    Last edited by tek_heretik; Oct 20, 2013, 08:34 AM. Reason: Added link and smiley

Just checked, can still access IsoHunt in the UK.

Have they just ordered ISPs to block it in Canada?

Would be a shame if we lost it, it's one of the best torrent search engines, very reliable when it comes to user feedback.

Feathers
    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
      Just checked, can still access IsoHunt in the UK.

Have they just ordered ISPs to block it in Canada?

Would be a shame if we lost it, it's one of the best torrent search engines, very reliable when it comes to user feedback.

Feathers
      I'm not sure, but AFAIAC, if a website blatantly displays a disclaimer regarding what users post/display/link, etc, then I am having difficulty with this legally. This is a case of shut down the 'hub' instead of the expense of individual prosecution.

Comment

And, being the tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy theorist I am (lol), I would bet that M$ secretly gave the MPAA legal team some financial assistance.

Comment

Just a question, don"t they have a responsibility to filter the content on their site by reviewing uploads? Many sites do this.
          Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
          Always consider Occam's Razor
          Rich

Comment

Originally posted by richb View Post
            Just a question, don"t they have a responsibility to filter the content on their site by reviewing uploads? Many sites do this.
            Considering the volume, wouldn't that be a difficult task? Corporations have sweeping disclaimers, I guess file sharers are toast. The authorities hate peer to peer, direct download from websites died long ago.

Comment

ISOHunt is a huge torrent site. Some folks are endeavoring to save and archive the data before it is all gone. If they succeed, they will create possibly the largest torrent yet at 3 TB.
              Linux User #454271

Comment

ISOhunt is just one of literally hundreds of torrent sites. This "victory" for copy right laws is one grain of sand in the Sahara.

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
                  Considering the volume, wouldn't that be a difficult task? Corporations have sweeping disclaimers, I guess file sharers are toast. The authorities hate peer to peer, direct download from websites died long ago.
                  I would imagine that to be true. But in itself does not abrogate their responsibility.
                  Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
                  Always consider Occam's Razor
                  Rich

Comment

https://torrentfreak.com/isohunt-shu...p-plan-131021/

Looks like the archiving plan failed.

Back to the Pirate Bay, even for legitimate torrents! What a joke.

Feathers
                    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
                      https://torrentfreak.com/isohunt-shu...p-plan-131021/

Looks like the archiving plan failed.

Back to the Pirate Bay, even for legitimate torrents! What a joke.

Feathers
                      Or here, that's where I go, not too bad, works for me.

Comment

Thanks, I'll check it out.
                        samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Was one of my faves as a kid. Love all Wallace's inventions!
                          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

1. I'm still of the opinion that targeting torrent search sites is legally questionable. These sites do not host content; only pointers.

2. The notion that Microsoft (not M$, not Microsith, not Micro$oft, not Microshaft, nor any of those other juvenile names) funds the MPAA is preposterous. In fact, the MPAA claims Microsoft and others aren't doing enough.

3. Please don't discuss illegal activities (which amounts to statements about downloading copyrighted material) on KFN. Thread closed.

Comment

Working...
                            X