This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Android / Cyanogenmod Tethering

I haven't had a reason to connect my N7 to my computer for quite some time, but did it yesterday to push a GPG key to use with APG & K9 Mail.

I discovered Cyanogenmod now has a tethering button that comes up in the quick settings panel. One curious click and I was connected to my home WiFi through the tablet.

I'm very impressed! Not sure how new this is, or whether it's CyanogenMod specific, but it worked flawlessly. No configuration required on the Kubuntu side of things at all.

Thought I'd mention it, just in case it could be useful to anyone else.

Feathers
    samhobbs.co.uk

Nice!

Often for some phones, one has to have a particular version of a particular wifi tether app, even needing particular settings for it to work lol. heck, until fairly recently carriers would block (or try to) tethering unless you paid for their package for it.

Comment

Yeah, that was what made me think it might be a CM only thing - I can see some carriers objecting to Google putting it in stock Android.

Feathers
      samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Our Sprint Galaxy S3's have tethering. My wife uses it at her work to connect her laptop to the internet
        I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Cool,

When you connect it to your laptop, does a tethering tile/icon appear in your quick settings panel? Trying to work out if it's the same feature, or another program that Samsung added that does the same thing.

Feathers
          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

No, she has to go into System Settings-->More Settings--Tethering and choose between USB and Bluetooth tethering.
            I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Do you know which version of Android is on the phone?
              samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

4.1. Sprint is going to skip 4.2 and go straight to 4.3

Comment

Working...
                X