This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boot times - SSD's ROCK!

I rarely shut down or reboot my system and when I do, I don't sit and watch it. Today, I did a power off reboot and roughly timed it (analog watch) just for kicks.

My BIOS has a built-in pause after detecting IDE devices (dvd-rom) and detects and does a SMART check of the four SATA drives. Plus, I have several installs on my system so I use a dedicated GRUB install to make grub updating easier (details are posted elsewhere). The defaults lead the computer to my main install.

So, BIOS wait and two GRUB waits until the real business of booting begins.

Time table:

14:37 - pushed power button
    15:08 - BIOS finished and 1st GRUB begins
    15:17 - 1st GRUB hands off to 2nd GRUB
    15:46 - Login screen presented

1 minute, 9 seconds. Not too shabby considering all the overhead. Presumably with no IDE drive and only a single install and GRUB menu suppressed I could get to login in 25 seconds give-or-take. I swear it took around 3.5 minutes prior to the SSD and without the dual GRUB setup.

Please Read Me

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
    Presumably with no IDE drive and only a single install and GRUB menu suppressed I could get to login in 25 seconds give-or-take.
    I timed the login to my Kubuntu 12.04.3 from power on to login screen -- 33 seconds.

EDIT: Correction -- 16 seconds to the login screen, 17 more seconds to a working KDE desktop.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Oct 04, 2013, 10:22 AM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

They are really awsome when it comes to bootup times
      I have one installed in my Toshiba i5 laptop and my iMac desktop with a very modest Core2duo prosessor and Kubuntu only, and both bootup times are just phenomenal.
      And with upgrades, once it downloaded all its stuff, just races through the installation of it.
      At work, where i am still stuck with XP, and booting over a network, 10 minutes is no exeption between turning it on and having a usefull desktop.
      sigpic

Comment

I must confess that I do not have such an elaborate system. My Laptop is an ASUS R501VM Core i7 3610QM and I have a Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD with Kubuntu 13.10 installed. Using my stopwatch I found it difficult to get accurate times, so my approximate times are:

7.6s - Power On to Grub Menu for Selecting Kubuntu etc.
        5.5s - Enter to Select Kubuntu and then Login Screen,
        7s - Very Approximate time from Login to Functional Desktop

When I boot my system in front of M$ devotees, I say nothing and hope they notice the speed to boot.

Edit:
        After whatthefunk gave his time, I was challenged to measure power on to login screen and kept hitting enter to skip the grub menu. I was about 10s for this case with some times measured at 9.5s.

My power off time is about 13s! I sometimes wonder if my NFS connections are resposible for the extra time.

It is great to see all the fast times with 13.10 .
        Last edited by NoWorries; Oct 04, 2013, 06:05 PM.

Comment

About 9s from power on to login screen.

Comment

My little HP 110 Mini and my wife's Dell Vostro are desktop in 14-17 secs and off in as little as 8.

My Dell "Powerhouse" laptop with XP is about 8 minutes to log in screen. I have powered up the XP Dell, then powered up the linux Dell, log into the linux Dell, checked something, logged off and powered down the Linux Dell and STILL didn't have a log in available yet on the XP Dell!

Please Read Me

Comment

Pah, you think that's fast, you should see my PC boot (read sig').

Comment

Originally posted by GerardV View Post
                At work, where i am still stuck with XP, and booting over a network, 10 minutes is no exeption between turning it on and having a usefull desktop.
                Really? You have to boot the OS over the network?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                  It appears so, Steve. It wil not boot without a network connection, although it looks that XP is installed locally.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                    I don't understand why this surprises you so much Steve, that's actually fairly common, they probably do it for a number of reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
                      Pah, you think that's fast, you should see my PC boot (read sig').
                      Ah, Gerbil power! Those little rascals are FAST!
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

MontaVista Achieves Ultra-fast One Second Linux Boot Time in Embedded Industrial Applications

Yes, from 2009. Yes, not for practical 'every man' Linux. But still...
                        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hmm, the companies I know that run via the net use a local OS and a remote desktop.
                          Still slow as hell and extremely frustrating if on a bad link.

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
                            I don't understand why this surprises you so much Steve, that's actually fairly common, they probably do it for a number of reasons.
                            XP was never designed for booting over a network, where the OS binaries stream from a central location into a desktop terminal each time the terminal is switched on. Note this is not the same as running a remote session, like over VNC or a Terminal Server.

But GerardV wrote that XP appears installed locally, but won't boot without a network connection. My guess: poorly-configured roaming profiles combined with a slow LAN. I've seen this a zillion times.

Comment

Working...
                            X