Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess any case with GPS built in has to be able to connect to the internet for the maps (unless they're stored locally but you'd still need to update them).

Yeah, we'll definitely be seeing that in a few films soon!
    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

IIRC, the USS Yorktown suffered total computer system failure while on a fire exercise. The NT server chain, four deep, ALL crashed, leaving the ship without helm or weapons fire control. It had to be towed back to the shipyard because they couldn't get the system rebooted.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
        Imagine, for a moment, that cars could dock with netbooks running Windows. Nobody patches Winodws! OMFG! With that Typhoid Mary of an OS controlling zillions of cars, it'll be CARnage (yuk yuk) on the highways! So, instead, $CAR-MFGR only docks with netbooks running Linux. Linux is much less of an attacker target. Ah, now we can relax.

Shall we rephrase the above?

Imagine, for a moment, that cars could dock with phones running Android. Nobody patches Android! OMFG! With that Typhoid Mary of a mobile OS controlling zillions of cars, it'll be CARnage (yuk yuk) on the highways! So, instead, $CAR-MFGR only docks with phones running Windows. Malware on Windows phones is practically nonexistent. Ah, now we can relax.

Just goes to show that if there is a will, there is a way. The only operating system that is secure is the one that never sees a network or can be interfaced with. Some just seem to be more vulnerable than others or are bigger targets.
        BSIT Software Engineering
        " All the best people I know use Linux "

Comment

More vulnerable / bigger targets ...and they have a different userbase.

To be fair to other OSes, since computers don't come pre-loaded with Ubuntu (apart from System 76, but you still have to go out of your way to buy one of those), it's fair to say that everyone using GNU/Linux has actively chosen to use it, and is therefore pretty keen to learn the do's and don'ts.

I have yet to meet anyone using GNU/Linux who sees their computer as just a tool to get stuff done, and not an interesting toy to tinker with too

Communities like this one are much less vulnerable "click any pop-up without reading it" malware.

Feathers
          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post

To be fair to other OSes, since computers don't come pre-loaded with Ubuntu (apart from System 76, but you still have to go out of your way to buy one of those), it's fair to say that everyone using GNU/Linux has actively chosen to use it, and is therefore pretty keen to learn the do's and don'ts.

I have yet to meet anyone using GNU/Linux who sees their computer as just a tool to get stuff done, and not an interesting toy to tinker with too

Feathers
            Agreed.

However, I do look forward to the day (and being a part of) the movement to change the options for people to be able to go to their local supplier and have the choice between Ubuntu sitting next to the other on the same shelf. I believe it can be done, and I believe it will happen.
            BSIT Software Engineering
            " All the best people I know use Linux "

Comment

Working...
            X