This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the old (original) Blue iMac!
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS Linux Sig | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Comment

Originally posted by dragonbite View Post
      I like the old (original) Blue iMac!
      Is that blue slime rather than pink slime. Sorry, whenever I see Mac I think of the golden arches.
      Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
      Always consider Occam's Razor
      Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
        .... Sound fair?

Feathers
        Not really. Sounds more like Leftist talkback myths.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          Sounds more like Leftist talkback myths.
          What exactly do you mean by "leftist talkback myths"? :what:
          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Oh boy, Here we go!
            Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
            Rich

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              If you actually look at it, you can see why some would think so, with a little nudge from certain places a bit to the other end of the spectrum.

But the reality is that there are definite "communist" roots, or rather anarchist perhaps, in the narrow scope of software.
              On the contrary, I don't believe there is a shred of communism in Linux. It's actually much, much closer to Christianity. People joining a community and many offer financial assistance (like a church). And if someone has a problem, members are all too happy to help them out, just like in a church.

Of course, a church is not the only appropriate analogy for Linux, you can can include a volunteer fire department, PTA, etc... any group or community that donates their time, money, and cares for others is an appropriate analogy for Linux, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by charles052 View Post
                On the contrary, I don't believe there is a shred of communism in Linux. It's actually much, much closer to Christianity. People joining a community and many offer financial assistance (like a church). And if someone has a problem, members are all too happy to help them out, just like in a church.

Of course, a church is not the only appropriate analogy for Linux, you can can include a volunteer fire department, PTA, etc... any group or community that donates their time, money, and cares for others is an appropriate analogy for Linux, IMO.
                That's a pretty good comparison. There's some overlap, though of course Linux is just software, not a religion. About the whole communist thing, communism is difficult to define. If you define it as what Stalin did in the USSR, then obviously Linux isn't even remotely like that. If you define it by the original ideals of everything community owned and everyone working for the good of society as a whole (a system that really has never been used and likely can't be) then there are some similarities. There's some overlap, but they're not one and the same.

It's entirely possible for someone who's totally right wing to just be sick and tired of Windows viruses, eternal updates, high-maintenance, etc., and so he installs Linux to solve a problem, never planning to get involved in the community at all. And that's perfectly fine. Then there are others who get into the movement and open up some source code and make improvements, thus volunteering labor for the good of others.
                Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
                ================================

Comment

An alternate view, To me it is just software. No comparisons needed. If you like it use it.
                  Rich

Comment

Originally posted by richb View Post
                    An alternate view, To me it is just software. No comparisons needed. If you like it use it.
                    +1!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_ZeCat View Post
                      That's a pretty good comparison. There's some overlap, though of course Linux is just software, not a religion. About the whole communist thing, communism is difficult to define. If you define it as what Stalin did in the USSR, then obviously Linux isn't even remotely like that. If you define it by the original ideals of everything community owned and everyone working for the good of society as a whole (a system that really has never been used and likely can't be) then there are some similarities. There's some overlap, but they're not one and the same.

It's entirely possible for someone who's totally right wing to just be sick and tired of Windows viruses, eternal updates, high-maintenance, etc., and so he installs Linux to solve a problem, never planning to get involved in the community at all. And that's perfectly fine. Then there are others who get into the movement and open up some source code and make improvements, thus volunteering labor for the good of others.
                      I totally agree. I was speaking of the community spirit rather than the religious aspect of it. It's just something that draws people in and inspires them to help one another. Which is why I tried to include other examples other than Christianity.

Comment

Exactly!
                        1+
                        sigpic

Comment

Oh boy, Here we go!
                          On a two-month-old thread, no less!

Comment

Originally posted by charles052 View Post
                            The early church practiced communism, see Acts 2:42-45.

And the Linux distribution (well, most of its parts) that we all know and love here on this forum is financed by a dictator.

Comment

The thread started out discussing someone else's comparisons, though! Something must have made them make it, even if they were just trolling.
                              samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

True, but I was just giving my view of the discussion.
                                Rich

Comment

Working...
                                X